Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Most important electronic equipment

what about making landfall in a strange place? what is the question?
eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2002

Peter_pan is on a distinguished road

Go slow! Very slow!
Old 03-30-2002

Pangaea is on a distinguished road

Hi Eric,
There was no question. I was refering to the last sentence in your post. Blue water= making landfall. I''ve only made one blue water landfall. It was on a Flying Duchman 12 (51'') but I do alot of sailing at night in Buzzards Bay (S. E. Mass.) and even in areas I know quite well, my eyes are glued to my radar, gps and depth. (and with no moon sometimes). For me, it would be a white knuckle ride without radar or depth.(you voted gps only,right?)
Picture making a landfall at night with islands, rocks and shoals around you. You can''t always drop a hook and wait for morning. There is no ONE most important gadget.

Dennis L.
Old 03-30-2002

Fran49829 is on a distinguished road

Circumstances are different depending on where and when you sail and what kind of boat you have. I know my waters pretty well, can almost always see the bottom if it gets shallower than 15 feet, and study my charts before and during. So for me GPS is #1 followed by VHF so I can get the weather reports which I monitor every 3 hours. Two things which scare me are severe weather and meeting up with a large boat in zero or near zero visibility ( it is interesting that my main fears are about things that have never happpened to me).
Old 04-02-2002

Red Beard 58 is on a distinguished road

Alan...I had to read that question for a week before I answered it...Read it again...You''re first choice to intergrate with your GPS?...I''d like my chartplotter when you look at it that way...But what do I know?...lol
Old 04-05-2002

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road

Alan Porter: I am with you, but I only have 25 years experience. I have sailed through fog so thick you can''t see the ..(yea we know) with only a depth sounder and a compass and a chart. These items don''t lie. I can find my way into any harbor if I know my direction and depth. GPS can be off 15 or more feet even today, and that can put you on the rocks. My motto: If in doubt, stay in 30 feet. My depth sounder, or a lead line will give me that info. You don''t need a GPS or a Loran or a radar. To say these are needed in order to sail is doing a great diservice to those of us who cruised in the days when these items did not even exist. You don''t need an electronics store to go cruising.
Old 04-06-2002

Constantin is on a distinguished road

It also depends a bit on what you''re sailing/motoring. On our catamaran we typically see danger before we hit it - as we only draw 3 feet. Even in Maine, the water color changes significantly as the depth changes from near surface (i.e. less than 3 feet) to greater depths. My issue with our depth sounder is that it does not look ahead - i.e. you don''t see rapidly rising rocks in time. Someday I may go for a forward-looking/scanning variety to give protection to both hulls and better warning.

That being said, I still prefer a working DGPS over a depth sounder for the parts of the world we currently sail in. On our boat, a lead line gives the same result as our depth sounder, does not rely on electricity, etc. Approaching any anchorage at night or in foggy conditions is risky and if you don''t know your way around it''s better to stand off until conditions clear. Sailing is not about keeping a schedule but getting there and back in one piece.

But my choices would change if I were sailing around the world. There, a forward-looking, scanning depth sounder might be a requirement given when some of the surveys were made that make up our maps, the positional errors, etc. I thought most of the rough positional errors were supposed to be addressed via space-based surveying but I guess this has not yet happened...

Anyway, the original question referred to what one would want to integrate. I prefer radar to date b/c such overlays allow you to easily differentiate fixed objects such as buoys and land masses from other objects like other ships. My next radar, GPS chartplotter will have such functionality (5+years from now).
Old 04-22-2002

docsabre is on a distinguished road

I am trying to find a bow pulpit for a CQR for my sabre 32, any thoughts

Doc
Old 04-22-2002

Hey Doc,
Mabey I can help.
dlafrinere@hotmail.com

Dennis
Old 04-22-2002

Irwin 32.
What about safety from colisions from other craft in the fog and at night? Depth and knot won''t help you there.
Radar also.
True, you don''t need an electronics store to go cruising, but the sea is out to get you (so to speak) so I''ll use all the help I can get. I''ts not cheating... it''s smart.

Dennis