Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
NUMBER 88 IS THE BEST tributo ao Frederico

Filho, parabéns!! Para o ano há mais!!!

(A tribute to my son, that made me the proudest dad on Earth!)

Obrigado querido filho!

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-30-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2007

LakeTravisP26 is on a distinguished road
I have three girls so it is hard to argue with greatest son.

That is a great vidio - thanks for sharing it with us. You have every reason to e proud.

BTW, when do you sleep?
Old 09-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giu-

You should be proud..he's great kid from what I've seen, and rapidly becoming a great sailor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-14-2007
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Cool kid ...

Hey, Alex, I'm getting all misty over my coffee here.

Nice video, cool kid, great dad. Very nice.

Kurt
Old 09-14-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for sharing that Alex. In 2 hours I'm leaving on a jetplane to visit my son down in NC. His wife just gave birth to his first son 2 weeks ago, making me a grand dad - I'll be seeing him for the first time, two father & son generations renewing their bond together.

Your video just made me remember how proud I am as well. Well done Dad.
Old 09-14-2007
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Cool! Fred seems to have full control over everything under sail - comes from learning to sail in an optimist
At what age did he get his first opti? We cannot get the youngest in opti-school before she's 7, so I'm considering buying one for her now, so she can start early (she's 4 and loves sailing).
Old 09-14-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JomsViking View Post
Cool! Fred seems to have full control over everything under sail - comes from learning to sail in an optimist
At what age did he get his first opti? We cannot get the youngest in opti-school before she's 7, so I'm considering buying one for her now, so she can start early (she's 4 and loves sailing).
hehehehehe that brings excellent memories...thanks for asking.

He got his own optimist as a birthday gift in July 2005, because that is when he started racing in the club. Before that he sailed in club boats, in the Optimist initiation program at CNC (Clube Naval de Cascais).

Fred sails since he was a baby with us, but he starterd the Optimists at age 6, because he was little too small at 5.

In fact he was so small when he started that he needed help to get out of the boat, because at the ramp, if he got out thru the side he would be under water...ehehehehe

He was taller sitting on the edge of the boat, than standing up!!

He could not carry the sail and mast on his own...

and better...he learnt how to tie and rig a sail, before he learnt how to tie his shoes and how to read...

sailing for him was a joke...a place to play with the other kids...and he still thinks about this today...I don't and never foirced anything on him, he does it because he wants. Of course it help seeing me sail and the influence I have on him as a sailor dad...(altough I admit he has the "speed" bug on him...He seems to smile more when going faster.

I strongly suggest you do not initiate your children before they are 5 into 6.

If they get scared for some reason, they will block it once and for all. Off course some kids are more mature than others at 5 or 6, so you know best.

Try to sail in a opti with them before..show them around....and above all DO NOT send them on their own if you can't follow them in a power boat.

I spent countless days and hours, off the coast of Cascais, in my rubber dinghy cruising side by side along Fred, less than 2 feet from him, while he sailed on his own...

Today, its embarrassing for him, if I get near him while he sails...he just comes to me so I tune his sail or change the rigging.

All the best and hope you suceed at intiating your children into this wonderfull sport and activitiy that bound us all toghether. Best wishes!!

Alex

Last edited by Giulietta; 09-14-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Awesome video! You're a great dad Alex, Fred is lucky.

Old 09-14-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
So sad to see such a dysfunctional family.

Onya Alex and you too Fred.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-14-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Thanks for sharing that Alex. In 2 hours I'm leaving on a jetplane to visit my son down in NC. His wife just gave birth to his first son 2 weeks ago, making me a grand dad - I'll be seeing him for the first time, two father & son generations renewing their bond together.

Your video just made me remember how proud I am as well. Well done Dad.

Where will you be in NC? I am in Newton near Hickory. If you're close, we could meet, get drunk, and lie to each other...!