Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
trailer sailing coast of maine

we are thinking of heading to maine for columbus day weekend with the trailerable 22 catalina. anyone with suggestions.. worries related to parking the trailer and vehicle, and finding a ramp(s). So far have found that Boothbay harbor is a no go for both reasons.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2007

sstrong200 is on a distinguished road
You could try Centerboard Yacht Club, ( tp://w ww.centerboard.org/ ) they share a ramp with my Marina. or try HandyBoat. ( tp://handyboat.com/handyboat/index.html ) Both offer great access to Portland Harbor and Casco Bay.. Plenty of islands and coves to check out.
Old 09-17-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
MITA Maine Island Trial Association

Covers all the islands off the coast. Public, private, camp only here, fires or no fires, pets or no pets, number of campers allowed. Such stuff.

I don't know if it covers any ramps or shore related stuff. I have just seen the book and the in-laws and glanced in it. They go every summer.
Old 09-17-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I'm not a "Mainer" as they say up that way, but over the yrs I've gone there every sept. Booth Bay (Bar Harbor too) is the last place to find solitude! Anyway, most all the harbors have harbor masters and then can be reached by phone. My personal likes are Camden (have lunch on the warf), and (which is in everone's minds eye of what working fishing village looks like) Stonington. They both have public ramps. Rockland is by passed by many tourists and it also has a public ramp. You might also check out Belfast. the town dock is right there and the harbor is real nice. Penoboscot Bay is the large body of water most of midcoast maine is on. It's kind of intimating and seems like the ocen to me. But then I I was in a kayak! The MTA is a great source for island camping.. don't think I'd be sleeping on a 22 cat. Also most of the shores are rocky, the tides run about 20ft if i remember right. Lastly you may want to take a trip up the Penobscot river or one of the other rivers. I think most harbor masters can be reached by looking up any particular towns chamber of commerce. There are some very large lakes in Maine too!
have fun!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2007

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
I'd strongly recommend you use Rockland as the place to splash the boat - you have Vinalhaven, the Barred Islands and others easily within reach and Rockland has a discount marine store as well as repair facilies and food supplies. Plus a supply of Red Stripe beer at the supermarket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 09-17-2007

jldooley is on a distinguished road
chip ford . com
he sails a catalina 22 and has detailed logs of sailing in maine july 2005 and aug 2004
charts, logs, everything you need.
best of luck, jody Catalina 22 8917
Old 09-17-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I'd contact marinas and yacht clubs as opposed to just looking for public ramps. Many marinas will let you splash and park for a fee. Then you don't have to worry about where to put the trailer. It might be a bit more costly, but it will provide more freedom.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me