Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007

CaseyJones is on a distinguished road
Ran aground .. advice?

This is my first post, been reading the forums for a little while..

I sailed a lot as a kid, and recently got back into it after a few years of not sailing

So a friend and I were cruising on his Tanzer 22 on Lac Deschene, and we suffered a touch of 'is that the channel marker or the shoal marker?' ..

.. Well.. it was the shoal marker.. .. sailing on a close reach in light winds, doing maybe 4 knots and *thud* / slight bounce we come to a dead stop..

Dropped the sails immediately and kicked on the outboard while trying to heel the boat using our weight .. we were able to pivot around a full 360 degrees, but not make headway in any direction, so it looks like our keel hit and bounced on top of a rock

Thankfully it was race night and a crashboat heard our whistle.. A couple of friendly gents took our spring line and towed us our while we hung off the port shroud to heel the boat as much as possible..

no discernable 'scraping' or knocking as we came free.. so i guess we were not held as badly as we thought..

checkd the bilge when we got back to the marina, and it was was dry as a bone as were the keel screws (what's the proper term for those) .. Anyways we're wondering 'how bad could the damage be?' and should we haul it out early, or let it soak as long as possible to see if there's any cracks or leaks that may surface over the next few weeks.

Any advice is appreciated! .. It was quite a scare, and the first grounding for both of us.. .. a story to tell and a learning experience that *hopefully* won't result in an expensive repair ..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like little to no damage done. I'd just keep an eye on things around the keel bolts and wait to assess any damage at your normal haulout which can't be too far away! We all hit bottom and most boats are tougher than we think and most damage is immediately evident if serious. Chances are all you will need it a bottom paint touch up. Welcome aboard!!
Old 09-19-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Yes, we are all "well grounded" in the sailing experience around here!
Old 09-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Casey-

Doesn't sound like too bad a grounding... Just remember there are two types of sailors—those who go aground and those who lie about never going aground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-19-2007

CaseyJones is on a distinguished road
Oh I'll admit to my own stupidity any day of the week! .. I'm just happy my first experience grounding was in a relatively indestructible Tanzer 22 ! .. Apparenltly they're well known for their ability to take a beating and sail away from it

We made the mistake of following the guy ahead of us isntead of reading and thinking about the markers.. he cut the buoy on the wrong side too, but got lucky

Never assume the guy in the other boat knows what he's doing I suppose
Old 09-19-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
With the motor running, trying running out the jib to heel the boat over. Unless you're really stuck, that usually does the trick.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-19-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I ran aground a few times...but never on a full keel boat...yet...and I hope not to do it....

However, this summer, on a particular anchoring place, when the tide went down, my keel touch the ground, and we had a 10ş list....so she's not a virgin anymore...bottom was sand. Took the opportunity to clean water line on one side!!
Old 09-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giu-

You have ten feet of draft.... I take it you were using the dinghy to clean the bottom..

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-19-2007

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
.. Well.. it was the shoal marker.. .. sailing on a close reach in light winds, doing maybe 4 knots and *thud* / slight bounce we come to a dead stop..

Dropped the sails immediately and kicked on the outboard while trying to heel the boat using our weight .. we were able to pivot around a full 360 ..
I wouldn't have dropped the sails....I would have cranked the engine to hopefully get pointed in the right direction and then put up more sail.

I'm in North Carolina, so I can think of very few sailing seasons when I haven't hit ground. I've had anchors on halyards and winches many times. But fortunately it's usely mud around here.
Old 09-19-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I try to do as little as possible and let the tide come up. Keep an eye on the health of your impeller if you run the engine after running aground...