Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
I am a paper chart kind of guy!

So I am starting to build up a library of the paper charts I'll want to have for my cruise, but damn these things get expensive. It seems like there are a lot of different sources for the charts and the prices average around 14.95 - 29.99 per chart.

Considering the NOAA and Admiralty charts are basically a commodity, has anyone found a truly discount seller of these charts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Depends on where you are going and what charts you will need. If you plan on cruising the US coast lines, you can get alot of bang for your buck with Maptech chart books.
Old 09-20-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Aside from the convenience of a spiral-bound book of charts, what I like about Maptech charts is the lat & lon co-ordinates provided for most nav-aids and waypoints boaters would likely use when programing routes for chartplotters.
Old 09-20-2007
Audrey Paige

Allayne is on a distinguished road
Charts

Hello, several years ago, when we first started cruising, we had the same problem. How do we obtain charts at a reasonable price? I went to the e-bay auction site and purchased several charts from the sellers helping us get from Michigan to the Caribbean. Map-tec charts are good. I also got lucky on e-bay and purchased 2 of the 4 Caribbean chart packets for $25.oo each and they were new. When you get to the Bahamas or the windward or leeward islands, some one is always selling charts, just listen on the morning nets. Good Luck Dennis s/v Audrey Paige
Old 09-20-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I agree with maptech for the usa...but you don't say where you are headed so what other charts do you need?
BTW...if you join the SSCA..you might have access to somewhat out of date charts from cruisers who have donated them to the club. Access to their cruising archives and logs is alone worth the price of admission and they are a fine group of folks in general as well. try: www.ssca.org for more info.
Old 09-20-2007

Thanks for the input all. Not being bashful about the cruising plans, but they are not much more defined than South at the moment. I'll be pulling out of Galveston Bay at the end of the next hurricane season, a little more than a year from now in November. I’ll head SE to the islands before heading SW to the canal. Hoping to work my way down for a Pacific crossing come March.

I've heard the advice before about listening for charts along the way as cruisers are always trading charts with boats going the opposite direction. Has that changed at all with more and more sailors relying on electronic charts alone?

No arguments here on the Chartbooks. I've used them and like them, but don't recall one being available for the Gulf Coast. I'll still need to piece a small set together for my current cruising grounds, the Texas and Mexican Gulf Coast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-20-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Since there are not chart books for the gulf...you can use Bellingham Chart printers to create your own 2/3 size chart folios pretty cheaply here:
http://tidesend.com/folios.htm

Maptech makes chart books for the rest of your voyage and they now even have one tht covers Puerto Rico AND the DR which was a gap before. They bought CYC charts a few years ago and those are great chart packs for the rest of the way south to Trinidad.
Old 09-21-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
You will probably find that people are willing to trade the chart for where they came from if you have the chart for where they are going to...
Old 09-21-2007

Great info again. The chart books do have most of what I want, but I am very interested in the black and white reproductions from Bellingham. Has anyone tried navigating on the 2/3 sized black and white charts? I like the idea of being able to pull them out of the folio unlike the chart books which are spiral bound, but the lack of color concerns me a little.

Old 09-21-2007
Audrey Paige

Allayne is on a distinguished road
Black and white charts

Hi, again. I obtained a free sample of the black and white charts that were 2/3 rds the size of normal charts. I liked the idea of the smaller sized charts, but the black and white would be too confusing for me to use. At night, or in bad weather the last thing you would want to add is anything that adds more chance of error. A large number of cruisers use only electronic charting, I prefere to use paper charts. The chance of an electrical power surge or lightning strike, can wipe out electronics pretty quick. Dennis s/v Audrey Paige