SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Shipmate alcohol stoves.... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/370-shipmate-alcohol-stoves.html)

RobHoman 11-27-2000 02:34 PM

Shipmate alcohol stoves....

The boat I am purchasing has an older "Shipmate Alcohol Stove" that utilizes a pressure cannister.

Does anybody have any experience with these?
Are they in general safe to use, or should we consider chucking it and installing a new stove?

Any thoughts will be appreciated!!

WesleyBailey 11-27-2000 03:29 PM

I own an old Pearson with the original Homestead alcohol stove in it. I used it a couple of times. It was very nostalgic, taking me back to my days as a youth when we camped out cooking on venerable Coleman stoves. Back then I had Coleman stove, Coleman lanterns, Coleman heater... You never forget that smell. Or the momentary panic when the vaporization faulters and flaming alcohol squirts out. Those were the days...!

But I digress...

After a few of attempts at using the Homestead and trying to "tune it up" I bought a small propane camp stove that we now set up on top of the Homestead. Much hotter, much easier, much faster and, yes, I''d say safer too. Afterall, we unscrew the propane after each use, and the disposable tanks don''t last long enough to rust thru.

Another propane appliance that I would recommend is the Magma Stove/Grill. It''s strickly an outside toy; but it frees up space in the galley, keeps the heat outside and it''s a great grill for kabobs, fish, steaks, etc.

Alcohol stoves were great in their day, but for me that day has passed.

Wesley Bailey
P30 Pilgrim

Rebelstar 01-25-2001 09:30 PM

:) If it''s like the one i had on my older boat when i got it i say cuck it, ever time i thought i had that thing working right it let me down , u can pick up a good stove for about 300.00 give or take and when your out there it''s worth it belive me good luck on it

jnfrey 01-28-2001 08:22 PM

i used to have an alchohol stove that you didn''t pump. they''re sold now for about $250 at marine stores in one burner and two burner models and they work just fine. much safer than propane, they don''t explode, they don''t poison you with vapors.

glennatkins 02-03-2001 01:35 PM

I have an old alcohol two burner in my 1969 Coronado 25, pressurized cannister like yours. I''ve been living aboard for about three months now. After I cleaned it up a bit, it has been just fine. It''s how I cook. I didn''t like it at first. But once I really learned how to use it, I have no problems with it. I''m going to keep using it. Two liters of fuel last a very long time. Keep it. Save the money for something else.

NickArgento 11-12-2007 10:08 AM

Shipmate alcohol stove

I am buyng a Southern Cross 31 with a Shipmate alcohol stove. It would be useful to learn the proper way to use it, everyone seems to recommend trading it.

Goodnewsboy 11-12-2007 10:36 AM

a Shipmate stove was the premier brand and is very well made. If you can live with alcohol and you learn to do it, it will be fine.

As an alternative to trading it, you may want to consider converting it to gas. See:

http://www.tauntonstove.com/services.html

sailingdog 11-12-2007 10:56 AM

Nick-

Welcome to sailnet.

Are you aware that the thread you've responded to is over six years old...and as such, should probably have been left for dead. Reviving old threads is considered bad net etiquette...so please avoid doing it in the future.

BTW, one reason many people have gotten rid of pressurized alcohol stoves is how dangerous they can be. A non-pressurized Origo or a LPG setup would serve you far better IMHO. Also, alcohol is one of the most expensive fuels, in terms of heating capacity per dollar, and if you're planning on doing anything longer term in duration, you'll probably be far happier with an LPG solution.

That said, if you do go with upgrading to LPG, you really should install a propane sniffer. :D