Future Seasickness Warning or Not - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 Old 09-23-2007 Thread Starter
I grew up on this ship ..
 
FullandBy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Ah I see now. Not sure if walking early equates to good sense of balance. But I have to agree that a good sense of balance does seem to make people more prone. More sensitive inner ear. So perhaps I should just ask my friends if they are clumsy
FullandBy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 33 Old 09-23-2007
SENIOR CHIEF
 
USCGRET1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YORKTOWN, VA
Posts: 1,380
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
...whatever it takes, as puke is gross...and a bad experience for them as well....
USCGRET1990 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #13 of 33 Old 09-23-2007
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 14
         
very, very true...remember to stand upwind and have them face downwind when they puke....
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGRET1990 View Post
...whatever it takes, as puke is gross...and a bad experience for them as well....

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #14 of 33 Old 09-23-2007
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
tdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 16,647
Thanks: 15
Thanked 111 Times in 104 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullandBy View Post
Ah I see now. Not sure if walking early equates to good sense of balance. But I have to agree that a good sense of balance does seem to make people more prone. More sensitive inner ear. So perhaps I should just ask my friends if they are clumsy
Hmm,,,interesting. I am without doubt one of the clumsiest duffers I've ever met and I have a rotten sense of balance. Could never ride a surfboard or a skate, hopeless on a windsurfer and tend to end up in hospital when I get on any two wheeled machine.

Never been legitimately seasick.

Oh, and in case you are wondering I'm crap in a dinghy and would not make any claims for my overall sailing ability. It does not come naturally to me, I need to work at it all the time.

One of my best mates is the best windsurfer, roller blader , sailor in general that I know. He has superb balance. He cannot go out in anything approaching heavy weather. Crossing an ocean would be his worst nightmare. Technicolour nighmare at that . Go figure.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic

Last edited by tdw; 09-23-2007 at 09:04 PM.
tdw is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #15 of 33 Old 09-23-2007
Peace, Courtney
 
DJEVANS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,387
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
     
And I'm a former gymnast (no, seriously, in my MUCH younger days) and I get seasick...

Our strength is often composed of the weakness that we're damned if we are going to show.

-Mignon McLaughlin
DJEVANS is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #16 of 33 Old 09-23-2007
SENIOR CHIEF
 
USCGRET1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YORKTOWN, VA
Posts: 1,380
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Hmm,,,interesting. I am without doubt one of the clumsiest duffers I've ever met and I have a rotten sense of balance. Could never ride a surfboard or a skate, hopeless on a windsurfer and tend to end up in hospital when I get on any two wheeled machine.

Never been legitimately seasick.

Oh, and in case you are wondering I'm crap in a dinghy and would not make any claims for my overall sailing ability. It does not come naturally to me, I need to work at it all the time.

One of my best mates is the best windsurfer, roller blader , sailor in general that I know. He has superb balance. He cannot go out in anything approaching heavy weather. Crossing an ocean would be his worst nightmare. Technicolour nighmare at that . Go figure.
Thanks...you be my case in point! I walked early, was an avid ice skater, water skier, and snow skier. I get big time sea sick when conditions are right.
USCGRET1990 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #17 of 33 Old 09-23-2007
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
tdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 16,647
Thanks: 15
Thanked 111 Times in 104 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGRET1990 View Post
Thanks...you be my case in point! I walked early, was an avid ice skater, water skier, and snow skier. I get big time sea sick when conditions are right.

Ms Wombat reckons that watching me lurch around on deck is positively disconcerting yet I have never fallen overboard and it is a very rare occasion that I feel unsure of myself onboard.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
tdw is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #18 of 33 Old 09-23-2007
SENIOR CHIEF
 
USCGRET1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YORKTOWN, VA
Posts: 1,380
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Ms Wombat reckons that watching me lurch around on deck is positively disconcerting yet I have never fallen overboard and it is a very rare occasion that I feel unsure of myself onboard.
...and that refers to sea sickness...because....???...
USCGRET1990 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #19 of 33 Old 09-23-2007
Senior Member
 
RickLaPaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 407
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullandBy View Post
Ah I see now. Not sure if walking early equates to good sense of balance. But I have to agree that a good sense of balance does seem to make people more prone. More sensitive inner ear. So perhaps I should just ask my friends if they are clumsy
Maybe just take out white males between 12 and 53 years old.

Since you know we can't dance worth a crap..........
RickLaPaz is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #20 of 33 Old 09-23-2007
I'm the FNG still...
 
Lancer28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 397
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Ginger tablets onboard work fast (within 40 minutes) so keep them around. I've never encountered a person who is allergic to them and everyone (about 9 people that I can think of just on MY boat alone) says they work 100%.

They can even relieve active sea sickness if you have the person up in the cockpit where they can see the horizon and get fresh air (so the pills stay in).

Robert

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lancer28 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Delicate Art of Preventing Seasickness Liza Copeland Seamanship Articles 0 03-25-2003 07:00 PM
The Delicate Art of Preventing Seasickness Liza Copeland Cruising Articles 0 03-25-2003 07:00 PM
The Delicate Art of Preventing Seasickness Liza Copeland Her Sailnet Articles 0 03-25-2003 07:00 PM
Radar Proximity Warning Systems Jim Sexton Seamanship Articles 0 10-31-1999 07:00 PM
Radar Proximity Warning Systems Jim Sexton Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 10-31-1999 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome