SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Future Seasickness Warning or Not (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/37062-future-seasickness-warning-not.html)

FullandBy 09-23-2007 06:39 PM

Future Seasickness Warning or Not

Looking for opinions.

I have been taking friends out sailing and many of them for the first time. Some get sick and others don't. So should I forewarn them ahead of going out sailing that they might feel sick but then have them thinking about getting sick before we actually go out or do I just say nothing and have them find out enroute.

What is the proper etiquette?

Cheers

sailingdog 09-23-2007 06:46 PM

I would ask them if they've ever been out on a boat, and if they have, whether or not seasickness was an issue. I'd also highly recommend you give them hints on how to avoid seasickness. Avoiding greasy foods and alcohol, getting a good night's sleep, staying well hydrated, dressing warmly, taking an antihistamine, etc, all help people from getting seasick.

These can make for a much nicer trip. Also, by doing so, you can find out whether they're allergic to any of the common remedies for seasickness—ginger-based cookies, candies and soda; dramamine, bonine, peppermint, etc.

RickLaPaz 09-23-2007 06:57 PM

Peanut butter and white bread, whole milk and/or saltine crackers. Pull 'em out when neccessary.........

RB

sailingdog 09-23-2007 07:02 PM

Umm.. milk can make people sick... Peanut butter is kind of heavy, and a fair number of people are allergic to it...saltine crackers are good choice, as is the white bread—both are good at absorbing the acid in the stomach and settling it down.

RickLaPaz 09-23-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 196800)
Umm.. milk can make people sick... Peanut butter is kind of heavy, and a fair number of people are allergic to it...saltine crackers are good choice, as is the white breadóboth are good at absorbing the acid in the stomach and settling it down.

Agree 100% with the last two. But the first two have worked for me for ages whenever the feeling comes--usually induced from a combo of not enough sleep prior to departure, copious amounts of imported beers and unidentified hor's douvres the night before and/or my arch nemisis, diesel exhaust fumes at the helm. Blechhh squared.......

USCGRET1990 09-23-2007 08:29 PM

Ask the folks when they first walked. If well under 10 months, they will most likely get sea sick. If you prepare ahead of time, like pills or the patch, you will nip the problem in the bud. I have a vast amount of "sea-sick" experience, if anyone needs it.

FullandBy 09-23-2007 08:38 PM

So if they walked before 10 months they are more prone to seasickness? I have never heard that one before. Is this from personal experience or from some study done because that is pretty neat.

FullandBy 09-23-2007 08:40 PM

I get the general impression that I should forewarn people beforehand. I guess that does make sense. I'm the sort of person who is likely to dwell on something like that and for me it might make it worse. I should maybe put some ginger tea into them before leaving the dock to be on the safe side.

cheers

USCGRET1990 09-23-2007 08:44 PM

If you have a good sense of balance (ie walking early) you will be prone to sea sickness...

USCGRET1990 09-23-2007 08:45 PM

...something I configured during 20 years of working in the USCG...