Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Just cranky today.

I was in no way implying forum members were Know it alls. I was refering to people in general. This place is great!

I like to race on other peoples boats too. It hurts so see them blow a $5000 chute . . . but I get over it easier. I can't afford that kind of thing myself. I enjoyed the heck out of racing our Coronado 15 as a teenager. It was affordable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
In no way does racing help prepare you for the myriad tasks and skills required for safe and comfortable cruising - things like choosing anchorages, securely setting the hook for overnights, outfitting the boat itself for comfort and (shorthanded) safety.

But there's nothing like racing to teach you how to get the most out of your boat's potential performance. Having other boats nearby trying to do the same thing allows you to benchmark your settings and immediately see improvements. It also allows you to better judge the effects of currents and wind shifts across a body of water.

Some of these things may not be so important to a cruiser, but in an area that gets crowded, sailing as fast as reasonable may mean the difference between arriving at a harbour in time for the last mooring bouy or the best anchoring nook. Not to mention the satisfaction of having shaved an hour off your last similar passage.

There's room for both schools, and that's the beauty of this sport.
Old 09-24-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
It really comes down to whether you let others define you, or you define yourself. What matters is that YOU enjoy YOUR time on YOUR boat. Doesn't matter how you do that, just as long as that is what you do.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 09-24-2007
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Stereotypes and generalizations are oversimplifications that may well represent statistical summaries but aren't "truth." Nevertheless, some such simplicifications can be informative or at least entertaining.

Racing can teach you a lot about moving the boat through the water. I'm not suggesting you plan a passage with a full racing crew. I do think that if you understand the implications of halyard tension, jib car position, vang tension, and backstay tension you can carve some serious time off that ocean passage.

On the other hand, there is hardly anything more entertaining than watching a horde of racers trying to dock at the end of a long point-to-point race.

The "best" sailors I know are either cruisers who race or racers who cruise. There is no substitute for varied experience.

Me? I cruise my boat and race OPB.
Old 09-24-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
When I raced big boats the "marine domestic" or paid hand taught me more about sailing than any other person ever has. The biggest lessons were how to jury rig in gear breakdowns. He made me confidant by removing the fear factor. I sincerely believe that without his sharing of knowledge, I would never have come to the enjoyment levels I have.
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, having some racing experience is probably a good thing for any cruiser.

There are certain skills that get emphasized in racing that are beneficial to the cruising sailor. Learning to maximize the performance of the boat in light air is something that any cruiser can benefit from. Learning to de-power the main to keep the boat under control in heavy air is another. However, there is a lot of stuff that racers do that really are irrelavant for the cruising sailor. Most cruising sailors aren't going to have the crew or the patience to deal with a symetrical spinnaker when asymetrical spinnakers are much simpler to deal with short-handed. Most cruising sailors have to know about heaving-to, dealing with heavy weather, anchoring, provisioning a boat for a voyage, and many other things that most racers don't really pay attention to.

The more advanced knowledge of sail shape and handling that you get from racing is definitely to your advantage if you cruise, but it isn't necessary to have to cruise. Conversely, knowing how to set a tandem anchor or a bahamian moor setup isn't generally required for the racer... but knowing it wouldn't hurt them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-24-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Competition drives improvement harder and further than it would normally happen without it.

If you don't feel the need to improve faster, don't race.

Last edited by tenuki; 09-24-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Stereotypes and generalizations are oversimplifications that may well represent statistical summaries but aren't "truth."

ROFLMAO.

Irony is alive and well!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.