Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007

toben is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback everyone. In regards to my safety, I am asking questions now, because I want to take a trip like this some time next year, and I am preparing by gathering the knowledge necessary for the trip. I'm not leaving tomorrow, in fact I'm still looking at boats and the proper equipment I will need. I will get lots of experience on the boat before I go. I grew up sailing smaller boats and I am looking forward to new adventures.

I am taking your suggestions into account. The original question was should I do this, not I am doing this.

However thanks for the concern. Sailnet seems like a good place to ask questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
You are either crazy or completely unqualified....either way...don't don't do the trip!

Last edited by toben; 09-24-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Toben,

You are wise to ask these questions. Wiser still if you listen closely to the answers. Cameraderie said bluntly what many were surely thinking and what some of us tried to say more diplomatically.

It is a good start that you grew up sailing small boats, and that you're keen for adventure. But you didn't say how much off-shore sailing you've done, so in case the answer is "none", I would want to impress upon you that it is an altogether different experience from small boat sailing in coastal waters. You must be self-sufficient, well equipped, and in a boat designed for the rigorous task. If you are experienced off-shore, you know this already, and that the Catalina 27 was not designed as an off-shore boat.

If you want to make off-shore passages, get a boat that's up to it. If you don't want to invest in the blue-water boat, stay coastal for this trip. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. And if you are rusty on the sailing, don't rush into a trip like this either. Anybody that's had a hiatus from sailing could benefit from a couple seasons of coastal cruising to re-build experience, confidence, and judgement. Best of luck in your search and planning.
Old 09-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Good...get your 30' or so production coastal cruiser and get used to it...then STICK to the coast and work your way down slowly to the Keys and the Islands you want to be in.
Especially with a production coastal cruiser, you can't be in a hurry and you need to be able to get into port quickly and avoid big seas and weather as much as possible.
Your ROUTE south will be CC Canal...to Newport and LI Sound...down through the City....along the Jersey shore and up the Delaware by...down the Chesapeake and then down the ICW with day hops "outside" as weather permits.

Sorry for the bluntness....I thought this was in your immediate plans and I react strongly when I think there is a good chance of death!
Old 09-24-2007

toben is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Sorry for the bluntness....I thought this was in your immediate plans and I react strongly when I think there is a good chance of death!
LOL

No problem! I'm just throwing out what if scenarios at this point. Next Question: I want to take a Hobie 16 around cape horn with my 3 kids tomorrow, I'm only taking a few days of food and water because I want to save weight and fly the hull as much as possible, and I am going to try navigating by sextant for the first time. Anyone know if EPIBR batteries can last 20 years because I have a real old model I picked up on eBay for $1.00? I probably won't need it because Hobie cats are really stable.

Last edited by toben; 09-24-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
"Next Question: I want to take a Hobie 16 around cape horn tomorrow..."

Now you're finally talking sense. I'm glad we're getting through to you...
Old 09-24-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
To train up for the Hobie Horn Expedition you should try riding a barrel over Niagara Falls.

"July 11th 1920
Englishman Charles G. Stephens equipped his wooden barrel with an anvil for ballast. Charles tied himself to the anvil for security. After the plunge, Chucks right arm was the only item left in the barrel."

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 09-24-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2007
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Like others, I would suggest the coastal route thru Long Island Sound, thru Hell's Gate, then down the Jersey coast. Up Delaware Bay on down the Delaware Coast is a toss up. Delaware Bay can be very rough, has a strong current, and lots of big ships going fast. You can brake the trip up into 24 hour jumps this way and not be too far from a safe harbor should weather worsens or boat breaks.
Old 09-24-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
My $.02 worth:

Don't do the trip if you aren't competent and equipped to sail the boat in most any weather, and navigate, and have competent crew as well. Three is probably minimum.

Rent a life raft. Get a handheld radio that really is waterproof. An EPIRB is probably a good idea also. Make sure you are equipped for and proficient at man overboard maneuvers.

It is now Autumn, and still hurricane season. You must watch your weather and have contingency plans. If it looks possible for a storm to interfere with your trip, don't wait to do the contingency plan. Survivors chicken out early.

Outside the Cape is a stretch of nothing but a shoal beach. What harbors there are are shoal and difficult to approach. You must be prepared to stay well offshore while transiting this area, no matter what. Having said that, it is not a bad trip IF the wind is NW and there isn't fog. I'd hang in Provincetown for nice weather and make sure that my fuel tanks were full.

Clearing Nantucket Shoals is a similar deal. Stay further off than you think necessary and don't place too much faith in charted depths in this area. Not bad with NW wind and the right weather. If you run into fog, however, your navigation had better be top notch and your engine needs to run flawlessly. You'd also have some experience in the stop (the engine), look, and listen drill and other measures that are necessary when in reduced visibility.

Those northwesters can blow pretty good in the Fall, and if so, you may have a pretty steep sea to deal with. Your trip will probably either be beating against a SW or reaching/close reaching before a NW wind. Fatigue and seasickness are formidable foes. You and your crew must be ready for them.

You will cross the approaches to New York whether you take the CC Canal or not. The prudent navigator never relies on the deck watch in a larger vessel. Don't get close to them. Slow or stop if necessary.

Finally, there is and can be no guarantee of safety. Be prepared, or just take AmTrak.

Last edited by Goodnewsboy; 09-24-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

I am not an off shore sailor (heck, I'm *barely* a coastal sailor) but I would not describe a trip from Montauk Point NY to Newport VA as 'off shore'. The mileage is about 300 nm or so. If you average 5 kts that's only 2.5 days. Sit in Montauk until you get a favorable weather forecast and then go! Even a Catalina 27 should be able to make that trip. I don't think you would ever be more than 75 mn from a harbor and often you would be much closer than that.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One other thing about going outside Cape Cod. The barrier beach at Chatham was breached earlier this year, meaning that there's a new opening and possibly new sand bars caused by the outflow from the new opening along the eastern side of the Cape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.