Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Well no-one else has mentioned this, but are you aware that there are no beer stores offshore ??? I don't think that a Catalina 27 has sufficient displacement or carrying capacity to allow you to provision properly. Best look at something a bit more sensible for offshore work - that has room for a keg or two, and lots of pickled eggs. Alberg 30/Pearson Triton/ Bayfield 29/Hughes 31/etc...

It's one thing to lose a mast or two, but if should happen to run short of beer you are in serious trouble !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2007
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Check out the Gulf Stream and carry on to Liverpool England.
Oops. Must remember to engage brain before typing.

Still, would be good to look at the Gulf Stream forecast and eddies to know where they are.

Thanks Boasun.
Old 09-25-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
Well no-one else has mentioned this, but are you aware that there are no beer stores offshore ??? I don't think that a Catalina 27 has sufficient displacement or carrying capacity to allow you to provision properly. Best look at something a bit more sensible for offshore work - that has room for a keg or two, and lots of pickled eggs. Alberg 30/Pearson Triton/ Bayfield 29/Hughes 31/etc...

It's one thing to lose a mast or two, but if should happen to run short of beer you are in serious trouble !
Don't worry; I think Davy keeps a few spares in his locker...
Old 09-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Barry:
I would not describe a trip from Montauk Point NY to Newport VA as 'off shore'

I've done this trip twice in the opposite ("easy") direction, (well once I was beaten back but that is another story)... and while it may not strictly qualify for "offshore status" it is definitely not a typical coastal cruise. First you have major shipping lanes and fishing activity and second, even though you may not be much more than 80 miles from land...you are often many more miles than that away from an inlet that you can enter in bad weather...Cape May and Ocean City are the only two possible inlets and both of those are dicey in bad weather. Finally, you are in the open Atlantic and subject to whatever conditions/systems are affecting the seas out there. It is a trip to be undertaken as if it were blue water rather than a coastal hop.
Old 09-25-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
I must be missing something. Itís a short trip and not very far from shore. I donít see this as a straight line route because of the prevailing winds and the need to tack. Favor the shore side of the tack and stay less then 40 mile or so off the coast. In fact if you do that itís within VHF range and a few minuets by helicopter if something unexpected happens as long as you donít let yourself wander too far from that 40 mile number. A lot of smaller powerboats go out that far and farther to fish in the canon off New York. Why does everybody see this as a major undertaking? At no point is he going to be more then a short day from a port so if he keeps track of the weather heís fine.

Everybody has to have a first trip out of sight of land and this one is short, safe and doable with a minimum of prior experience. Ask a few questions and make sure you are ready and just go for it.
Good luck and all the best,
Robert Gainer

PS. And bring an EPIRB and inflatable dinghy or liferaft. I also assume you are sailing with someone else because you will be in an area of traffic instead of mid ocean so you need to stand watch. If I were doing it I would install a Navik instead of an Autohelm but to each his own. But you do need some type of self steering. And you might want to try a shorter hop first to be sure you are comfortable with being out of sight of land. Itís not like most people think it is to be out of sight of land.
Old 09-25-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
What's the rush? There's no guarantee of a weather window for the "offshore" route and no guarantee that it will be faster even with favorable weather. If you've got the time, I wouldn't take the risk in a Catalina 27.

It's a different story with more experience and a more appropriate boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
What's the rush? There's no guarantee of a weather window for the "offshore" route and no guarantee that it will be faster even with favorable weather. If you've got the time, I wouldn't take the risk in a Catalina 27.

It's a different story with more experience and a more appropriate boat.
Never do a trip, any sailboat trip under a time constraint. If you need to be on a schedule put the boat on a trailer and go by truck.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 09-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan34C View Post
Never do a trip, any sailboat trip under a time constraint. If you need to be on a schedule put the boat on a trailer and go by truck.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Very true.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-25-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Regarding Barry's statement:

"I am not an off shore sailor (heck, I'm *barely* a coastal sailor) but I would not describe a trip from Montauk Point NY to Newport VA as 'off shore'. "

I would echo Cameraderie's comments with this anecdote:

About ten years ago, due to a schedule conflict I "missed out" on making this trip aboard a friend's 44 foot cutter. One of my brothers, and another friend that had sailed to NZ and back from US west coast, went along for the trip. While enroute, a subtropical depression formed unexpectedly off the coast of North Carolina and raced up the Eastern Seaboard. To this day, all of them refer to this as the "trip from hell". On a wing and a prayer they were able to limp into Atlantic City, where they recovered for several days from shell-shock. My friend that had sailed to NZ says it was the worst conditions he has ever encountered at sea.

I would not undertake that trip as lightly as some others have suggested here, and definitely not on a Catalina 27. But the Hobie trip around the Horn sounds like a good one for the record books. Go for it.
Old 09-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
John...right. Similar to my first "offshore" experience doing this trip. We had a low spring up and then stall putting the wind and seas on our nose and blowing a gale. After our 3rd day out (on a 44footer) and no sign of a let up, we turned tail after making 14 miles good to windward in 24 hours! We had to go all the way back to Norfolk for a port despite being off the latitude of Cape May. It was a lot nicer with the wind at our backs but I sure would not have been happy in my old Cat27 on that trip.

Robert... we were about 80 miles off the Jersey coast at one point as I recall. The real issue is not the distance from land but the lack of available inlets that are navigable in a gale.