Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007

toben is on a distinguished road
Cutting across the wide ocean

Suppose I want to sail from Boston to Virginia Beach. If I follow this fastest route which takes me way offshore in a 27 Catalina am I crazy? Or should I stick to the coastline?

Attached Thumbnails
Cutting across the wide ocean-boat.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

At a bare minimum I would go through the cape cod canal instead of around cape cod. If you do that, you can at least sail close to Block Island and then Montauk. From Montauk you have a long stretch of open water, but it's significantly less distance than your picture and you can have a more accurate weather forecast.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Toben,

You didn't say when you were planning to go, but irregardless I would strongly urge you to take the coastal route in a Catalina 27. If you nevertheless insist on taking the off-shore route, please at a minimum do not go out around the Cape and Nantucket Shoals. Go through the canal, out to Block Island, overnight there and check the weather carefully, then head for Cape May.

You will have to invest in ALL the requisite safety gear and equipement for off-shore sailing (such as storm sails, EPIRB, Liferaft, etc etc etc-- use the checklist from ORC). It will cost you a lot to get all that gear. Take a few extra days and enjoy the coastal trip instead.
Old 09-24-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Sometimes going offshore in the right boat can be easier than coastal - less worry about running aground, less traffic, etc. but the very fact that you're framing the question this way hints at your lack of experience. Not just picking your weather, but what do you have in mind for standing watches, etc on a multi-day passage?
Old 09-24-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
Agree with others. Take the Cape Cod Canal, through Buzzard's Bay past Montauk Pt. and then to Cape May. Worse case scenario is that you are no more than One day from land if you need assistance. You'll have some decent open water from Montauk to Cape May, but coastal everywhere else.

Have a fun trip.

DrB
Old 09-24-2007
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I suggest taking a look at the Gulf Stream and route to cross along the shortest distance.

That said, do the Cape Cod canal and go offshore from there. IMhO, and YMMV
Old 09-24-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I suggest taking a look at the Gulf Stream and route to cross along the shortest distance.

That said, do the Cape Cod canal and go offshore from there. IMhO, and YMMV
Check out the Gulf Stream and carry on to Liverpool England.
Old 09-24-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
I would think that with the prevailing winds you will end up tacking instead of that nice long straight line. After rounding the cape make a long tack towards NY then tack offshore again until you are 40 miles out and then tack back to destination.
Enjoy the trip and be careful,
Robert Gainer
Old 09-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
You are either crazy or completely unqualified....either way...don't don't do the trip!
Old 09-24-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
If I remember correctly, the outside passage around Cape Cod is sometimes refered to as a ships graveyard, or a graveyard of the Atlantic (other than the NC coast graveyard). I think there is a reason for that.
You should do a ton of research on this one before setting off. You are going to be traversing some of the busiest shipping lanes in the country (NY approach, Del. River approach, Norfolk/Chesapeake approach), so it would be wise to have some crew along for watchstanding. It isn't like the open ocean where you can get out of shipping lanes and be more clear (but not imune to) of risking collision.
Gear up the boat too, if you can't see land you can't swim to it (liferaft or at least a zodiac in tow). If you can't afford one, you can rent an EPIRB from BoatUS (yes you need it). Bilge pumps, both auto and manual. Mast head nav light (no one is going to see your little deck level lights).
I think there was a guy that solo circumnavigated a Catalina 27, but he most likely wasn't some guy that just got a boat and set off. He had to have been seasoned and the boat geared up for that.