SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   True Blue solo sailing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/37086-true-blue-solo-sailing.html)

TrueBlue 09-24-2007 02:49 PM

True Blue solo sailing

My wife and I have an agreement; since she has established quite clearly that she does not enjoy sailing when the wind is expected to blow above 12-15 knots, on those days - she spends time at the marina with her friends while I take the boat out without her.

This past weekend was one of those times when she chose to hang by the pool. No other crew were available, so on Saturday, I went out solo for a few hours and had a great time.

By 9:30 am, I left the marina under full sail with winds out of the south-southwest at 8-10 knots. I was beating for 8 miles averaging 5 knots, three tacks from Portsmouth to the Newport Bridge, where I came about for a downwind run back north - wing 'n wing most of the way. Left the helm to Otto for a while, made myself a sandwich and took it easy.

By the time I reached Dyer Island around 1:00 pm, the wind started to kick to about 18 knots - so decided to continue north, past the marina entrance and into the upper Bay. This was the best sailing I've had with True Blue, since the only restraint was my own limitations.

I took several videos on that day's sail with my Olympus Camedia and attempted to stitch them together using Roxio Creator 7 (very frustrating software). Unfortunately as I entered the upper Bay, by Bristol and North Prudence Island, the winds kicked to 24-26 knots - couldn't sail and take movies at the same time.

This video however, captures some of the calmer episodes. Beginning chronologically and ending just before the excitement really began. It's amateurish, kinda long at 7.5 minutes, but includes an interior walk-through during the calm sail to Newport while on autopilot. I also had to seriously reduce the quality to fit on YouTube.

Far from being a fast sailing vessel, especailly compared to most boats here, but hope you enjoy it anyway . . . I certainly did.

<OBJECT height=366 width=425>
&nbsp
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLnIca7k3rs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></OBJECT></P>

huguley3 09-24-2007 03:53 PM

That is schweet. I really like Nauticats if I ever have the money I will get one. I think I will have to set my sights quite a bit lower for the time being though.

Thanks for the walkthrough!

christyleigh 09-24-2007 03:56 PM

Nice little movie TB :) I didn't get out until almost noon so all I had was the 15+ so I started out reefed to make it better for my wife. She also doesn't like to heel but she has gotten used to it. Between the building wind and loss of sunshine that day she just goes into the pilot house where she tolerates the wind and heeling better. Also it was getting just plain cold as the day went on. Still a great..... and maybe last.... :( sail.

CharlieCobra 09-24-2007 04:19 PM

Nice, the boat looked happy.

CBinRI 09-24-2007 04:31 PM

This is a great video. I could watch videos like this all day long, if I'm not sailing. What a beautiful boat, too.

Narragansett Bay is also my home sailing ground and not a summer weekend goes by where I am not reminded how blessed we are to have such deep water, consistent winds and lovely scenery available to us. I was out on Sunday, but Saturday was clearly the better wind day. I am sure I will be going back to your video when the days are short and cold. Excellent work.

sailingdog 09-24-2007 04:48 PM

TB-

Very nice... thanks for sharing it... :D The second mast in the video threw me until I remembered that TB is a ketch rigged boat. :D

teshannon 09-24-2007 04:57 PM

TB,
Great video, thanks for that. I was stuck home so it was nice to see a good sail up close.

sailhog 09-24-2007 05:10 PM

TB,
That was fantastic, Captain! I want you to know that I'm still willing to consider the trade -- True Blue for my 1980 C30.

All kidding aside, that video was truly beautiful...

tenuki 09-24-2007 05:35 PM

tighten your halyards. ;P

nice vid, thanks for sharing.

tomaz_423 09-24-2007 05:37 PM

TB,
On Friday I was on a boat show and visited a Nauticat again (they had the 44 on display).
Man are those nicely build. I was thinking about you, True Blue and your wife....
If I had an extra half of mil$ to spend . . .