Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007

ericob is on a distinguished road
What is the best place on Lake Erie for Families

We are purchasing a sailboat next year and are wondering where is the best place to keep our boat on Lake Erie. It is my wife and I and our two small children. I realize that we need a yatch club or marina that has children and children activities to keep out kids interested in going to the boat on weekends. We live in Ohio and can go as far west as far as Sandusky and east as far as OH/PA state line. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
They will love Cedar Point when they get a little older. Top Thrill Dragster, Millenium Force, WAHOO!
Old 09-26-2007

freddy4888 is on a distinguished road
Sandusky is nice because it has Cedar Pt and is close to the islands, but to the east is Erie, Pa. My parents kept their boat at the Presque Isle State park when I was growing up. I had a great time there, we could walk to the beaches, go fishing in the lagoons, I had a Rhodes Bantam sailboat that I would sail in the bay. It was a great place to boat with kids.
Old 09-26-2007

HotAir06 is on a distinguished road

We sail on Lake Ontario so I am not familiar with specific Clubs or Marinas but I would find something at the West end of the lake. Lake Erie is a shallow lake and when the wind or storm comes up the lake can kick up very quickly. At the West end, since the prevaling wind is from the West, you would experience the least amount of wave build-up. Also, the West end offers cruising destinations not as available further East on the Lake.
Old 09-26-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
ericob,

Not a lot of action on your post. My suggestion would be to join the Lake Erie email list here on sailnet and ask your question there. It is not a very active list, but when questions are asked they usually get answers there. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Eric,

Opened up my email this am and saw your question and a series of answers. As I said, not very active, but they do respond. Most of the email lists on sailnet are reactions to questions. Some more used then others.
Old 09-27-2007

ikrieger is on a distinguished road
Edgewater Yacht club in cleveland

I grew up sailing out of edgewater Yacht club in cleveland where my dad always had his sailboat. Now i have my boat at the marina which is right next to the yacht club. There aren't many perks at the marina though.

The Yacht club has a kids sailing camp during the summer and functions for kids even in the off season. Location is ok because you are centraly located in lake erie, but it takes a day to get to the islands, canada or ashtabula.

-Irwin
Old 10-13-2007

mortrubl is on a distinguished road
I vote for Sandusky in general, and Battery Park Marina in particular. BPM has a nice park aea and a private swimming pool for marina tenants only. As others noted Cedar Point is near by. A big plus is the nearby islands. Kelly Island is just an hours sail away. Go to the north side and anchor off the state park. Wonderful beaches and facilities that you can dinghy to. Then a little further on is Put-in-Bay for more fun. Pelee Island is well within reach, and when you really want to make a weekend of it you can sail across to Lemington, Ontario. There's so much more to do on the west end of lake Erie. While keeping my boat at BPM I lived in Pittsburgh. The three hour drive was well worth the extra travel time compared to Erie, PA.
Old 10-13-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
The kids will especially enjoy Put-In-Bay where they can watch drunks barf in the streets all evening long! Last time I was there, we walked the length of the boardwalk at about 10pm. We watched three hurlers in the 5 minute walk. Made for a few good laughs!
Then there's the parties on the go-fast boats with plenty of tattood bikinis. Definately something the misses will appreciate.
Old 11-25-2007
Lake Arthur & Lake Erie

jgmartis is on a distinguished road
Best family place on Lake Erie

We spent a week at South Beach Resort on Sandusky Bay. They have a hotel, cabins, 3 pools and a protected deep water marina. Very family oriented. We have a 19' Newport Holiday and it was nice to be on the bay when the lake was too rough. Biggest drawback is that the cabins fill up early and you need to book in Dec or Jan for the summer.

jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.