Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Oriental to Ocracoke this weekend

Jayme and I are leaving for Ocracoke Friday morning at 8 sharp. I know, I know... never leave on a Friday you might say but in reality we are leaving from Raleigh tomorrow so that negates the whole Friday thing. Anyway... we're taking another couple with us and four others are following on a Catalina 36. I've got my waypoints/routes planned, triple checked the weather (which is bound to change,) studied my charts, studied them some more and i feel ready for the trip. It's only about 90NM roundtrip but it will be our longest trip so far. I've spent every weekend in Oriental for the last 6 weeks preparing the boat for this trip. I owe all of you a big THANK YOU for all of the input and advice on seamanship, gear installation and many other things. Thanks to you guys i feel WAY more prepared than i would have otherwise.

We'll bring plenty of photo's and video back with us... dare i post it? lol. Any last minute suggestions or advise is still welcome... Especially about "Big Foot Slough Channel " and Royal Shoal. I feel pretty good about it though and worst case... if we do get grounded i can get out and push since we only draw 3'4"! (j/k)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Joel73; 09-26-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Joel,fficeffice" />>>
I am envious. Being landlocked I can only go so far. What have you been doing to the boat? I know you were redoing the battery but that is not 6 weeks worth. I need to know so I can steal your ideas if I like them.>>
Good luck on the trip.
Old 09-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Have fun... don't stick to schedule and keep an eye on the weather... and I look foward to seeing photos and video...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Have fun Joel...weather looks good for the Pamlico!

FRI
SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING NW IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES
1 FT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS IN THE MORNING.

FRI NIGHT
N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT.

SAT
NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT.

SAT NIGHT
NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...DIMINISHING TO AROUND 10 KT
AFTER MIDNIGHT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT IN THE EVENING SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 2
FT AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SUN AND MON
NE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WAVES 1 FT.
Old 09-27-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Jacky- I bet you wouldn't be envious of the Pamlico chop! Looks like we'll have plenty of 2-3 foot waves for the trip. i can feel my stomach turning now. I've got a long list of things i've been working on since we got her in May. A lot of it is just replacing and refurbishing stuff. I need to post a "to do" and "done" list when i get back but besides the new batteries i've also added a stereo in the cabin, replaced all the portlight gaskets & screens, replaced the compass, replaced running rigging, replaced stripper arm, new raw water pump.... new GFCI outlet in the head.... the list goes on for a while! I know a fair amount but the things i didn't know i got the answers here.

Dog- What's a schedule? We are shooting for Ocracoke but we may go to Bay River and then to Ocracoke the next day... depends on the wind. There will be no shortage of pictures i'm sure! Good thing i've got that house battery to charge my camera batteries.

Cam- It's changed again... i think that Low down by FL is going to have an effect if it comes up the coast. What do you think? Both the other captain and my sailing instructor seem to think the weather will take a turn towards the not so good side. Friday looks good to me... manageable wave action and good wind. Sat & Sun look choppy but we would have the wind on our back so lot's of running, pitching & yawling... maybe seasick funtime feeding the fish! lol

FRI
W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...DIMINISHING TO 5 TO 10 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. WAVES 1 TO 2 FT.

FRI NIGHT

SAT

SAT NIGHT

SUN

MON
NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT. WAVES 2 TO
3 FT...THEN 1 TO 2 FT.

Old 09-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Two-to-three feet isn't bad at all... we get worse than that all the time... for instance, for my neck of the woods... we have a forecast of:

Quote:
..small craft advisory in effect from friday afternoon through saturday morning...

.today...s winds 10 to 15 kt. seas 3 to 4 ft. a slight chance of
showers and tstms. patchy fog. vsby 1 to 3 nm.

.tonight...se winds 10 to 15 kt. seas 2 to 4 ft. showers and tstms
likely in the evening...then showers likely with a chance of tstms
after midnight. areas of fog. vsby 1 to 3 nm.

.fri...sw winds 10 to 15 kt...diminishing to 5 to 10 kt around
noon...then becoming w 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt late. seas
4 to 6 ft. showers likely with a chance of tstms in the morning...
then a chance of showers in the afternoon. areas of fog in the
morning. vsby 1 to 3 nm.

.fri night...nw winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. seas 4 to
7 ft.

.sat...nw winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. seas 4 to 7 ft.
.sat night...n winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. seas 3 to
5 ft.

.sun...ne winds 10 to 15 kt...becoming e in the late afternoon and
overnight. seas 2 to 4 ft.

.mon...se winds 10 to 15 kt. seas 2 to 3 ft.
Once the seas get above seven feet, things start to get really interesting...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-27-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Joel,
I don't mean to be the lone contrarian here, but it's much safer and quicker if you just drive to Ocracoke. I've checked the Rand McNally, and it should take you less than an hour to get there. If the weather makes a turn for the worse, you'll be all set up at the motel with color TV. If you sail it could take you A WHOLE DAY to sail there, and ANOTHER WHOLE DAY just to get back. If you have any questions on the safest, most direct driving route to take, just PM me. I'll be happy to help.
Old 09-27-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Once the seas get above seven feet, things start to get really interesting...
We've been in 8' breaking waves and 25KT winds but that was on a 42'... and YES it was VERY interesting.... and a ton of fun too. We'll have a couple with us that don't sail a lot. They have experience on the water though... He works for the State water quality dept... so is out a lot.

Old 09-27-2007
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Dog,
Driving vs Sailing..hmm..tough choice here..guess it depends what you are sailing...
hey..in a non related topic..call Jim DeMint...re: SR 1578 (i have a thread about this) as you are also in the Palmetto state..

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 09-27-2007

captainlouie is on a distinguished road
My wife and I will be heading south October 12th-ish from Norfolk to florida and ultimately the bahamas. However, as we are a cat and only draw 2' we were thinking of sailing from elizabeth city to roanoke to ocracoke to oriental as opposed to the standard ICW route. It seems like it would be more interesting but nobody seems to do this. Is it because of storms and the shallow sound and the resulting rough seas or is it because most sailboats draw too much water or is it something else entirely different? Has anyone out there sailed this route or have advice?
Thank you