Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2002

mpin422 is on a distinguished road
Mooring verces Dock

Looking for feed back about a mooring or a dock to keep a boat. I''m ready to purchase a boat ...my first boat. I already am finding that securing a location is not easy on the Long Island sound. I was told by one broker that I can get a mooring for about $10.00 per foot,plus the coast of having it installed, and then another $500.00 to keep a dingy at a public dock.

My concerns are is the boat just sitting out there bouncing off the other moored boats......and what about foul wheather...does the boat take alot of abuse swinging on a mooring.....I know that the creature comforts of shore water and power are not there but is the cost savings worth the inconvieance...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2002

Pangaea is on a distinguished road
Mooring verces Dock

Hi Mike,
I'' ve done both on and off now for quite a few years. Here''s what I think:
On a mooring you have your privacy. In a marina you pretty much don''t, but a good marina can be alot like a nice neiborhood.On the other hand, I'' ve seen marinas where people most of the time won'' t help you dock even in bad weather.(unless their in the same space as you) It'' s easier to keep your boat looking good in a marina because of the endless supply of fresh water. Rain, believe it or not , will keep your boat clean beetween washings. Marinas are a far worse place to be in extreme weather. To be safe on a mooring it has to be very stout- over built if you will and to me if your going to drop a mooring go way overboard on tackle. I can'' t stress that enough. And it has to to be compatable with the type of bottom to where the mooring will be placed and with proper scopes. To give you an example, my mooring is very protected. 500''(aprox)e,s+west 1,000'' north but 1/2mi. to the north west. (my boat= 32'', 12,000lbs disp.)It consists of a 600 lb. US made(the US made is less porous , looses less weight in water and is stronger but costs more) mushroom because the bottom is mud ,23 ft. 1-1/4" chain (no top chain) 35 ft.of 1" pennant, and a float. I went a little overboard but when it" s blowing 70-80 kts. and more I can sleep. I have literaly slept in 70 kt. winds for hours! So don''t fool around.
A mooring can go 5 years with no cost. 500.00 seems expensive for the dinghy dock. Here, people pay 150.00 to 300.00 a year. I pay 150.00. If you look you''ll find one cheaper.
No. Boats dont bounce off each other. Their spaced out so that doesn''t happen. What can happen is during a blow , a mooring that hasn''t been properly installed or maintained can pull out or fail and blow down on you and that can be catostophic.Other than that your boat probably won''t suffer. Keep up the chaff gear and make sure itis very durable.
As far as electricity? If your going to be on a mooring, don''t set your boat up with 120 V. items. Set-up with 12 V. items with a suitable house battary bank and get a quality turbine with good output and you''ll be fine. Wow, thats enough.Hope it helps.

Dennis L.
Old 03-31-2002
sailor

ndsailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ndsailor
Mooring verces Dock

I was going to say, well, never mind.. Dennis said it all, and very well I might add. I agree with everything said, I''ve seen a lot more boats damaged in a blow at a boat slip than on a mooring. The convenience of loading the boat at a slip for a day or a weekend is really nice though....Rick
Old 03-31-2002

jkcygnus is on a distinguished road
Mooring verces Dock

Hi All, Im in a protected location well up in Huntington Harbor(mud). I use a 250 Mooring , with 1/2 chin bottom,swivel to top chain pendent . Has held well for , cd 30, 10,000 1bs . Also another choice is a mooring with launch survice , some marinas provide for aprrox. 1200$ . Take Care jkcygnus
Old 04-01-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Mooring verces Dock

hi,
where are you located in huntington?
eric- Kimberlite huntington?
eric
Old 04-01-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
Mooring verces Dock

hi,
where are you located in huntington?
eric- Kimberlite huntington?
eric
Old 04-01-2002

jkcygnus is on a distinguished road
Mooring verces Dock

Hi Eric, Im in halesite , Ketewomoke YC. Take Care Jody
Old 04-01-2002

bporter is on a distinguished road
Mooring verces Dock

As a reasonably new sailor myself (6 years experience owning boats), I can add one BIG plus to being on a mooring when you have your first boat. It''s much kinder to your boat.

Unless you are adept at maneuvering a truck in very close quarters with no brakes, very little acceleration, next to no steering and a tendency to slip sideways your pay the price of your learning until you get a handle on it.

It takes a while to learn the intricacies of maneuvering in tight places - you''ve got current & wind to contend with, as well as prop walk. Also what I call "helmsman''s dyslexia" which is trying to remember which way the damned boat will turn when you are going backwards. I didn''t learn about Prop Walk until my second season with my first boat - changed my life.

Anyway, while you are learning these skills, it is way easier to catch a mooring than to get into a slip. While on a mooring you can build these skills at your own pace, practice coming in to a slip or tight space when you don''t actually have to (no pressure!). Once you figure the techniques out you can look into a mooring, but you don''t want the scars on your hull if you can avoid it.

I suppose being in a slip will force you to learn the handling skills faster, but at the cost of scratches and dings to your finish.

Unless you are in a poorly maintained mooring field your boat should be safe. In normal conditions there is plenty of room for the boats to swing around. Generally you have either current or wind keeping the boats all facing the same way.

It is better to look for a more protected mooring field if possible. A couple of years before I kept my boat there, a hurricane took out most of the boats in the mooring field I first kept my boat in. During the same storm, just a few hundred yards away at the yacht club where I keep my boat now no serious damage was done. The major difference is that our club''s moorings are protected from SE&E winds, the other mooring place offered next to no protection from those directions.

Anyway, I plan on keeping my boat on a mooring for a few years more, particularly as I just purchased a fairly new boat that I have to learn how to handle. Sure, it''s a minor inconvenience being on the mooring sometimes, but overall I''ll be happier there until I can back my boat into a slip with the tide coming in my face and a 15 kt crosswind without sweating it.
Old 04-02-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Mooring verces Dock

A lot depends on how you plan to use your boat. If you plan to spend time aboard while tied up then a finger pier/dock with bathroom & laundry facilities, dockside power, water, etc... is very convenient.

On the other hand if you are mostly day sailing then a finger pier is not really necessary. Most yacht clubs & anchorages have reliable and friendly tender service for their mooring fields. You do not have to row back and forth to your boat. In Nova Scotia a mooring is typically 40% of the cost of a finger pier.

Also as has been said many times before it is much easier to pick up a mooring than to dock at a pier! This one comes from experience of attempting both.

You can''t beat the convenience of a dock but a mooring is probably better for both the boat and the pocketbook.

Mike
Old 04-05-2002

mpin422 is on a distinguished road
Mooring verces Dock

Thank all of you for your advise and information...I''m new to starting this way of life...not new to reading every magazine and going to boat shows, and reading every book and dreaming as I see boats on the water...You all have confirmed that a mooring is not a bad thing in fact there are some pluses....So tomorrow I''m off to visit 2 Yacht clubs on City Island N.Y. in the Long Island sound...After speaking to thier repersentatives I have found out their are more advantages to belonging to a club. Because I am so green to this I will have an abundace of people ask question to and take out sailing with me to get me over the rough spots untill I get comfortable. Not to mention the price is 1/3 that of a slip...and I don''t intend on hanging in a slip all day....If that was the case I would get a power boat.Well I am totaly stoked about this and hope to meet some of you on the water.

Mike P.

Thank all of you for your advise and information.....I am heading out tomorrow to visit 2 Yacht clubs on City Island in N.Y. which is on the most southern end of the Long Island sound. ....I was ready to cancel my boat purchase due the cost of a slip (2 boys in colege). But thanks to the cost of mooring at the yacht clubs I wil be purchasing my boat this weekend. There are more advantages for keeping a boat at a yacht club...Since I''m new to sailing and will need advice and help with my new boat, I was told that there will always be plenty of people to go out with me....not to mention the new friends....This is all new to me and I know its all not going to be roses...BUT I''M TOTALY STOKED ABOUT THIS !