SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Snotty weather photos

4K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Sapperwhite 
#1 ·
With Fall sailing upon us, I've been enjoying as much of this nice and dry end-of-season weather as possible. I'm taking off Thursday and Friday morning for a couple days away for the marina . . . the plan is to do an overnighter somewhere downwind, set sail in the morning to return to the work-drill again.

This got me thinking about the inevitable pre-winter preparation up here in the Northeast, followed by a few months, dreaming of doing it all over again next Spring. So, I compiled a few random photos, beginning with some that my daughter had taken and sent me of our trip to the Vineyard - which had some pretty wet conditions. They remind me of how nice it is to have a pilothouse, as a means of at least staying dry and warm.

My daughter's longtime companion, checking sailtrim:

And again during helm watch duty:

After so much of this, we decided to retreat to the pilothouse:

Upon finally reaching port, making lines and getting the ship in shape for a 5 day stay:

The rest of the week, fortunately for the crew, turned out to be very warm and sunny.

Here are a few photos from last week's sail on Narragansett Bay - perfect conditions:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
TrueBlue,

Nice photos. I actually prefer a cloudy day for sailing -- even if that incudes rain. But I'm sure I'd like it even more with that pilothouse! I like the "sunroof" too. Too bad the pilothouse isn't gimballed, eh?

One thing I noticed in some of the photos, and previously in your "TB solo sailing" video is that the traveller for the mainsail seems to be set well to windward, so much so that the boom appears to have crossed over the centerline of the boat to the windward side. Is this just a perspective illusion? Or is this something you do only when motorsailing? Just curious...

#4 ·
Rick,
It wasn't really cold during that last Vineyard sailing trip (been doing it for 9 years now), just wet & raw - July 4th week can sometimes bring a mix of all kinds of weather - temps rarely go below the mid 70's though. Last week temps were pushing 90, this coming Thursday (1st week of October) temps are expected to be 80 degrees F.

John,
I know the traveler car should be towards leeward, but was experimenting with different positions - and checking response . . . never claimed to be a sailing guru (g) . . . shifted the position soon after. It wasn't a motorsailing thing, since I hadn't turned the diesel on all day, except for coming/going from the slip.

Things have been getting kind of stale around here lately, so please feel free to add your own pics to this thread.

#6 ·
Rick,
It wasn't really cold during that last Vineyard sailing trip (been doing it for 9 years now), just wet & raw - July 4th week can sometimes bring a mix of all kinds of weather - temps rarely go below the mid 70's though. Last week temps were pushing 90, this coming Thursday (1st week of October) temps are expected to be 80 degrees F.
Now that's my kind of weather. Very nice indeed..........

#5 ·
Nice photos TB... When are you haulling TB for the season??

#10 ·
Thanks TE, SH :cool: , and SD - Just sent in my Winter Storage Agreement with the marina this morning, with the check! I've been vacillating on whether to keep her wet this year - but decided to haul - scheduled for the week ending Nov. 10.
how come we did not see your daughter.............
p.s. would have been nice to see the old clingstone in those nbay shots....
thanks for the momentary trip back it r.i.
I've got some clingstone photos from years ago at home - would have to scan them though - pre-digital. Great diving area, the Striper spearfishing "rocks" there. Back in the late 70s, sailed around that "house on a rock" in a Shields . . . invisible rocks everywhere. Don't ask me how I know.

Since you asked, here's a recent pic of my daughter with her baby:

#16 ·
TrueBlue,

I didn't mean to sound critical of your sail trim. I thought maybe there was a technique used for upwind motorsailing in a ketch. Anyway, it's always good to experiment.

I will take you up on the invitation to post some "Snotty Weathers" of my own:

We have an autumn tradition in my family where the guys get together for a long weekend of sailing on Chesapeake Bay in November. When family can't make it, we pull crew from local friends.

The Chesapeake in November can be a mixed bag. The majority of time it is actually pretty nice weather, but there are plenty of nasty days too, and as you'd expect they tend to fall on the weekends. So we've had some wet and windy sails. Last Novemebr, we had four boats and a mixed-bag weather-wise:

We had oily conditions on the "race" to the Eastern Shore:

On the return trip, we ran head-on into an autumn gale. We don't have an anemometer on our boat, but one of the Beneslows in the fleet had one and they claimed it registered steady in the low 30s gusting into the high 30s. It kicked up a really nasty, short, steep wave pattern. The Beneslows bailed out and ran for cover in a protected creek. We followed them in, and they rafted off our Pacific SeaAnchor while we caucused on a plan:

We stayed put for the night, and made our way back across the Bay the next day on the tail end of the gale, when winds had dropped down into the low 20s. The return trip is a sort of zig-zag, so it usually combines some reaching with some close-hauled sailing. Here we are enjoying the reaching legs, my novice crew putting in a turn at the helm:

And here's the upwind leg heading across the Bay and the shipping channel, which always adds some excitement:

Ducking a tug and barge, which can be seen under the boom:

And hardenning back-up for the long leg to windward:

Sorry everyone, it's a guys only trip, so no bikini shots....

#17 ·
JRP—

If you have bikini shots from a guys-only trip...I really don't want to know about them. :)

#20 ·
Bardo,

We're on the West River, about 10 miles south of Annapolis. We had sailed over to St. Michael's (we know of a few good watering holes over there....)

We used to race quite a bit out of Solomons so I 'm familiar with your stretch of the Bay too. Nice down that way...

#23 ·
Looks dark green to me...

#25 ·
John,
I know what you mean, when I got Jessica Anne she was all chalky. You could rub your hand on the hull and have a light greenish white chalk covering your hand. I had to do two passes with 3M super duty compound, and then one pass of 3M imperial microfinish to get her looking like a green mirror again.

Green hulls rule!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.