Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, it's gorgeous up here but it'll take your life if ya don't pay attention.

Thanks eryka, I believe you're always learning. Nothing wrong with making mistakes once.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Did you find water in the bilges afterwards? Because if the boat is pretty tight in those conditions, she's pretty tight indeed.
Very little, about what we started with. We heard the pump cycle twice for about 5 seconds each time. No creaking or groaning. Just a loud bang when the boom's topping lift failed and spool out of the mast Saturday night. Me? I didn't hear a thing but the crew did. I'll just send my bosun up the rig with a new line this comin weekend.
Old 10-02-2007

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
omigosh, Fantastic story. Sounds like you had a blast, and enjoyed every second of it. This is why Bob Bitchin of Lats and Ats says "Attitude: the difference between ordeal and adventure!!" And by the way, you write very well! I think you got your 20 dollars worth already. The one mystery remaining: how did your son sleep through it? O D on Qualludes?
----Don
Old 10-02-2007
On the hard

Good question. He's 18 and this was his first sail in saltwater. Of course, Twan, like most teenagers, could sleep through a nuke. He noticed he'd changed bunks and didn't think anything was seriously wrong so he went back to sleep. Sunday, when James and I went walking around, Twan (who's into Rap/Hiphop) put on an Enya CD and started reading "Sailing for Dummies". Ya have to understand, Twan HATES to read. If it's not SI or ESPN, he won't read. The boy is flat HOOKED now. Later he said he was never really nervous, just did what had to be done and had the shakes from adrenaline letdown later. Yep, he's well and truly hooked, like me.
Old 10-02-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Charlie, great story, glad everything turned out OK. The entrance to that marina is tight even when it's calm, I can't imagine doing it in those winds. I was going to suggest that when you rounded Marrowstone you could have ducked into the bay there, but it is a tricky, winding entrance and with the wind blowing it might not have been a good idea. Good decision to not push on into Juan de Fuca and Rosario, I heard that it was just plain nasty out there. Welcome to the San Juans, hope to see you out there sometime. John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds like you had a good trip, and the boat is pretty solid. Good news all around...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-02-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Okay, I'll fall on my sword and say it: In light of the thrashing that some other posters have been getting lately over over-confidence or irrational exuberance, did you have any qualms about taking your son on his first salt water sail in those conditions? Clearly you know what you are doing, but taking your new-to-you 45 y/o wooden boat out in those conditions for its ferry home, and having an inexperienced crew, might be pushing it. Still, it worked out.....
Old 10-02-2007
On the hard

Yeah, I thought about that but James has 10+ years of Great Lakes sailing plus a number of years out here so I figured we could manage it between us. Twan did great! They both did, in challenging conditions. Both listened to the "one hand for the boat and one for yourself" speech I gave prior to departure. We walked through procedure prior to shoving off as well.
Old 10-02-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
cc that. Glad it all worked, and look forward to some pics!
Old 10-02-2007
On the hard

Yeah, I gotta get away from the office and get a cable so I can at least get 'em in the box to play with. We're taking the ferry early so we can finish the trip tomorrow.