Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Very little, about what we started with. We heard the pump cycle twice for about 5 seconds each time. No creaking or groaning. Just a loud bang when the boom's topping lift failed and spool out of the mast Saturday night. Me? I didn't hear a thing but the crew did. I'll just send my bosun up the rig with a new line this comin weekend.
Then if you're willing to learn the skills and take the time keeping a 1961 wooden boat alive (good grief, I was built in 1961... ), then I think you may have the boat bargain of the year, if not the decade. Having a Perkins 50 HP in a 35 footer has got to provide some feeling of security, and it's big enough to turn a decent alternator if you want to add radar/plotter and some toys.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
saturday was a fun day for sailing. I did see a yawl in the distance while near Kingston looking towards Edmonds. not sure if it was you or not.

i also think the ferry you are refering to is the keystone, NOT kingston! Lot bigger ferries on the kingston Edmonds run vs the keystone/port townsend run!

Marty
Old 10-02-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, it was the keystone.

Here's some pics.

Movin on

Twan chillin at the helm

Me

Old 10-02-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Here's some more.

Flying low

Company

Oh crap!

I don't remember what was up there as there were a few moments like that.
Old 10-03-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Those are great shots, CC! I believe you when you cite the wind speeds...that looks like at least 35 knots constant in an enclosed body of water...the combo of "fat" whitecaps over very closely spaced waves is quite similar to Great Lakes "square" waves...the water wants to really roll, but there isn't enough fetch, so you get the "earthquake in a foot bath" effect. We only get "ocean" style rollers at the Toronto end if it blows like stink for two days from the east, which is only usually in October and November.

I think you need a slightly improved propane lashing, but it looks like you got a very good boat that has proven herself in pretty intense "maiden to you" conditions. Your son looks pretty casual at the helm there, but he also looks like a big boy who can handle being part of a classic boat dynasty. Nice stuff!
Old 10-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nice photos CC. Looks like fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-03-2007
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Those are great shots, CC! I believe you when you cite the wind speeds...that looks like at least 35 knots constant in an enclosed body of water...the combo of "fat" whitecaps over very closely spaced waves is quite similar to Great Lakes "square" waves...the water wants to really roll, but there isn't enough fetch, so you get the "earthquake in a foot bath" effect. We only get "ocean" style rollers at the Toronto end if it blows like stink for two days from the east, which is only usually in October and November.

I think you need a slightly improved propane lashing, but it looks like you got a very good boat that has proven herself in pretty intense "maiden to you" conditions. Your son looks pretty casual at the helm there, but he also looks like a big boy who can handle being part of a classic boat dynasty. Nice stuff!
Twan's the smallest and youngest of my 8 kids. My two natural Sons are both over 6'. Yeah, he looks calmer than he was but he's hooked now. The lashing looks a bit suspect but it's tight. Just one of the things I have to look at with this boat.
Old 10-03-2007
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Nice photos CC. Looks like fun.
Thanks Dog. Well, Alex needs to show up cause I got him pics this time.
Old 10-03-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
Not bad for a $20 boat! Sounds like you gave the rigging a pretty stiff workout.
Old 10-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... be careful what you wish for... sometimes they're granted, but not quite in the way you want or expect. Trust me, I know... Learned the hard way last year and ended up in the hospital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Thanks Dog. Well, Alex needs to show up cause I got him pics this time.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.