SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking for Vagabond 47 Owners

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  dennymusic 
#1 ·
My husband and I live on our 1986 Vagabond 47. We have owned her for two years and have had mixed emotions ever since. She is beautiful, strong, seaworthy, and a very comfortable boat to liveaboard. Our issues are with the electrical system, leaking decks, and constant water in the bilge, not to mention the never ending sanding and varnishing of the multitude of wood. Now don't get me wrong......we have a strong bond and love affair going on with our Jade Dragon, but I would love to hear from any other Vagabond owners that might be out there.

Mary:confused:

#2 ·
Jade...we have good friends on a Vag47 in the Caribe right now. Your post sounds like the same feelings they have! They were driven hard aground on coral a couple of years back and were thankful of the rugged construction in a situation that would have broken the back of lesser vessels.
My friend is an excellent mechanic and "fixer"...they love the boat but it sure does keep him busy.
Welcome aboard.

#3 ·
JadeDragon - I knew a couple who lived/sailed on a Vagabond 47 and thoroughly loved it. Yes, there was a lot of work, but according to them it was worth it. I also knew a surveyor who had captained a Vagabond 47 and said "It wouldn't sail unless it was blowing 15, and you had to reef at 20". I always figured he was exagerrating. Another friend of mine, Bob Bitchin, sold his Formosa 56 "Lost Soul" this past summer. He is seriously considering a brand new Vagabond 47, as a yard in China has the molds and is building them.

Now, about all that sanding and varnishing... We own a '78 North Sea 33 pilothouse, built by Ta Chiao. Solid teak pilothouse, cap rail, window frames, etc. A lot of work. We are going to try something I have heard about for awhile, and have seen it done (on the "Lost Soul" in fact). Basically, it is an epoxy/varnish system that utilizes Mas Epoxy. Mas should be used as it does not have that aimeen blush that requires washing between coats. Anyway, quite simply, sand down to bare wood, apply two coats of Mas Epoxy, then apply the UV protectant of your choice (varnish). The owner of Mas, JB Currell, actually recommends automotive clear coat as the UV protectant. He says where I live in the Pacific NW it should last 10 years. Of course, there will be light sanding and scuff repair every once in awhile, but it should eliminate 90% of the subsequent work of "keeping on top of it". JB owns quite a few wood boats and he has been using this method for about 10 years.

There is a series of "how to" videos about this we made that are up on the Mas web site:

http://www.masepoxies.com/public/index.cfm?fuseaction=articles.view&id=3082&publicationtype=Videos

We are going to do it, so I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes...

#5 ·
Hi folks; Welcome to Vagabond ownership. You have an amazing vessel! I bought my 47 (Jade Queen) in Tortola last year in June (2013) and have been rehabing her after I sailed her back to Miami. Spent some scary nights at sea with the wind howling, and dark as pitch. What an awesome boat. I was never in fear of the integrity of "Jade". I love this boat!
With regard to Mas Epoxy, I watched an episode on "Ship Shape" with the owner of the company explaining how it works. I'm sure you can google it and get all you need to know.
So far, I have rebuilt the engine; replaced the shaft and cutlass bearing; re-stepped the masts; installed a brand new bow sprit (Spanish Cedar); 6 new tanks (3 fuel- 3 water); New exhaust system....and on and on. Finally, I am now ready to finish the teak, so I'm in the same situation of deciding which way to go. I wish you the best! I hope you realize what an amazing boat you now own! Blessings; Warren.

#11 ·
Hi Gary; Well, it's taken much longer to get ready than I thought. I'm just finishing refit now. Hope to be sailing soon. One of the things I haven't had to repair is my reefer and freezer. However, I have done just about everything else you can think of. I love the boat! Also a 47 Vagabond Voyager. (named Jade Queen) I'm not crazy about the name but I'm afraid to change it! lol! I just checked out the link Dennymusic just sent you and its the real deal. I'm joining it today. I have spent two years refitting Jade and now I'm so ready to head out. I would like to do the Caribbean loop. I wish you the best. If I can help you with anything else, let me know.

Warren.
Hi Warren. How did the "Mas Epoxy" system work out?

#7 ·
I've been looking for a Vagabond Owner's Group. I've had my 1987, 47' beauty for a year and a half and I live on it a few days a week. I keep it in Wilmington (near Long Beach) CA. It was a huge investment for me and was unsure about it at first, after all I'm 62, not 22, but I love this ship. I love how it comes alive in wind above 12 knots and how masterfully it handles the Pacific. The degree of craftsmanship in the wood work is so sublime it's like living in a stately Victorian home - that moves.

Is there an actual owner's group - people who share info - like manuals, tips on how to fix or upgrade stuff?

When I retire end of next year I plan to do some serious sailing, first trip will be to Alaska. My current project is to upgrade the refrigeration unit. Mine - the original - was made by Fleming and draws 40+ amps on start-up and even when I'm on shorepower, when it kicks on, everything goes dim, then it draws 7-8 amps while cooling the reefer and freezer and there a huge 75 pound plate in the reefer and TWO in the freezer; they take up a lot of room. I know I can get a new condensing unit, but I need advice, is there a conversion kit and do you think the plates are worth keeping? ANY suggestions will be helpful. BTW, I called Fleming in San Diego twice, get an answering machine that tells me my phone call is important, but no one will call me back.
Gary Schummer
they won't let me post my email address (what is up with that??) so I'll check back.

#8 ·
Gary, Google S/V Renegade. She is a 47 Vagabond owned by Dirk and Nancy. Nancy has asked me before to have any Vagabond owners get in touch with her as she is hosting a Vagabond owners group. If you google S/V Renegade and post to her, she will respond. I believe they are in Granada at this time. Good luck! Kevin

#9 ·
#10 · (Edited)
Hi Gary; Well, it's taken much longer to get ready than I thought. I'm just finishing refit now. Hope to be sailing soon. One of the things I haven't had to repair is my reefer and freezer. However, I have done just about everything else you can think of. I love the boat! Also a 47 Vagabond Voyager. (named Jade Queen) I'm not crazy about the name but I'm afraid to change it! lol! I just checked out the link Dennymusic just sent you and its the real deal. I'm joining it today. I have spent two years refitting Jade and now I'm so ready to head out. I would like to do the Caribbean loop. I wish you the best. If I can help you with anything else, let me know.

Warren.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.