Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
Used Sails - Where To Sell?

I have several jobs/genoas that I am looking to sell. They came with the boat that I just bought and I am not sure I'd ever use them. I would like to sell them and then take the money to help buy a new mainsail, which is average condition.

I live in Massachusetts. Any ideas?

DrB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
DrB-

Try the consignment places in Newport, RI. That's probably your best bet relatively locally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-03-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
I have several jobs/genoas that I am looking to sell. They came with the boat that I just bought and I am not sure I'd ever use them. I would like to sell them and then take the money to help buy a new mainsail, which is average condition.

I live in Massachusetts. Any ideas?

DrB
DrB - give us dimensions/sailmaker/boat type and size etc - perhaps someone on the board will be interested! They can be shipped anywhere!
Old 10-03-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
What size boat are they from? Would they fit a Pearson 27?

Old 10-03-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
If the local option doesn't work out, Bacon Associates in Annapolis specializes in used boat hardware and sails.
Old 10-03-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
If the local option doesn't work out, Bacon Associates in Annapolis specializes in used boat hardware and sails.
I have had two sails there for 6 weeks now and they have yet to price them and list them for sale, I will be picking them up and selling them myself or with another business.
Old 10-03-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Bacon's reputation has gone down the dumper the last few years. Lots of people in this area now avoid dealing with them. Many complaints of Bacon's selling stuff and not passing on the money. I would not send them your sails from Mass. especially.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 10-03-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
headsail for valiant 40

We're also trying to sell a sail for some friends who sadly lost their boat (the sail wasn't on it at the time) It's a sturdy cruising sail, originally sized for Valiant 40.

The sail is a 120% roller furling genoa (#6 luff tape) with a rope luff, forest green sacrificial cover. Luff is 55.3' and the J is 16'. Built by North Sails, delivered December 2003 and used very lightly on the Chesapeake for 2 summers.

$1500 OBO - PM me if interested.

We tried Bacon's and like T37Chef, they told us they couldn't even get it measured till after boat show. This was in August. Duh, I know few people who are interested in buying sails in midwinter. You are right they've really gone downhill.
Old 10-03-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
What about Atlantic Sail Traders?
I have used them to purchase in the past, never to sell.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-03-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Sorry about the Bacon suggestion. I wasn't aware they were having difficulties. Good to know.

Maybe E-Bay? I've never used them, but it seems like an alternative to the old consignment paradigm.