SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

*** Protocol

5K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 · (Edited)
What size is the correct size flag to fly from the staff at the sturn of a 36-38 foot sailboat, in regards to a courtesy flag flown from the stay.

Sorry forgot the L in FLAG

#2 ·
Club Signal, Private Signal, Courtesy flag or Officer's boat flag
up to 30' 10x15" flag
31' to 36' 12x18" flag
37' to 48' 16x24" flag
49' to 60' 20x30" flag
61' to 72' 24x36" flag

US Ensign
up to 18' 12x18" flag
19' to 24' 16x24" flag
25' to 30' 20x30" flag
31' to 36' 24x36" flag
37' to 48' 30x48" flag
49' to 60' 3x5 ft flag
61' to 72' 4x6 ft flag

I always go larger then this table, overboard (how's that for a word choice) so to say.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

#3 · (Edited)
Although I don't recall seeing it listed that way, Robert's chart seems spot-on. I do recall reading in Chapman's several boats ago, that the proper size of a national, stern displayed flag, is deternined by matching the flag's base measurement in inches to the boat's LOA in feet - rounding off to the size highest.

A 24" x 36" flag is borderline for a 37'- 38' boat, therefore the 30" x 48" flag would be the best choice. Our 33' boat (36' LOA), has a 24" x 36" flag.

#13 ·
When I saw the title, it raised some flags. I thought the title of this thread was a bit queer

#14 ·
This is why proofreading is so impotent. :D

#17 ·
I posted the link more for the courtesy flag part, as the prices were cheap. I have a 36 inch mahogany flag staff.

#21 ·
SH-

I have to run out and buy more Psychlorox because of you...

#27 ·
IIRC, you keep them in the closet until they are ready to come out, then you have a parade. After that, you keep a spotlight on them at night (they like the light you know). If they should fall down and hit the ground inadvertently, just pick it up and dust it off, there's no need to get a new ***.
:D :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.