Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Heavy Heart

Well here it is October again here in Vermont, leaves are turning color and falling. Days are getting shorter and the geese are flapping around up there honkin at me . They seem to be poking fun with their calls reminding me that the season is over, and your boat is not going to sail again till we come back from our winter vacation down south. I hate geese. So today I have decided to blow everything off , work , chores , the lot . I'm going sailing . Soon as this post is written I'm jumping in the van , trailing my daysailor down to Lake Champlain and that will be that , the last sail of the year for me and "The Silk Pig" thats my boats name BTW. Its looking like a very fine day for it. 70+ degrees with clear skys and 5-10kts out of the SW. Should be the best way to finish off the year
So with a heavy heart off I go to beat the wind into my will once more. You folk that live in sunny climes , count your blessings , those of us that live up here face this season end thing all too soon. So if theres anyone else out there in Sailnet Land that has the end o season blues like me , heres to blowin everything off for just one more day on the water. This is not a plea for sympathy its a shout out to the rest of the New Englanders and NewYorkers I feel for ya with a heavy heart . So if your boat isnt allready on the hard , play hookie , go sail !
Old 10-05-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
We have had great late season sailing here in the midwest.
Actually still swimming up until two weeks ago.
80's last weekend and 80's forecasted for this weekend.
We had one weekend of overnight lows in the thirties back in early september, since than, beautiful.

About 1/3 - 1/2 of the boats are done in our marina.
We are enjoying ourselves and holding out to the end.

Question; if you have a trailer - sailor, does the season ever really end?
When you have the right weather window, can't you just launch and go?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-05-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
Mine was done sailing last Sunday. Sad.......

I pulled sails off on Sunday and the boat was hauled on Tuesday. It's only been three days and I am already having withdrawls as this weekend is looking real nice. Too bad I'll just be winterizing the boat. Next year I am pulling it a week or two later.

I feel pretty good though. We bought the boat at the end of June, got two sails in before we went away to Europe for a long planned 2 week vacation. We actively started sailing upon out return and got about 13 full day in about 10 weeks. Next year, I plan to launch in early May and hope to get in 30 to 40 days of sailing before the Fall.

DrB
Old 10-05-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
My boat's staying wet 'till 2nd week in November and expect to use it every weekend until then. Highs have been in the 80s, lows in the 50s-60s. There's not much reason to feel the blues, since the summer's been a good one and Fall sailing is in full swing.

I have to admit though - our marina seems to have it's share of boat owners who unpack their boats on Labor Day weekend (Sept 1), not returning until Memorial Day (May 30) - some not until mid-June. I cannot relate to these short season boaters.
Old 10-05-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I have to admit though - our marina seems to have it's share of boat owners who unpack their boats on Labor Day weekend (Sept 1), not returning until Memorial Day (May 30) - some not until mid-June. I cannot relate to these short season boaters.
And..... the good thing about it is that it's mostly the PBers who have ended the season. The last couple weekends on NGBay have been delightfully almost powerboat free. Same in the early spring..... but I don't get going as early as I used to myself
By the way tjk1 - Do you know where Lake Champlain is ? I don't know how much of it freezes up (because of its size) but who is going to plow out the launch ramp and chip away the ice for a 'weather window launch'
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 10-05-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Just saying, if the weather is nice and no ice...........

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-05-2007
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
My season is ending Monday. Back in June, beating into 6-8 footers under a small craft advisory, we breeched our forward water tank. Since it is an integral tank (110+ gallons), they have to cut the top off to determine where the issue lies. That is occurring Monday. Early for us, normally we are in until the bitter end, but with two kids in high school and playing sports, it didn't allow us much time to get up to boat anyway.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 10-05-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Sunny Lake Huron

I am heading out sailing this afternoon and several more times this weekend. I am trying to talk myself into taking the mast down Monday since I am painting it this fall and really should get at it while the weather is decent. Maybe I can OD on sailing this weekend and get started on that project.

Gary
Old 10-05-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
We raced last Sunday. Weather was beautiful. We're now considering signing-up for the remainder of the fall series (three more races), if we can get a crew. (Or maybe even if we can't .) Club mass haul-out is on Nov. 3. This-coming weekend is supposed to be near-record temps. If it just holds for three more weekends (two to race/sail and the haul-out weekend), wow...

Jim
Old 10-05-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Jayme and i are hoping to sail into mid November. Our winters are pretty mild (especially recently) and so we won't have to do a whole lot of winterizing besides taking sails off, taking care of the engine and throwing a tarp over her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.