Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
It is a relatively new boat... last couple of years I think. It is a bit of a paradox in that Catalina went to the vendors and told them they were trying to build a boat to replace the 30 - but wanted to meet a particular price point. Tough job, as the 30 was very popular.

They did it. It is an interesting compromise in many respects, and a good boat for the right person. If you are considering that boat, I would steer you to a 32 also. Very good sailing boat. If you want something ideal for cruising, I have always liked the 36. Not sure that they are still in production, though. I think they are out of production. However, there were thousands built and you can pick them up at a very fair price.

- CD
I am considering that boat, or the 32. The reason why I asked is because I did a quick search on YW for the 309 and came up with about 4 hits. I figured they were too new to have many on the used market. Thing about the 309 compared to the 320 is that they both seemed about the same size with just a slightly different layout. Either way, I'll be buying used, even if it's just a few years old.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
There are a lot of 309 owners on this forum. You could ask around. As for the 320, I would give it a very high rec.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I found that it is really a bad idea to make snap judgements about people based on their appearance.

One of my friends has bought most of the cars and boats he owns in cash... and he regularly dresses in clothes that have definitely seen better days. He does a lot of work on his classic cars and often goes shopping in relatively tattered and well-worn jeans and a t-shirt.... but what he calls pocket change is about what some families live on in a given year. I met him when he was learning photography and in the process of buying himself a new camera. I was the only salesperson in the store to take him seriously, in spite of his appearance. Sold two F4s's, half a dozen lenses, and two Gitzo tripods that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
CD, they did announce it publicly at the show per some people on the C34 website. Those boats have also disappeared from the website in the last few weeks as well.

Interesting, Pamlico does not want to be identified to sell, and Pmoyer is upset with Hylas because they ignore him. Just goes to prove the old theory about what floats your boat. Also, that Hylas might need to look into their customer friendly staff.

Learned a long time ago that appearances are just part of the equation. Worked at a retail clothing store in college. An old farmer walked into the store in bib overalls that needed some work. Everyone else ignored him waiting for the big customer to come in. We weren't busy and he seemed nice so I asked him what I could help with. Turned out that he had just sold the family farm for millions and was taking his entire family to Europe for a month. He needed some new clothes. I needed to sell some. Perfect marriage.

OH, he had three sons, 4 grandsons, and a wife, two daughters, and a grandaughter. They had all worked on the farm and they needed a wardrobe too! I made more money with that "Can I help you?" than I did in an average month.
They bought good stuff, and lots of it. My friend that worked in the womens area liked me too.

Those guys that he walked by without so much as a " Hi, how are you?", called me a lucky bastard. I just told them I was more perceptive than they were.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-10-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
RE: The Hylas sales people.
They have always been difficult and not really interested in customers until they want to sit down with a checkbook. A jaded bunch.
The good news is that the boats are great and you DO get good service on delivery and in support of warranty issues. We have a family member who bought a 54 new about 5 years ago and had to work with the factory and staff through the process and after delivery. He had lots of minor problems mostly related to system installations that all were resolved to his satisfaction.
Old 10-11-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
Learned a long time ago that appearances are just part of the equation. Worked at a retail clothing store in college. An old farmer walked into the store in bib overalls that needed some work. Everyone else ignored him waiting for the big customer to come in. We weren't busy and he seemed nice so I asked him what I could help with. Turned out that he had just sold the family farm for millions and was taking his entire family to Europe for a month. He needed some new clothes. I needed to sell some. Perfect marriage.

OH, he had three sons, 4 grandsons, and a wife, two daughters, and a grandaughter. They had all worked on the farm and they needed a wardrobe too! I made more money with that "Can I help you?" than I did in an average month.
They bought good stuff, and lots of it. My friend that worked in the womens area liked me too.

Those guys that he walked by without so much as a " Hi, how are you?", called me a lucky bastard. I just told them I was more perceptive than they were.
Great story, TommyT! Was this in Michigan? It sure sounds a lot like my FIL and MIL south of Dodge City Kansas.
Old 10-11-2007

Neicy is on a distinguished road
To SailorMitch RE: LED's

I also saw the cluster lights at JSI but did not go back and get one. IS JSI a company you can contact outside of the boat show.
Old 10-11-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neicy View Post
I also saw the cluster lights at JSI but did not go back and get one. IS JSI a company you can contact outside of the boat show.
Sure can. www.newjsi.com. Have no idea if they still have those lights, especially at that price. JSI commonly has a few things for dirt cheap at the boat show to lure people in. Their booth is a must see for me at the show.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 10-11-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne25 View Post
A boat that caught my eye was the Seaward 32. That retractable keel would be handy in my waters in Delaware.
See this thread about the Seaward's...

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/...cgi/read/68239
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 10-11-2007

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Labatt:
Thanks for the link. I'll keep monitoring it for additional info. Other than the initial post, its a mixed bag of second hand information. I entered the thread asking for first hand information on the topics discussed. I did see a link telling of a U bolt rudder weld break. Looks like they corrected that flaw.
Old 10-11-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Wayne - Gotta love the Internet Lot's of secondhand... I will say that the one poster - Tom Scott - is a highly reliable source and is usually right on the money about anything he discusses... usually.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me