Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Sailing adventure books (stretch the truth?)

I really enjoy reading sailing adventure stories. Of course Maiden voyage is one of the first I read. (I think Tania is doing the trip again with her 2 sons)

Anyway.. I'm not saying it's any one author in particular, but as I've read more and more stories I can't help but think the embellishment is sometimes a bit much. (there was one about a killer whale that went through the hull of a big wooden boat) Now of course I realize that telling a story needs to have a "hook" to keep the reader turning pages, so for now I thought I'd just mention this observation I've made.

Do other arm chair adventurers see through some authors efforts to keep us hooked on their stories? Or do you just take it as a great read? Do you only seek "boringly truthful" stories? I think we could include movies here too but we all know movies are almost all fabricated with only the basic storyline kept intact.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
That's why they say "Based on a True Story", not "The True Story". What part of the story is based in truth and what part is not?
Old 10-08-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Desperate Voyage, by John Caldwell is claimed to be a true story and was a real page turner. But to my impression, the novel has to fit more into the "based upon" category.

For those who haven't yet read it, Caldwell was stranded in Panama just after WWII and wanted to set out for Sydney to rejoin his wife, whom he had not seen since their 3-day honeymoon a year before.

He was unable to find any immediate transportation, so he bought a 20 ft sailboat, named Pagan and set out on a 9,000 mile journey - which proved to be very foolhardy. It's an incredible adventure that sent him through every nightmare imaginable, including a hurricane.

Unbelievable terrors each day of his passage make for a fantastic and enjoyable story. "No way this much bad luck could ever be true" was my initial reaction, but it is listed as a true story.
Old 10-08-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Read this, it's for real...
http://www.amazon.com/Tinkerbelle-Ro.../dp/B00005WYO5
Old 10-08-2007
WAFI

astraeus is on a distinguished road
Isn't embellishment the first rule of a good sea story?

"I used to be wise for my age, but then I got older."
Old 10-08-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraeus View Post
Isn't embellishment the first rule of a good sea story?
Wellll...actually a Fairy Tale starts out "Once Upon A Time"
A sea story starts out, " Now This Is No Sh*t!!!"
Old 10-08-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Tristan Jones apparently made up more than a few of his stories, but they still make damned fine reading in the winter.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 10-08-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I have found a few downloadable ebooks online and enjoyed them.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Anyway.. I'm not saying it's any one author in particular, but as I've read more and more stories I can't help but think the embellishment is sometimes a bit much. (there was one about a killer whale that went through the hull of a big wooden boat)
It was a sperm whale that sank the ship. The name of the ship was Essex and the book was “Most Extra-Ordinary and Distressing Shipwreck of the Whaleship Essex” by Owen Chase published in 1821. In 1973 I read an original copy from the Brownell collection in Providence RI.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

PS The book about my sailing up to 1976, "Presumed Lost" under told everything. The best stories were embarrassing at the time so I didn’t tell John, the author of the book everything.

Last edited by Tartan34C; 10-08-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-08-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

Hopefully, in the next few years, you'll be reading about my adventures and mis-adventures.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.