Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2002

masslobsterguy is on a distinguished road
Killer Tiller

Picked up a Morgan with a tiller. Sweet boat but docking can be a killer. I used to have a wheel so I''m new at the dynamics of the outboard and the tiller when docking. But, they seem to fight during those crucial moments when docking tightly with currents and wind.

Does anyone out here lock the tiller down and use just the swivel of the outboard to dock? I''ve seen the Tiller Tamers etc.

I just wonder if it would be easier to lock the tiller down when close to the dock (and use the rotation of the outboard) then unlock when underway. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2002

Red Beard 58 is on a distinguished road
Killer Tiller

I believe that a sailboat has to be at a certain speed before the rudder will work. The speeds differ for each boat. If you are going too slow...it won''t work at all. Keeping the rudder straight will allow the water to flow easier over it. Thur turning it will cause drag, and help slow the boat more. Hope that helps!
Old 04-03-2002

Wega24 is on a distinguished road
Killer Tiller

Hi
I got a tiller tamer, but instead of locking the tiller in place I have the bitter ends tied to the outboard.
I swing the tiller to starboard and the outboard follows ...
works great. it might be a little overkill though, with all the extra lines and stuff , but when you go slow, and in particular backwards it works fine ..

Thorsten
Old 04-04-2002

dimwit is on a distinguished road
Killer Tiller

Making the tiller fast and steering w/ the outboard is the best way. In my small (22'') boat, I just straddle the tiller to keep it relatively straight (though with a bigger boat you can lash it: it doesn''t take anything fancy. You just want to keep it from flopping around), and use the outboard swivel for close-quarters maneuveurs: you get steerage at ANY speed, speed control (including DEceleration), and the ablility to throw the throttle handle over hard to act as a stern thruster, if you miss your mark. I don''t consider this un-seamanlike in the marina, w/ currents and wind. If you love your gelcoat. . .
Old 04-04-2002

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road
Killer Tiller

I''ve used a tiller tamer on all of my boats.
Present one, the engine in installed in a well and there is no room to move it. So, I must be moving to use the rudder when docking. What I do is tighten it up but leave it lose enough to be able to move it with some muscle power. This gives you better control when you need to let go of the tiller to catch a line, etc. It is
especially useful this way when backing up the boat prior to ramming the dock or when setting the anchor. It will help stop the rudder from flying over. They are quite simple and a greeaaate help!!!!
Old 04-08-2002

masslobsterguy is on a distinguished road
Killer Tiller

Thanks All!

Great advice which I will use. Also good to know I am not loosing my mind. Have a great season!
Old 04-09-2002

Fran49829 is on a distinguished road
Killer Tiller

I sail a Freedom 21, with a 5 hp Honda and tiller. I have the motor swivel tightened down so it won''t rotate except with alot of effort. I use the tiller to steer. I have a fixed line on the dock which I grab at the last second and place it over the starboard stern cleat which stops the boat. I think aloy of dock-boat situations have a system which can be devised like this so one can have enough boat speed to steer and a fixed line that will stop the boat in the same place every time. After placing the line on the cleat I grab the bow line which has been led to the cockpit and step onto the dock. When away from my home port I usually have my wife to help and or people on the dock. To sum up, you come in with enough speed to steer (which varies due to conditions), and grab a line on the dock which you afix to your boat to stop it. Or sometimes you can take a line fixed to your boat and place it over a cleat or post on the dock to stop it. During the final manuever I never hit reverse on the motor.
Old 04-09-2002

GufShoz is on a distinguished road
Killer Tiller

I have an O''Day 23 with a 9.9 hp Johnson. I can''t imagine having a more manuverable set-up than a tiller/outboard. I dock stern-to and use one hand for the tiller and one to control the motor. This allows a lot of flexibility for both minor adjustment or radical turning. When both are aimed in the same direction, I can spin the boat like it was on an axle. It may sound like a handful, but if you practice in open water you''ll be able to turn circles around fixed prop boats.