Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Wooden Kit Boat

Any of you ever made a wooden kit boat? Not that I do not already have enough things going on in my life, but my father and I were talking about it the other day. He is a professional woodworker and I am a professional helper, so I thought it would be a fun little project. I was thinking something in the 12-15 foot range. Just a little sailing dink.

Lot of work, I know... but seems like it would be fun. Anyone here done that? Any pics?

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
CD it is fun

And many of the kits out there use what is called "stitch and glue" My son and I built a couple of cheseapeake light crafts kayaks. You can build one in a weekend. We also (mostly me) got into strip built canoes. Then I progress to restoring old wooden canoes. Steam bending wood is really fun! I plan to build a wooden dink someday also.

the wooden boat store sells plans also.

good luck!

my current "project"!
Old 10-09-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
And many of the kits out there use what is called "stitch and glue" My son and I built a couple of cheseapeake light crafts kayaks. You can build one in a weekend. We also (mostly me) got into strip built canoes. Then I progress to restoring old wooden canoes. Steam bending wood is really fun! I plan to build a wooden dink someday also.

the wooden boat store sells plans also.

good luck!
You should post some pics if you have them!!

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-09-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
CruisingDad,

My kids and I built an 11.5' sailing pram last year, called the Passagemaker Dinghy by Chesapeake Light Craft (see my avatar, also see: http://www.clcboats.com/boats/passagemakerdinghy.php. ) In the current issue of Boatworks Magazine, I have a little sidebar to an article on kit boats which discusses the experience. In short, time well spent. These make great family boatbuilding projects. It's no exaggeration to say that my kids did quite a bit of the work.

I would be very happy to answer any questions here or via PM.

A few more shots:

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 10-09-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
That gets me a thinkin'! And its on sale too.

Vaya con Dios
Old 10-09-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Small boat building is fun if you use a kit or start from scratch. We launched “Clare” about this time last year. We named her after one of the children that helped build both this boat and the Shad boat we built the year before. The “Clare” is one of my designs and I am going to take the opportunity to show some pictures. Check her out at www.offsoundings.info/clare.htm I guess this might be in the category of shameless self promotion but I think the kids did a great job on both boats. If you want to have some fun you can start with a kit from Chasapeake Light Craft. I am familiar with their kits and they are great if you want a head start with some support from the builders.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Home page for the Hudson Fisheries Trust,
www.fisheriestrust.org
Old 10-09-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have built or helped build a several wooden boats (without kits) over the years. Its a fun pass time. In most cases, I've doodled a few designs and then built them with friends. Some were quick and dirty designs, while the 24 foot trimarran designed to be built in a friend's living room was considerably more substantial.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Hey CD,
Check out this site of links:
http://www.schoonerlinks.com/other-links.html

The Wooden Boat Forum is a pretty good place to check
http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 10-09-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan34C View Post
Small boat building is fun if you use a kit or start from scratch. We launched “Clare” about this time last year. We named her after one of the children that helped build both this boat and the Shad boat we built the year before. The “Clare” is one of my designs and I am going to take the opportunity to show some pictures. Check her out at www.offsoundings.info/clare.htm I guess this might be in the category of shameless self promotion but I think the kids did a great job on both boats. If you want to have some fun you can start with a kit from Chasapeake Light Craft. I am familiar with their kits and they are great if you want a head start with some support from the builders.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Home page for the Hudson Fisheries Trust,
www.fisheriestrust.org
Robert,

THat is awesome. I would be happy to put those pics on this thread for others to see, but will await your permission to do so. Very nice, and a great job.

John,

GREAT PICS!!! THat is exactly what I was interested in. It looks like a lot of fun. My kids are 3 and 7 and I think they would have a lot of fun with it (as they have basically grown up on the water)!! I will sadly say, though, ours will not be nearly as beautiful as yours. I can see Superman and Bob the Builder painted on the side!!! But then again, I guess that really isn't the point, is it.

Great job, John. Where do you sail out of??

- CD

Everyone - thanks for the links. Looks like fun, doesn't it?? Good educational experience too... especially for Dad.

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-09-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Robert,

THat is awesome. I would be happy to put those pics on this thread for others to see, but will await your permission to do so. Very nice, and a great job.
Thanks for the kind words and post whatever you want. I would have done it but I don’t know how.
All the best,
Robert Gainer