Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Yep, you're old CG, even older than me.

I did love my '69 Volvo 122s back in college . . . and I wasn't a "geek - teacher/professor". Wish I still had it today.

Old 10-12-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
sailhog,
As astute as Time Life's prediction of Herreshoff's Narragansett Bay prophecy may seem, certain rude contemporary sailors, with Scandinavian vessels no less, are living proof of the absurdness of this prediction.

In fact, TSteele's Nostradamus comparison does have some credence. Most academic sources maintain that associations made between world events and Nostradamus' quatrains are largely the result of misinterpretations, rendering them useless as evidence of any genuine predictive power.

In short . . . there goes the neighborhood.
Old 10-12-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Unfortunately, in recent years, Narrangansett Bay has been taken over by mal-odorous skippers of rude ketches of Scandinavian design and build. At the time of this writing [1976] it is predicted that within 31 years, the great traditions of the Bristol yards will be overwhelmed by these rude men..."

Wow.
I knew it didn’t say that. But I just had to go find the key (nobody is in yet except me so all the floors are locked) and go upstairs to our library. I hunted up that volume (it was miss shelved) and read that passage. Why did I waste my time doing that? I saw who posted this and I still wanted to check what the book said?
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Narrangansett Bay has been taken over by mal-odorous skippers of rude ketches of Scandinavian design and build. At the time of this writing [1976] it is predicted that within 31 years, the great traditions of the Bristol yards will be overwhelmed by these rude men..." Wow.
Well...... I just found out today that an 80's NC33 (Phil Pilon's 'Spirit in the Sky' putting off his sail to the BVI's till next year) will be wintering a few slips down from me and if the '70's version of the 33 'Bird of Time' that has wintered at the Wickford Marina the last few years shows up again this year (with my '99) we will have 3 Decades of the Nauticat 33 represented. I should tell the owner to charge admission as we will have The Dynasty on display
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 10-12-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan34C View Post
I knew it didn’t say that. But I just had to go find the key (nobody is in yet except me so all the floors are locked) and go upstairs to our library. I hunted up that volume (it was miss shelved) and read that passage. Why did I waste my time doing that? I saw who posted this and I still wanted to check what the book said?

I got the first part right. The latter part is apparently some kind of extended typographical error. Sailnet could use an in-house copyeditor...
Old 10-12-2007
Señor Member

Stan,
Interestingly, Phil's 1986 "Spirit in the Sky" NC33 (summering at Newport Onshore) was kept in Wickford by the prior owner. It was named "Kinship" then and was one of the many Nauticat 33s we looked at before purchasing "True Blue". He's been putting a lot of effort into getting her ready for this trip - emailed me regularly and we have stopped by each other's slips to compare boats.

I haven't seen "Bird of Time" - but you're right, boats representative of the entire 40 year legacy will be wintering there . . . your boat close to being the 3rd dynasty.
Old 10-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB-

That looks like the car that my twin and I wrecked when we were about two. It was parked on a very steep hill and we managed to get it into neutral without the keys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-12-2007
Señor Member

Well since it was in production between 1959 - 1970, you could be as young as 46? You sure do look old for your age . . .
Old 10-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... not quite that ancient yet...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-12-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
At the time of this writing [1976] it is predicted that within 31 years, the great traditions of the Bristol yards will be overwhelmed by these rude men..." Wow.
Down another path from the hogs bit of poetic licence..... Although as stated the Bristol Yards have been overwhelmed where else could you see a boat for sale ad like this - A 1985 Bristol sloop in bristol condition lying in Bristol. Now I have always assumed that the adjective 'bristol', used to imply clean, excellant, tip top shape, whatever..... was referring back to the quality of the Bristol Yards in RI. Maybe it's only a local to New England term but in the many lists I have been a member of over the years I seem to remember it used by many people from elsewhere. I Wikipedia'd it and found no reference. So.... all you trivial pursutists out there.... What's the story
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI