Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Sharpie Sailors/owners ck in! (flat bottoms)

I've a book learned love for and about sharpies... Looked at few. Saw one that was built in FG at a boat show some yrs ago. Don't remember the manufacture's name. Would like to build one, but most likely never will. (no time for it)

I've not seen it mentioned here on sailnet so maybe they aren't getting equal time?

Possibly sandbaggers, oyster schooners, and other bay boats can be included here too. cat boats, sneakboxes, lightings too!

I really like the statement... "can sail on a heavy dew"

I know I know! "Denise you own a keelboat!"

ok, so who is going to post the question? "what is a sharpie?"

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Denise,

You SHOULD build one. You won't regret it. CLC has plans for a relatively simple stitch & glue sharpie: http://www.clcboats.com/boats/sharpie.php

They used to have a kit, don't know what happened to it. Sometimes they discontinue the kits when they're preparing to introduce a new model, sometimes there's just not enough demand. Might be worth checking with them.
Old 10-14-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
no no no.. I/we (son and me) enough canoes and kayacks..I'm happy having a keelboat really! The 2 kayaks we built yrs ago we built from plans.. back when CLC was still selling plans.. Now they ONLY SELL KITS that know of.. We also built not CLC's but 5 strip canoes, restored a couple old oldtown wood/canvas, and even designed and built a "one off" wood canvas solo canoe.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
You can build one. They are very simple and itís a type we build here at Hudson Fisheries Trust. The Sharpie named Clare is one of my designs and the hull and rig on her is based on a Sharpie from around 1850 or so. Check out some pictures of her at www.offsoundings.info/clare.htm and also check our company home page at www.fisheriestrust.org to see other boats we have built.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Donít waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.
Old 10-16-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

Hmmm guess flat bottoms don't relate much on sail net. I kinda thought there would be more response to this thread.

My boat is for sale.
Old 10-16-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Denise
Many sailors own sharpie variations without realizing it. The flatish hull that many, many 'modern' boats (esp. racers) have comes from the old sharpie designs, they just stick fin keels on them. True old fashioned sharpies with centerboards and hard chines look like old fashioned workboats, and are tricky to sail - not exactly the most marketable things. Once I start building one (soon, Mikey, soon!) I'll feel more comfortable posting about them. If you want to talk sharpies, try woodenboat forum:

http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/

And yes, I think the lines of a sharpie are gorgeous! (and, yes, my wife knows)

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)