Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Awesome Cape Lookout trip

I went on a great weekend trip on the NC coast. It was organized through a local web site (http://www.ncsail.org/) that is a loose collection of sailors (no official memberships or anything). It is the "Pirate sail" and a few folks went all out with the theme:

You have to ignore the camera dates. The guy who took them (skipper on the boat I crewed on) didn't have it set right.

There were around 25 or 30 boats and probably upwards of 50 people. I didn't feel like my boat was properly outfitted and that I was quite experienced enough to take it, so I crewed for a friend on his QuickStep 21.
We sailed out to Lookout on the front side on Saturday running in fairly light winds. Saturday afternoon we messed around on the island; the weather was warm and the beach was quite nice for October. Saturday night we had a big dinner and campfire on the beach. It was a pot luck with way too much food and drink, but we all survived it.

Not everyone is there yet in that photo. I am, but I am not telling Alex which one is me.

Saturday night we were at anchor inside the "hook" of the island. A bunch of the boats rafted up as Party Central:

We anchored a little away from that and managed to get some actual sleep. Woke to a fabulous sunrise:

and some outstanding sailing on the way back to Beaufort. A few people have posted to the local site that they considered it their best day ever. A nice reach at near hull speeds for 7 miles, getting back in half the time it took to get out there.

Just outstanding! I met some great folks and learned a lot. Next year I will likely skipper.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2007
Poltergeist

poltergeist is on a distinguished road
Good on ya, bucanneer. Looks like a great time!

Kurt
Old 10-15-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Looks like a great time Andy and quite the raft-up in that third picture. I did notice a Nauticat 33 in that raft-up, looks to be a shoal draft, short rig model. Did you catch the vessel's name?
Old 10-15-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
TB,

It's the Bama Breeze.
Old 10-15-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Looks like a good time was had by all, nice post. Thanks, John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-15-2007
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Were the Noseeums out at dinner? I hate those little buggers. Still, It doesn't get much better than that does it? What a trip! I'm jealous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 10-15-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart View Post
I went on a great weekend trip on the NC coast. It was organized through a local web site (http://www.ncsail.org/) that is a loose collection of sailors (no official memberships or anything). It is the "Pirate sail" and a few folks went all out with the theme...

Looks like a great trip! Nice pictures! Jayme and i were considering that trip this year but decided that we have too much going on. Maybe next year. We can't wait to get back to Cape Lookout... such a beautiful place!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Joel...good shots! Glad you had a good weekend. Our very own CaptLouie pulled in here today on his catamaran with wife and dogs so it was nice to meet another sailnetter...He is headed your way after a stop at Ocracoke.
Old 10-15-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Sure, it was a "great weekend trip", but it wasn't this past weekend...just look at those photo dates! Just who are you trying to fool Andy!?

Old 10-15-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Joel...good shots! Glad you had a good weekend. Our very own CaptLouie pulled in here today on his catamaran with wife and dogs so it was nice to meet another sailnetter...He is headed your way after a stop at Ocracoke.
HUH? Those aren't my pics they're arbarnhart's! I've yet to post our Ocracoke pics because of a really busy work schedule but i will in the next few days. CaptLouie is headed to Oriental? I'll be in Raleigh... at work.