Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road
When your car breaks down, you get out and call home on your cellphone.

When your sailboat auxillary quits, you may or may not be able to fix it and if not, that may put you in danger if you cannot sail off.

Personally I'm not a diesel machanic and never will be. I can think of many contingencies that I will not be able to handle on my own. BUT, if I have to wait till I have all that knowledge and experience, I will never be able to go out cruising, seeing that I have to work 100 hours a week. Most "dreamers" are in the same position. Those who come from mechanical or marine related backgrounds are lucky and may easily criticise those of us who feel like they have 10 thumbs when it comes to fixing certain things.

However, I might not be able to fix my own engine - BUT, if you have a medical emergency on board, you'll be damn glad I'm in your anchorage and didn't spend SO much time "getting ready" for the trip that I knew engines and nothing else!

M Murphy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
In either case, cars or boats, while there is the random chance of a 3rd party or a freak event (that could not be reasonably expected) the skill of the operator and quality of the boat or car and the choices the operator makes have significant bearing on the statistics.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook