Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007

john232 is on a distinguished road
euro boat interiors, YUCK...

I was at the boat show a few weeks ago and I looked at alot of the new sailboat interiors. I have come to the conclusion that most new yachts look like the interiors of high dollar RVs and condos, they do not look very nautical any more, infact alot of tables were square shaped and the settees looked like couches. most of the galleys have square doors for storage with no ventilation of louvered or raised pannel doors. also fiddles were minimal as were hand holds. I guess the euros think this look is "refined" or "progressive" But I think it looks boring and vanilla bland. I get on my yacht to get away from the condo, progressive, land lubber look. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO TRADITIONAL NAUTICAL INTERIORS?. And why does Yachting magazines from euro always cut our boats down as being inferiour to there designs? Sorry for the rant, but I had to get this off my chest.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Please, stop calling them Euro this Euro that...what the hell are you talking about.

For the record, we call that the American interior. Why?? Simple, more European boats are sold in the US than in any other Continent.

The demand justifies the offer...you guys in the US are the ones "demanding" these interiors...the European boat builders just want to make their biggest customers happy....off course...you're the ones with "no taste", thus the idiotic boat builders following the source of the money..

Want another example?? The stupid looking SUV from Porsche, the "poor man" boxter Porsche, the X3 and X5 BMW, the ML Mercedes Benz, the Oceanis Beneteau, the DS styile boats with horrendous Pilot houses...the pilot house boats them selves, so the "have it my way, low effort American sailor can sail without getting his underware wet......that dear Sir, are all "Americanisms"..

what pisses me off is that beacuse you guys have no taste, (but money), we have to have those interiors, those cars, the pilot hous boats and the DS deckss.....and I be soon we'll start drinking Californina wine too:::Yukkkkk

Ahhh want more??? what about the BUT UGLY Alerion, the sailing misfit, designed to look retro with modern spars...what the hell is wrong with you guys???

I tell you what is wrong...you guys buy more boats than we do, the "Euro" as you call them just satisfy you guys...

So, since the problem started on YOUR side because of YOU GUYS and your lack of taste...suck it up....

Last edited by Giulietta; 10-18-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Touche' Giu.
Old 10-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBowman View Post
Geeze, I sort of appreciate dry underware.
in your case...dry shoes then.....
Old 10-18-2007

I hate those ugly DS boats. I like the older Wauquiez centurions and Swans just to mention a couple.
Old 10-18-2007

John, what I meant in my post was not an attack agains you, rather against the preconcieved idea you tryied to transmit, that we, Europeans were to blame for that, where we're not. We're pretty pissed off with that too, but that trend arrives because of you guys. You guys buy more, so you dictated the trend.

Anyway, look at a nice HR, or a Najad, or even a X Yachts, they're still built the "old" way...they allure to a different clientelle.

The boats you don't like are more like introductory boats, aimed at people with less sailing skills, to whom is more important a large sallon with empty spaces and a place to entertain and visit whilst maintaining a modern "home" look like environment.

They are not concieved for the sailor that knows what he wants, or needs a boat with a purpose driven inside, rather than a good looking modern one.

I forsee that (and I have seen this happen before in the early 90's when traditional designs were abandoned for high freebords and high cabins), that soon we'll be faced with a complete refusal from people on such boats and the market will be flooded with what will soon be considered an ugly boat.

I am almost sure, that in 6 years people will close their eyes at the new Wauquiez, or even the new Oceanis or the Sun Odysey.

Alex
Old 10-18-2007

GUI: We can't make Beneteau, and Waquiez, and jeanneua, and Nautor Swan and all the rest of the Boat Companies design there boats the way they do, Its a Euro designer and A Euro trend thats happening because you don't see American Companies building the Akea furniture look into there yachts.
Old 10-18-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
He's found the editing button . . .

Quote:
Ahhh want more??? what about the BUT UGLY Alerion, the sailing misfit, designed to look retro with modern spars...what the hell is wrong with you guys???
I happen to like Alerion's and don't consider them as butt-ugly.

OTOH, The OP's comments comparing the current trend in boat interiors with "square cabinet doors" and "square tables" as "Euro" has me a bit confused. My interpretation of the so-called "Euro look" combined very curvilinear and free-form shapes to hulls, ports/windows and interiors - some resulting in some very "wtf"-looking designs.

Traditional designs typically incorporated round and oval ports, with interiors focusing upon rectangular cabinetry, table and door shapes, with corners usually eased for safety. Those amoeba and kidney shaped hulls and interior componets were origninally invented by European expressionists many years ago to emulate biologically organic forms. I believe that's what coined the so-called "Euro" movement.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 10-18-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2007
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Gui,
While I whole heartily agree that American consumerism is the bain of our existance, I must disagree that we all have poor taste. They're plenty of us romantics who love the lines of an old Hinckley or Herreshoff and get nauseous when we see the new style of boat that has been described above as "Euro."
I'll take a thirty year old boat over most new boats anyday of the week as long as its of good genes......
Old 10-18-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by john232 View Post
American Companies building the Akea furniture look into there yachts.
Appart from catalina, and HP...what boats are you guys making?? The yacht industry in the US died...

Its all made in China or Taiwan...the designers went all to the same school, where instead of learning how to design a boat, they learnt how to sell them....