Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2002

obiec is on a distinguished road
Off shore sailling

How bad is it, it certanly gets a lot of talk. I have never ben off shore but will be going in a couple of months. It will be in the Pacific off Oregon. and it will only be down the coast for a couple hundred miles. I am realy not all thet afrade, but i keep hereing all kinds of tales. I can see how so lital land and so much water might be a littal over welming, but come on. I also feal like I acan handel it, as long as I dont let myself get sighkt out. I herd of one couple just abandining there boat there, it was later picked up by Hawia. Whilw anouther couple said it was intens but not that bad. The boat I will be in is a 1967 33 foot Islander. It has ben around the world. and it has not sunk. Its previose owner was very causias, but I dont think he was a good. He didnt walk on water or anything. Excuse the spelling I am bad without a spell cheker...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2002

thomsonjd is on a distinguished road
Off shore sailling

The answer to your question is "it depends". Yachts will generally survive (if they have sufficient sea room) long after their crew have given up). To understand how bad it can get, read up about the 1979 Fastnet Race or the 1988 Sydney-Hobart Race. While this may make you fearful, it may help you be prepared for the worst - and then you can only be pleasantly surprised. Better that way around!
Old 04-08-2002

gershel is on a distinguished road
Off shore sailling

Hi, thomsonjd is absolutly right.Be prepared for the worst,but the fact of the matter is,too little wind is more common than too much wind.
Marc
Old 04-08-2002

Don Foley is on a distinguished road
Off shore sailling

Just don''t schedule your trip in pen. If you''re only going a couple hundred miles, you can get a good feel for the forecast in advance. If you lock in on a trip date, you''ll have to go in whatever the weather dishes up. If you''re flexible, you''ll be MUCH better off.

There''s a lot more things to run into near the shore than there is offshore. If you''re single-handing it, my only concern would be not having any off-watch time to keep an eye on the traffic.
Old 04-09-2002

Valdare is on a distinguished road
Off shore sailling

More boats sink at the dock than offshore (recently stated in a sailnet article). Fear is healthy, makes you respect the water and weather. Spend your bucks on safety gear and preparing you and the boar for the trip.. Prepare for the worst (even though it seldom happens). With good safety gear, a solid boat, solid plan for emergencies, good weather information and preparation of yourself and knowing your abilities you will have the confidence to succeed.
If you are really afraid (overwhelms you) don''t go), if your fear comes from respect.. Prepare.
I over came my concerns by taking a class that took us offshore for two days. When I came back my confidence was soaring and I had faith in my abilities to handle sailing in any condition. Plus I knew how to prepare boat, gear and self for offshore.

Good Luck
John_/)_/)_/)

PS: I to am a horrific speller as well as typist (fat fingers as they say). What I do is write the post in either word or my e-mail program and copy it to the post. I still make mistakes but they are fewer.
Old 04-10-2002

obiec is on a distinguished road
Off shore sailling

Thank you for the heads up on the spell checker. I was unaware that you could past into this so easily. Thank you John.
Old 04-10-2002

scnicklefritz is on a distinguished road
Off shore sailling

obiec...

Are you skippering the boat, or just along for the experience???
How many doing the trip and how much sailing experience do they have???
Old 04-10-2002

Valdare is on a distinguished road
Off shore sailling

I know this may be a little late, but I assume you are on the left (west) coast?
Modern Sailing Academy has a heavy weather class. You sign up and when the weather forcast looks like a storm, they call you and set up a schedule. Seems like a great way to learn how to be comfortable in heavy weather for those in their area.

John_/)_/)_/)
Old 04-11-2002

Fran49829 is on a distinguished road
Off shore sailling

I agree, go when the weather is good. Be flexible.
Old 04-28-2002

BEACH COMER is on a distinguished road
Off shore sailling

DO YOUR READING, WORK ON SKILLS (KNOTS, SAIL HANDLING, NAV. ECT.) AND GO OUT IN PROTECTED WATERS IN ALL KINDS OF STUFF. PLAY THE WHAT IF GAME EX: A TRUNBUCKLE GIVES WAY! CAN YOU JURY RIG SOMTHING? WHAT WILL YOU DO? PUSH YOUR BOAT HARD BETTER TO FIND A PROBLEM IN THE BAY THAN OFFSHORE. I LOVE HEAVEY WEATHER! IN MY FIRST YEAR SAILING I MADE IT A POINT TO SAIL IN ALL CONDITIONS EVEN SNOW. LEARN YOUR BOATS SALIING BEHAVIOR
IN ALL CONDITIONS ON ALL POINTS OF SAIL.THAN YOU WILL HAVE THE SKILLS AND CONFIDENCE YOU NEED.