Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
The Better Part Of Valor?

Quote:
This afternoon
Southwest winds 20 to 25 knots...with gusts to 35 knot gales. Mostly cloudy. A chance of light showers. Waves 2 to 3 feet.

Tonight
Southwest winds to 30 knots...with gusts to 35 knot gales into the early morning. ... Waves 3 to 5 feet.
So it's blowing like snot out there and it ain't gonna let up anytime soon. We really need to move our boat around from the canal she's in, to the river, cuz we're runnin' outta water in the canal! But I'm thinkin' this best wait until tomorrow. Or maybe the day after. I think we'd be fine under motor if nothing went wrong. But if, say, the engine chose this particular time to die, we'd be in pretty serious trouble, what with there being only enough anchor and rode on board to make her "race legal." (Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna fix that some day. Haven't gotten that far yet.)

Plus getting out of the old slip and into the new with just me and The Admiral might be a bit dicey. There may be people around the club on a Friday afternoon, but then again...

We were hopin' to move her this afternoon, so we wouldn't have to deal with setting up new dock lines after the racing tomorrow. Then again: It may not be an issue. The winds tomorrow are supposed to be nearly as strong, tho not quite as gusty, so they might just cancel the race.

(I can hear all you SF Bay types just laughin' your backsides off .)

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
So it's blowing like snot out there and it ain't gonna let up anytime soon. We really need to move our boat around from the canal she's in, to the river, cuz we're runnin' outta water in the canal! But I'm thinkin' this best wait until tomorrow. Or maybe the day after. I think we'd be fine under motor if nothing went wrong. But if, say, the engine chose this particular time to die, we'd be in pretty serious trouble, what with there being only enough anchor and rode on board to make her "race legal." (Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna fix that some day. Haven't gotten that far yet.)

Plus getting out of the old slip and into the new with just me and The Admiral might be a bit dicey. There may be people around the club on a Friday afternoon, but then again...

We were hopin' to move her this afternoon, so we wouldn't have to deal with setting up new dock lines after the racing tomorrow. Then again: It may not be an issue. The winds tomorrow are supposed to be nearly as strong, tho not quite as gusty, so they might just cancel the race.

(I can hear all you SF Bay types just laughin' your backsides off .)

Jim
Don't know about that side of Michigan, but over on our side it is supposed to break between Saturday Afternoon and Sunday Morning.

We are going out Saturday, my marina is nicely protected from the South.
Should be a nice ride with 4 - 6 footers in the open waters.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-19-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
It kind of sounds like you already answered your own question......

But if, say, the engine chose this particular time to die, we'd be in pretty serious trouble, what with there being only enough anchor and rode on board to make her "race legal." (Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna fix that some day. Haven't gotten that far yet.)

Discresion (sp?) IS the better part of valor, and you know what they say about doing things in haste............

I'd sit this one out and wait for a break unless I had more hands available ....
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 10-19-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I just double checked, don't know if its going to break up anytime soon.
Sunday looks pretty nasty as well.

Open water Forecast.........

832 AM CDT FRI OCT 19 2007
...GALE WARNING IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...
.THIS AFTERNOON...SOUTHWEST GALES TO 35 KNOTS BECOMING WEST GALES
TO 40 KNOTS TOWARD EVENING. OCCASIONAL RAIN OR DRIZZLE. WAVES
12 TO 16 FEET.
.TONIGHT...WEST GALES TO 40 KNOTS DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 25 KNOTS.
WAVES 12 TO 16 FEET.
.SATURDAY...WEST WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH 10 TO
20 KNOTS TOWARD EVENING. WAVES 8 TO 12 FEET SUBSIDING TO 5 TO
7 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...SOUTH WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS INCREASING TO
30 KNOTS. WAVES 5 TO 8 FEET BUILDING TO 8 TO 12 FEET OVERNIGHT.
.SUNDAY...SOUTH WINDS TO 30 KNOTS DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 25 KNOTS
TOWARD EVENING. WAVES 8 TO 12 FEET.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-19-2007

timebandit is on a distinguished road
"A man's gotta know his limitations."
Unless someone has a gun at you head, why go?
Fastnet racers went when they should not have and look what happened.
The ocean could care less about your schedule, it does not know you even exist.
Do it in your time.
Old 10-19-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
We are hauling out the club boats today and tomorrow, with myself supposed to be coming out tomorrow morning, but we are looking at thunderstorms followed by 35 knot winds...bad conditions for operating a very large crane.
Old 10-19-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Val,

Your operators did such a great job this spring it should be no problem. Don't forget to take pictures if there is any more excitement.
Old 10-19-2007

Yeah, we're definitely going to take a pass on the idea today. Was out fillin' the car up on the way home, watching that big, heavy fuel hose wavin' in the breeze and the flag up on the pole flappin' and chatterin' in the wind--its halyard bangin' against the flag pole... and that's inland. It's cooled off some since this morning and the sky's now totally overcast. *Blegh* I know some sailors might regard this as perfect sailing weather. Not me. Not today. Maybe someday, but not today.

Took the half day off, anyway. I think it's time for a nap

Jim
Old 10-19-2007

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Not laughing, just curious. Over in SE Michigan, what weather conditions would cause a RC to call a race? Over here in S.F. most of the races I’ve been in that were called due to weather were because of lack of wind (Can you believe that? No wind in San Francisco?) I was in one race that was called because there was lightening along with the storm front (which is a very, very rare occurrence out here). I can’t recall a race being canceled due to too much wind, but I know it is an option as one time they got very close (winds were in the mid-thirties).

One time we didn’t race because we couldn’t figure how to get the boat out of the slip without damaging it, so I guess prudence should be the watch word. Although, you might want to move your boat on race day as you will have extra line handlers. Are you racing JAM? If it is a classic windward leeward course, you might want to think about using your genoa or bigger jib and reef the main for the windward leg. (We also keep the genoa furled during the pre start so I don’t wear out the crew needlessly.) Also get your crew out on the rail and ease the traveler. Your helmsman ought to be able to “feather” (steering up in puffs, and generally steering higher than you would normally do). You might put you a little under your best VMG, but you will make up for all of that on the downwind leg (Shake the reef at the windward mark). If your course is going to have a reaching leg, I’d consider using a smaller jib. Rolling up the jib (I have a Schaeffer furler) doesn’t work very well for me as I lose luff tension and that rolled up fabric on the headstay puts a harmonic vibration into my rig.

Good luck! And I hope it isn’t too knarly out there for you. Remember, it’s the marginal conditions that make the racers a breed apart.
Old 10-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Not laughing, just curious. Over in SE Michigan, what weather conditions would cause a RC to call a race?
I can't speak to other racing organizations, and we've not been racing long here, but I ISTR they'll call a race for excessively high winds (I don't know how high they have to be for that) and lightning. They delayed last Sunday's race, and called back the fleets that had already started, because the wind had died and was obviously about to shift. It was supposed to be a windward/leeward race. By the time the wind came back, it had shifted 90 degrees.

Quote:
One time we didnít race because we couldnít figure how to get the boat out of the slip without damaging it, so I guess prudence should be the watch word.
No worry there. If either The Admiral or I don't like it, we won't race.

Quote:
Although, you might want to move your boat on race day as you will have extra line handlers.
True.

Quote:
Are you racing JAM? If it is a classic windward leeward course,
I don't know whether it's windward/leeward this week, traditional diamond, or one of the "distance" courses (which is windward/leeward plus diamond).

Quote:
you might want to think about using your genoa or bigger jib and reef the main for the windward leg.
Heh. I was thinking a reef and the #3. Talked to the PO earlier today. He said he'd fly the heavy 155, but that was with his experience and his experienced crew. I dunno... but I'm thinking a 155 in that kind of air might be a bit much for our level of experience.

Quote:
(We also keep the genoa furled during the pre start so I donít wear out the crew needlessly.)
We've been putting it up, but that sounds like a good idea for tomorrow.

(Other suggestions noted. Thanks!)

Quote:
Good luck! And I hope it isnít too knarly out there for you. Remember, itís the marginal conditions that make the racers a breed apart.
Thanks! And thanks for the suggestions.

Jim