East Lake Erie sailors - can we have our water back? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Like has all ready been stated in this thread. Mild winters is the main contributor. Mild winters mean no ice coverage, which means continual evaporation.
(Now the Global warming debate can begin again.)

They are going to come back. Again, like has been posted earlier, in the 80's we were at a peak in high levels. People were complaining than because than thier docks were under water.

Where has the drastic change come from in the past thirty years? The Controling locks in Chicago haven't changed, the number of gallons per day that we use for drinking has not changed that drastically since the 1980's.

Its just that we are in a low cycle. They will come back.
It took a long time for them to get this low, its going to take a long time for them to recover.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
By the way,
I don't think any of this has anything to do with the original post.
The original post made a comment about Western Lake Erie versus Eastern Lake Erie not water levels in general on the Great Lakes.

I believe he said something like overnight he noticed a drop. What he may well have experinced was a seiche.

A seiche is where the levels drop on side of the lake while rising on the other side of the lake do to winds and atmospheric pressure. They are not uncommon on the inland seas.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-22-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
As I posted earlier in this thread...there is a huge diversion INTO Lake Superior from lakes & rivers north of Superior that equals the diversions in Chicago and elsewhere.

The rapid drop of Lake Erie last week was a seiche. I'm on Lake St Clair and watched at least 6" of drop, probably more, from the high winds. It took about 24 hours for all of it to return.

According to the ACE presentation, there was dredging in the St Clair River (don't remember the date) but it didn't have a significant effect. Scouring of other parts of the St Clair River are what is causing increased water flow.
They have aerial photos from the 50's 60's 70's & 80's showing how as small walls were built along the beaches of southern Lake Huron to stop erosion, the flow of silt dropped rapidly. They are concerned that the lack of silt is letting the flow of the St. Clair River increase.

Last edited by xort; 10-22-2007 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-22-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
2.1 gallons?!?! Per day?!?! We need to put a stop to that!

Jim
yah, drink more beers and take a piss in the lake. that ought to raise the level some.
Old 10-22-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
This is the price you pay for sailing in fresh water!
Here on the Chesapeake where the water is undrinkable and unuseable for human purposes we sail in muck, crap and commercial and farming effluent, but by gosh we have water (tuesdays and sunday afternoon, other days depending on tidal factors and butterfly takeoff's in Argentina)

Chuckles
Old 10-22-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
but by gosh we have water
Not Sunday...I hit bottom not once, not twice, but three times exiting Still Pond Creek
Old 10-22-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Shucks,
I put a shine on my Gemini's drive leg there (still pond creek - across from the mooring balls) on the 22 of September, and I only need 20 inches. Bunch of PB's anchored right in the channel so I had to go around. First and only time I've stirred mud.
Old 10-22-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
I think what you all need to do is trade up and get a Multi hull it only need 20 inches of water if you buy the right one! Hopefully we get some rain soon!
Old 10-22-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
I think what you all need to do is trade up and get a Multi hull it only need 20 inches of water if you buy the right one! Hopefully we get some rain soon!
I saw a nice multi hull in Still Pond Creek...looked much like yours?
Old 10-22-2007

garymcg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
By the way,
I don't think any of this has anything to do with the original post.
The original post made a comment about Western Lake Erie versus Eastern Lake Erie not water levels in general on the Great Lakes.

I believe he said something like overnight he noticed a drop. What he may well have experinced was a seiche.

A seiche is where the levels drop on side of the lake while rising on the other side of the lake do to winds and atmospheric pressure. They are not uncommon on the inland seas.
That's exactly what it was, only the most extreme seiche I've seen all year. My depthsounder usually reads about 8.4 at the dock, it was down to 5.5 and still dropping when I left. Luckily the water came back up shortly after, as once the sieche starts it oscillates back and forth like a wave in a bathtup. It has a pretty extreme effect on Lake Erie due the length and shallowness of the lake.