Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Good
  • We sailed
  • We "raced" (see also: "The Bad")
  • We finished. (Dead last, except for one boat that didn't finish, but we did finish.)
  • First time in such challenging conditions. Nothing too expensive was damaged. Nobody got hurt.
  • We purchased bibs last night, in anticipation for todays weather. Kept us dry. We would've been soaked, and damned cold and uncomfortable w/o them. (Paired 'em up with Gor-Tex jackets we aready had. Not the height of sailing fashion, but it worked.)
  • The Admiral vetoed flying the heavy genoa. Instead we flew the #3. And a damn good thing, too!
  • We Learned A Lot
The Bad
  • Our boat was stuck in her slip. Took us 30 minutes of running her back-and-forth, rocking her back-and-forth, pushing, pulling, etc., to get her free.
  • Got stuck half-way down the canal, out to the lake. (We got her easily free that time, tho.)
  • Due to the above, we were unable to start the race on time. (But we did start. See also: "The Good.")
  • Discovered, after the main was up and we were well under sail, that I'd fogotten to put the top batten in the main
  • Our wind indicator simply disappeared at some point. (See also: "The Ugly")
  • We destroyed a nearly-brand-new, expensive West Marine boat hook (See also: "The Ugly")
The Ugly
  • In the process of getting her free of her slip: Due to helsman error (that would've been me, at that particular point in time), damn near ran her into a seawall. Only quick thinking by a crew-member up on the bow, in sacrificing a boat hook (See also: "The Bad") prevented a much more expensive lesson in the over-application of power and the inabilty to steer until you've made way. End result: Our bow-pulpit hooked over a cleat on shore neat as you please.
  • Due to crew mis-communication, crew inexperience, and a lying wind indicator (which abandoned ship out of embarrassment, I suspect--see also: "The Bad"), made a *cough* "incautious" maneuver that put us in a position such that only quick thinking by The Other Boat prevented us from being t-boned. (I think he was less than two boat lengths away when he dodged us. )

I think that about covers it.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 10-20-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2007
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
Well Jim, I guess it could have turned out worse... I was asked a few years ago to give up my spot as Genoa trimmer and move to bow man as the skipper had a new guy who wanted to try it out.

While sheeting in after tack, the newbie's watch ( a nice new rolex and EXPENSIVE) got caught between his arm and the sheet (guess which won?) the watch sailed over the side and is waiting for its next owner in Biscayne Bay (even though we tossed a bouy over the side and dove for it the next day)

I was told it was about a $6,000 day for that guy!

Happy sailing!

Tim (who to this day won't wear a watch above deck!
Old 10-21-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I've left watches at the bottom of many a bay and/or harbor. This is why I buy inexpensive ones. Easier and cheaper to replace. Yes cheaper.
As long as it keeps good time I don't need to drop big bucks on a status symbol.
there is one at the head of the fuel pier in Subic Bay. A couple in San Diego harbor. One in Chesapeake Bay. Oh! Include Hawaii also. And a couple in the Gulf of Mexico.
Low cost watches and breakaway bands. The latter has saved my arm a time or two.

Note I'm very careful with my C-Plath Sextant.

Last edited by Boasun; 10-21-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2007

You guys are making me nervous with all this "watch over the side" talk. I was planning on putting a Casio Sea Pathfinder at the top of my Chrismas list to Santa. Not much point unless I'm going to wear it while racing.

Maybe should just get me a usable, inexpensive Casio, instead, and do w/o the fancy countdown-then-start-the-stopwatch-automatically functionality.

The count-down function in our Raymarine knotmeter works well--if you get there on time , and has the added advantage that many in the crew can read it.

Jim
Old 10-21-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
.......I was planning on putting a Casio Sea Pathfinder at the top of my Chrismas list to Santa.......
Jim
Seems Neptune has an insatiable appetite for such baubles........

""Note I'm very careful with my C-Plath Sextant.""...... lanyard....lanyard.......lanyard (which I am sure is what you do..)
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok

Last edited by AjariBonten; 10-21-2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: more silliness ......
Old 10-21-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
About two weeks ago, I dropped my supposed water proof VZ one cell phone in the drink. 5 days @ 12-20' of salt water, ..............did not survive! Oh well, the water proof was for 3' at 1 hr or some such thing! battery still works on replacement phone.

Wedding ring fell off finner one time, it stopped before going over, no more ring for me on boat!

As far as watches go, I have a Swiss Army lanyard watch, use it for work, sailing etc. Great watch!

marty
Old 10-21-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Our son went beach cat sailing at a resort in Mexico the day after his wedding - and came back ashore without his wedding ring!

There are many a tool, phone, etc on the bottom in any marina, usually in a perfect pattern around the plan form of the deck of the boat above!! I've lost my full set of keys (house, boat, work etc) twice... and retrieved them both times with a real good magnet.

But anyway, back to your race day, Jim.... stuff happens and at least you made it through the day with no really expensive issues to deal with. (obviously the other boat realizing your position and avoiding collision is a huge saving grace - btw did you get protested on your first race??)

In a race, as helmsman, you really need to develop the "swivel neck" and have the entire big picture in your head when making maneouvers.... Building constant communication with the crew (especially those that have a better view than you do) is really helpful. In the prestart have someone on the bow to point out traffic you can't see.... on the beat the genoa trimmer has a better view of boats on converging courses...

Finishing is good.. and you can only get better from here!
Old 10-21-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
You guys are making me nervous with all this "watch over the side" talk. I was planning on putting a Casio Sea Pathfinder at the top of my Chrismas list to Santa. Not much point unless I'm going to wear it while racing.

heh...hehheee heee ehhehhe BWAHAHHAHHAHHAA! (bitter laughter).

Get a plastic stopwatch that beeps (under $20). Hang it off a cleat. You're done.

Now, do you want to ask me about Neptune's collection of my old cellphones?
Old 10-21-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
But anyway, back to your race day, Jim.... stuff happens and at least you made it through the day with no really expensive issues to deal with.
Yes, no injuries and no serious damage made the day a success, in my view.

Quote:
(obviously the other boat realizing your position and avoiding collision is a huge saving grace - btw did you get protested on your first race??)
That wasn't our first race. It was our third. But it was our first race in that kind of weather. (Sailflow said 15-20 kts, gusting to 25 to 27. A couple of the boats that'd been out there said it was more like 20-25 kts, gusting to 30.)

No point in protesting us--we finished last, anyway . We were 30 minutes behind the 1st-place boat in our class.

Quote:
Finishing is good.. and you can only get better from here!
I would hope so.

We finished 18th out of a fleet of 21 in our first race. Had never raced before, the crew had never sailed with us before, using the 31-year-old, original sails, rigging was out-of-whack, started late.

Second race: The new sails on, the rigging straightened-out, The Admiral and I had studied-up on sail trim, the crew had a better idea of how the boat worked. We got a good start. Came in 2nd in our class (only 59 seconds out of 1st), 3rd over-all in JAM. Winds were more 5-10 knots. Big difference.

Obviously we need more practice in heavy air. (For example: I just found out from The Admiral that she'd been experiencing a lee helm on both legs going to weather. That explains a lot. If I'd realized it at the time...) Next season we're going to go out and practice with our crew. Participation in this race series wasn't planned.

And yes: We need to improve our situational awareness skills.

Jim
Old 10-22-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
Ok Jim , sounds like you had quite the episode . So let me ask you this ,
as bad as it was , would you say it was better or worse than your best day at work ?