Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Yes, that's in Euros, but the fish is sold by the kilo. So 12.00 euros/kg. = $16.56 Cdn./kilo, which equals about $10 U.S./lb.

Val the price varies from fish to fish.

But is it more expensive than canada and Portugal?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2007
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
Giu,
You won't find good seafood in Colorado or wherever it is out West you go. Now on the coasts of the US you find the best!
Nonsense! They sell oysters in Colorado. Mountain oysters. Yes indeed. Come to think of it they come from the same place that makes the best steaks, so I guess that means they're the best oysters.
Old 10-28-2007
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
What?!?!? No freshwater catfish?!?! Awwww come on. Deep fried catfish with good ole homestyle buttermilk biscuits.....you haven't lived til you've had that. So good it'll make a puppy pull a freight train!
Old 10-28-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I had oysters in Colorado with Charlie, and Crocodile also...he has photos somewhere

Seabreeze....once you eat a good oven baked Dourada...you won't go back to fresh water fish....
Old 10-28-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Gui - There are all sorts of great fish markets in the U.S. with very good selection, many of which are nearly identical to the species in your market. Many of the fish markets in San Francisco's Chinatown have a great variety of fish, both live and on ice. The prices are usually very good too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Gui - There are all sorts of great fish markets in the U.S. with very good selection, many of which are nearly identical to the species in your market. Many of the fish markets in San Francisco's Chinatown have a great variety of fish, both live and on ice. The prices are usually very good too.
Ah ok, but the problem is I normally stay in Hotels and eat in restaurants while in the US.

I guess you're right. Thanks

AND IT'S GIU!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Beautiful Fish there Giu.

The whole roasted salt crusted fish cooking method is one of my favorites. I would add that mixing the salt with egg whites to the approx consistency of wet sand, when heated (coagulates) and forms a hard shell. Try stuffing the cavity with herbs, lemon, ginger, etc. and you wont be disappointed. And its not salty btw...

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-28-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Beautiful Fish there Giu.

The whole roasted salt crusted fish cooking method is one of my favorites. I would add that mixing the salt with egg whites to the approx constituency of wet sand, when heated (coagulates) and forms a hard shell. Try stuffing the cavity with herbs, lemon, ginger, etc. and you wont be disappointed. And its not salty btw...
Thanks T

You know, I am not sure, but I think Giulietta does that with the egg whites to fix the salt.

She does put things inside the fish.

Yes, its not salty at all, just right!!

By the way, in Portuguese we call that "Peixe assado no sal", or "peixe Š Portuguesa"
Old 10-28-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
I had oysters in Colorado with Charlie, and Crocodile also...he has photos somewhere

Seabreeze....once you eat a good oven baked Dourada...you won't go back to fresh water fish....

A good freshwater trout, straight from the river into the frying pan is hard to beat but that's about it for freshwater fish.

Australian fish tend to have the same names as European but are in fact different species. Makes it hard to talk about them but for I like my fish cooked very simply and usually whole fish not fillets. Score the skin, rub in a bit of garlic and grill with lemon at the end or marinate in soy,ginger,chilli and mirren then wrap in foil and bbq or put into a fish steamer. Works for the fish we call Schnapper, Bream, (different to European varieties) Flathead and/or Flounder . Coral Trout and FRESH Barramundi.

Sardines are sardines and I love the little buggers just fried whole with a squeeze of lemon. Some people don't like the bones, I don't give a hoot, eat it all except for the backbone and head.

Also partial to Tuna, Salmon, Blue Eyed Cod and Ocean Trout. Oz has good Tuna and Ocean Trout but Northern hemisphere Salmon is better I think than Southern. Blue Eye is not what Europeans think of as Cod.

Oz has great , and I mean great, rock oysters. Good prawns (shrimp, gamberi whatever), Squid , Scallops and a wonderful little critter called a Moreton Bay Bug. Personally I think lobster is overated but we have fabulous crabs - blue swimmer, mud and spanner.

ps - Alex, I prefer European steak to American or for that matter Australian. The American is big yes but I find them tasteless. Europeans tend to age their beef to perfection annd are not so obsessed with this no fat malarky. An aged scotch fillet, not too thick, bbqed, rare. Hate to say it but the best beef I've ever eaten has been in Spain or France. There is some spectacular beef in Oz but it's hard to find and damned expensive. Most of it gets exported to Japan.

(malarky - nonsense)

pps - love that salt fish thing. I've only had it Spain but it was fabulous.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-28-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Alex,
Do you eat some of the shellfish that are common in Galicia ? I can't remember all the names but Navajas is one and Percebes (spelling ?) another. They are the Spanish names, I guess you would have your own if they are found in Portugal. Hmmmm, yummo.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.