Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Dirty Jobs

Mike Rowe should do a show on pumping/cleaning holding tanks, changing oil, and bottom washing a sailboat! But I suppose those jobs would be minor to some of the things he's had to do. Skelton recovery would be top of the list ew!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
He lives in the neighborhood that I work in. He is a very nice guy, he walks by all the time and we talk to him. Very funny too.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 10-28-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Mike Rowe should do a show on pumping/cleaning holding tanks,
Did that today, for the first time ever in my life. Would've been significantly easier were it not for the fact our pump-out port's top few threads are bad, so we have to remove the washer from the adaptor to get it to thread, which meant a slight air leak, which meant reduced pump-out performance. But we got her done. Did the vinegar and baking soda cleaning before-hand. Pumped 'er out, filled 'er up with water, pumped 'er out again. Will pump a gallon of purple stuff in thru the head as part of winterization.

Quote:
changing oil,
That comes later this week, along with winterizing the coolant system with purple stuff.

Quote:
and bottom washing a sailboat!
That'll get done during haul-out, next weekend .

Then I get to build a frame to tent the tarp. Then we tarp her. Then I can start contemplating a couple of after-haul-out projects, such as rebuild the head's pump, replace the packing in the packing gland, and add a strainer to the fresh-water intake line. Probably would be a Good Idea to trace and document all the wiring, too. (And correct the stuff that isn't up to my standards.) Then there's various wood bits that'll probably be removed and will go home for refinishing... such as the companionway steps...

Then, when April rolls around, she goes back in the water with a fresh coat of bottom paint. Yay!

Jim
Old 10-29-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
But I suppose those jobs would be minor to some of the things he's had to do.
Clearly you've never held the business end of a pressurized pumpout hose when a fitting failed. I guarantee there's nothing minor about it!
Old 10-29-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Clearly you've never held the business end of a pressurized pumpout hose when a fitting failed. I guarantee there's nothing minor about it!
I'm told that (implosion) only happens with overly aggressive pump-out systems and/or when tank vents are plugged.

Jim
Old 10-29-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
I'm told that (implosion) only happens with overly aggressive pump-out systems and/or when tank vents are plugged.
I wasn't talking about an implosion. As the owner of a pumpout service, I see a lot of funky pumpout station setups (we have to offload the pumpout boat, too) and on more than one ocassion I, or one of my boat drivers, have been the victim of jury-rigged equipment.
Old 10-29-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
fsstbttms I agree with you on the setups Marinas have for pumpouts. My dad was a plumber ... Yes, I DO KNOW just what you mean. That's all I'm going to say...except I'm sorry you had to suffer such misfortune also!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2007

Quote:
I'm sorry you had to suffer such misfortune also!
Hey, that's what hepatitis shots are for!
Old 10-29-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
On submarines the holding tanks are blown out with 700psi air pumped into the tank, then opened overboard.
Within the toliet is a stainless steel ball joint about 3 inches around. While blowing there is a constant hiss of escaping air and concommitent bubbling of various liquids.
Prior to blowing the tanks they go around and 'tag out' (hang a red tag) on the flush handle and the door to the head to make sure no one inadvertently gets a 700psi enema.
It still happens, and if you blow it, you clean it - from everywhere, regardless of your rank or position on the boat.
Old 10-29-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
During a dock party last year, we had a few dockmates over for some drinks. One of the female guests, somewhat inebriated and unknowledgable with Lavac heads, asked to use the conveniences.

A few minutes had passed when an alarming scream emanated from the head - prompting another female guest to offer her assistance. It seems she had pumped the Lavac's flush lever - which relies upon a vacuum to empty the bowl's contents . . . while still seated. After a minute, pressure subsided - but not without experiencing a near enema event.