Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
A Tartan Good Time!

Sailed a T34-C yesterday for the first time. ChesBay 20kts gusting to 30. One reef in the main, rolled the 150 into about 120. 6 foot rollers with wind from the north and a long fetch. What a blast! The boat felt solid as a rock with the CB down half way. She liked to round up, but the helm was trimmed nuetral other than that. Great ride! I thought it was too wet for my camera, but we stayed dry in the cockpit to my surprise. I would definitely buy one of these if I found the right one!

Freeman
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
I was driving back from Chestertown yesterday, and the bay looked pretty ferocious around Kent Narrows. Was this a test drive?

Commodore, OPBYC
Old 10-29-2007
Just another stop...

No, it was a day sail with a guy in my marina who owns a T34. He has the boat really well set-up. Very solid. I wouldn't do it in my boat, she is not upgraded enough yet. It was fun to see the migration from Annapolis. Just parade of cruisers running down the wind on their way south. We set the reef in the marina before we ever went out, so all was well in place once we got out there.
Old 10-29-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
When my neighbor with his bow thruster couldn't get back in I chickened out yesterday and didn't go out. Blowing like stink right up the Sassafras. Not enough boats left in the water in my marina so no one was there to help me get back into the slip. Would have been a great sail though!
Old 10-29-2007
Just another stop...

My marina was dead downwind, so getting back was not a problem. Stopping would have been!
Old 10-29-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Dead downwind for me too. Nothing beats trying to get lined up to back in while the wind is really blowing on your beam. I had enough empty slips nearby I probably could have made into one of them.
Old 10-29-2007
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Sounds like you had a fun time yesterday Bardo. Its was kicking up something nasty yesterday wasn't it...?

We sailed to Swan Creek with my parents and our kids yesterday, drooped the hook grilled grilled some Lamb.

There was a lot more wind than my Mom cares for, but we reefed accordingly . I even got her out on the bow for a while with me. The sail over was fast and enjoyable for all as we were on a broad reach. On the way back however it was on the nose and considering Mom is leery of healing much past 15 degrees we motor sailed oh well. My Dad was amazed at how well our two girls handle sailing, Elizabeth is 3 and Olivia 8 months. Dad asked if when having trouble getting them to sleep at home...do we shake the bed and throw them around a bit... True sailors the are becoming .

So Barbo...have you made you mind up as to which boat your going to buy?

Oh...and you want to chat about stressful docking situations. Its that time of year people bring their boats to the marina for haul out right. Well our slip is not the easiest to get in and out of on a good day, let alone not one...but two boats tied up to be pulled. Our boat is 44' overall including the dingy, from the piling to the pier opposite is 38'. Not a big deal, until another boats docks there (they are told to find an empty slip or anchor in the harbor, and trust me the marina got a call from me this morning) So subtract another 10-11 feet of beam from that distance, 18' or so...add that another boat boat was docked at the pump-out, which is in the entrance to C pier, and the wind blowing 20+ knots...and you have a very interesting docking situation.

Anyway, all turned out well...not a scratch on anyones boat. And not to pat myself or crew (my wife) on the back but two people came down and shook my hand after . LOL. Days like that really make me want a bow thruster or a new slip. Hey Sailor Mitch...wanna trade?
Old 10-29-2007
Just another stop...

T37,
I'm still shopping. But I will say that the T37 is now on my list! There is a pretty one down in Deltaville for sale. Too much money, but if I could get the price down I might go for it. So right now, if any of the following cream puffs fell into my lap at a rock bottom price I would snatch it up:
T37
T34 (C)
T33
Ericson 32,34, 35
Freedom 32/33/35
Thats my short list. Anyone dying to give theirs away?
BTW, we sailed over to the mouth of the Little Choptank and back. 2 1/2 hours round trip!
Old 10-29-2007

T37Chef,
That's impressive. I usually just get sighs of relief. Bow thrusters must be nice.
Old 10-29-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Bow thrusters would be a waste on a Catamaran wouldn't they

Gemini's are single engine, but stearable out drive.
I tried to get out, no crew and I'm not singling in that kind of wind on my new Gemini. I'm fortunate in that I'm at the end of a T with 18 ft between the pier and the piling (14 beam) - I just go past the dock, cut a U turn and slide in to a stop, never had a problem even in 20 kts on the beam. Centerboards down keep the windage tamed pretty good.