Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007
sojourner

lazyj is on a distinguished road
Wink Wife says "GET A BIGGER BOAT"

You just have to love it!!!
The Catalina 21 was just great for day sailing up to a week, when I pushed it to 2 weeks up in the San Jaun's she said all right you can get a bigger boat. The problem is we still want to trailer. We have been in 26'ers but still want to go a little bigger.
Would like any info and help on 28'-32' shallow draft, under 3' if possible. Do know about dragging around a big trailer and all the problems as I have to do that on occasion for work, have 1 ton crew 4x4 with full bed. 40 acre turn ration!!!!!!!!!
Boat will be in slip in the local reservoir until it drys up the first of July, after that we like to go for 1-4 weeks up to the San Juan's maybe south to the Sea of Cortez.
Would like to stay under $20,000 if possible.
Is all this possible?
Any ideas on boats?
Fair winds
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2007

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Check into "shearwater" boats. There is a sailor on Trailer Sailor website that has a 27' that he trailers around all over the place. It sits quite low on the trailer (can sail in about 3 feet of water). You can probably do a search to find information about it.
Frank.
Old 10-31-2007

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
Seaward makes a 26 and 32 with a lifting keel. They might be a bit out of your price range as there are not many on the used market.
Old 10-31-2007
O'day 26

joeybkcmo is on a distinguished road
once you start getting over 26' the beam starts going over 8', the C&C mega 30 has an 8' beam, not sure how it would be for a 1-4 week trip
Old 10-31-2007

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Biggest trailerable sailboat I am aware of is the Hobie 33. Narrow hull, retractable keel, and VERY light for a boat that size.
Old 10-31-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
J105's are trailerable, and staying with in the 8.5' width issue. You just have to turn them slightly sidways! Being as the OP is form here in the NW, hopefully he has seen how the unlimited hydros are hauled around, they are over 12' wide, and fit legally on the road at 8.5'

Not that a J105 is the most comfortible boat around, a boat wider tha 8.5' is legally trailerable if one thinks out of the box! There are a couple of custom trailer builders in Bellingham that can make a wider boat legal!

You will want a reasonably size DOT class 2 or 3 truck tho! ie over 8500 GVWR to upwards of 12K!

marty
Old 10-31-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
These are good boats. The design is about as seaworthy a boat as you can find in the "trailerable" category....

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1880&url=
Old 10-31-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Heres a thought! Keep the 21 on the res. get a real keel boat for the coastal crusing! Bet you never go back to the trailer sailor. (IMHO)

I had a trailer sailor for 11 months and sold it.... realized real quick the labor intenseivness of rigging, de-rigging.. etc. Bought a 30ft keel boat. it's 12 - 16 hrs to the ocean from here but someday I'll find the time . good luck!

ps don't show this post to our trailer sailor friends! (don't wanna get yelled at lol)

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-31-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-31-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
I hate to say it, but look at a sail boat with training wheels. A tri-hull.

Sailingdog could help in this department.

Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 10-31-2007
No I dont remember

Raggbagger is on a distinguished road
I think I have to agree with Denise on this one . Once you get to a certain point in your sailing experience , that trailer sailor will get old . I have a little daysailor myself and thats just so I can keep sailing right now . Its a temporary measure . I have owned two full keeled boats myself and crewed on I dont know how many others of varying hull designs . It sounds like its time to step away from the trailer and get a beefy bugger with some ballast .

As I said Im a trailer sailor myself right now , however I dont think a day has gone by in the past two years that I havnt been on line shopping for my next cruiser .

Best of luck with it ,
Paul

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.