SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hell Gate

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  telekitr 
#1 ·
I'll be going through the Champlain Canal next spring and down to NYC and up the East River and through Hell Gate into the Long Island Sound. I would like to hear from anyone who knows the trip and especially the timing of the trip and the tides through Hell Gate, and possible marina recomendations along the way. Also, where do you recommend restepping the mast once through the canal and locks?
Many thanks to the people who responded to my mast storage on deck post.

Ralph (Bud) Macey

#2 ·
#3 ·
You can also get your mast up at Castleton Boat Club. They have a do it yourself crane and it is cheaper there if you are comfortable doing it yourself.

#4 · (Edited)
Pick up a copy of Eldridges Tide & Piloting http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/landfallnav_1972_8124412
Sorry sailnet but I could not find this on your site.
This will be a good reference for you in order to time your passage around The Battery in NY Harbor and up the East River thru Hells Gate. You should look at it as a total exprience going thru the Battery and up the East River as it truely is. Best to be at HG around slack tide so there is no push either way. Next best might be a slight flood tide (tide on the nose but you want to check Eldrich as I have forgotten weather flood tide is in or out at HG ) so as not to get going too fast. Try to avoid extreme tides in either direction as you will feel a bit out of control and won't enjoy it as much. You want to be able to look around an take in everything as there is a lot going on...especially if you time it in the morning around Rush hour. Don't be intimidated..........take your time and have fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.