Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007

Cesco is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Cesco
Question Storebro Royal 33

Got myself a Storebro Royal 33 from 1981. I am renovating it now and trying to get as much info as possible about this model. It's a center cockpit made in Sweden relatively heavy and strongly built. Original engine VP MD17c. She is in quite a good condition and looks good and will look even better soon. Anybody who has or had in the past the same boat? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2007

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Hi
I newer oned one but I found some info that can be usefull.
The boatbuilder are still in business, but today they only build motor boats.
You can fin all the Classic sailboats here http://www.storebro.se/nav.aspx?pageid=99
Maybe they can help with more information.
Old 11-01-2007

Thanks Knuterikt. I had gotten there already, but there isn't much information besides the nice picture. It was their last saiboat and 61 of them were built. Being apparently quite sturdy I would believe quite a few of them are afloat somewhere andit would be great to be able to share info and advise.
Old 11-03-2007

doffe is on a distinguished road
Cesco:

Also just bought one earlier this summer and am cruising down the US east coast at the moment. There is a Google Group (search under Storebro as I am not permitted to post the link), but with very limited activity so far. I have gone through the boat very carefully his summer and would be happy to share my experiences so far. We have also pushed her pretty hard during a late season sail through lake superior, north channel and georgian bay, which she passed with flying colors. She is very stable and well balanced as long as you take the reefs (we sailed in winds ranging from 10 to 20 m/s). We did break a few items and found some leaks that needed fixing, but nothing surprising in light of the age and the preasure. All winches needed TLC, but was all like new folloing disassembly, cleaning and oil/greas. There are a few construction glitches that are useful to keep in mind. I would make sure that you also take a look at all of the through hulls under or near the water line (there are many of them) and replace all hoses that are connected to them, including the one in the cockpit locker.

Best regards,

Doffe
Old 11-04-2007

Hi Doffe
great reading you! I haven't done much sailing so far. But I and others with more experience than me found her more agile than her shape and age would have made presume. All through hulls have been checked, two seacocks changed and I shouldn't have any surprises there. Waiting for some bureaucracy doing its course I've been trying to shape her up with new electronics and changing upholstery and revarnishing the interiors. I had to give up the elegant B&G original instruments as it seems it would have been too expensive to fix and in its place installed ST60+ Raymarine depth speed and wind. New GPS with chartplotter and VHF will be set up this week. There I am done.
I still have the original MD17C engine. Gives out some white smoke but they tell me I shouldn't worry... The temperature tends to go to the end of the green scale. On the go is the flushing of the cooling circuit with citric acid.
I found the charging system not appropriate with two alternators charging the two banks with split charge diodes and so upgraded also there with Sterling chargers. Lots of money but given the boats good overall shape I expect quite a few years of loyal service.
What are the glitches you found?
Ciao. Cesco
Old 11-09-2007

Glitches

There are two glitches that I have found. 1) I have resealed and glassed the forward bulkhead/anchor locker since water will collect at the aft end of the extra floor and the wood may get ruined. 2) Also, there is no proper drain from the cockpit locker if you get any water in there (it will slowly come into the engine compartment where the exhaust hose comes through). I had a diesel leak and it was painfull to get it cleaned up.

I have also rebuilt the battery boxes. Just cooked my starter batteries today as the starter bank alternator would not stop charging and am looking to find a temporary fix for that. Will likely run of the service bank for the next week or so. I alos have had to put new turnbuckles on which is fairly typical for Hasselfors stainless.
Old 11-10-2007

So far I haven't noticed any problems with the anchor locker, but I guess you are right regarding the cockpit locker...little to do about it anyway...just make sure you get no water in it.
Had the same problem with one battery box...but solved it with a layer of epoxy and nylon fabric...hope it lasts.
Ina year or so I'll have to change all the rigging as it's already 12 years old and the insurer may get nervous about that. Fact is that my boat hasn't been sailed much, so there are no stress problems. Rather with the warm waters of middle east I found a few blisters that have been individually cured. With the next bottom work I'll see if it is necessary to epoxy all the hull.
Do you still have the original engine?
Old 12-16-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hi Cesco,

I don't know if you're still checking in on this thread, but I just noticed a post from a family that is on sabattical and heading down the U.S. IntraCoastal Waterway in a center cockpit Storebro Royal 33. They have a blog, and might be a good resource for info on this particular boat:

Blog- One family's trip from the Great Lakes to the ICW

Funny, I'd never heard of this boat previously and now they seem to be popping up all over the place....
Old 01-16-2008

John, I went to see the blog: very well done, It seems that family is having a real good time. As per the SR33 popping up, there are a few being mentioned on the net, but still wondering where the majority of them is. There were 61 built between the end of the 70's and beginning of 80's and most of them should still be around. On the technical side, I solved an issue of the engine temp tending to the end of the green scale flushing the engine with citric acid: it seems it worked. I have some original drawings and documents that I am ready to share: sailplan and electric system codification. Does anybody have more? I would be interested in knowing in which way the boat has been changed from the original project. Ciao
Old 02-05-2008

Cesco:

I am part of the family sailing down the ICW. We are now in Sweden and have left the boat in Ft. Pierce for the time being. I have a complete electric system chart, brochures etc. I would be happy to share them.

Still have the original engine which needs to be renovated, but still works great.

Best regards,

Mattias