Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007

merttan is on a distinguished road
Smile For amateurs, like me :)

I just started sailing this June. Let me tell you, there is no school that will tell you the experiences I'm about to share...
Things I learned;

-->Top of the 22' sailboat's mast is not a happy place! They will tell you that keep the both ends of the halyard secure. But somehow you'll manage to miss one end, eventually. Before you climb, remember to bring something to pull the halyard down. Or you may have to climg down, get it and climb back up again... And picture doing that 2-3 feet seas with 5-10 knot winds. Here is an actual quote from that day: " Holy s..., holy s...! Don't fall onto the deck! Don't fall onto the deck!"

--> If you are sailing with powerboat people, make sure they are wearing pfds and warn them the boat may heel... I'm not used to heeling excessively either, but my buddy (who owns a power cruiser) jumped off the boat when the boat heeled with a sudden gust... Now, you don't expect a living ballast to leave the boat like that so, it suprises you that the boat will heel more with the lost weight and push by the jump! I almost got thrown overboard myself that day... I picked him up, eventually. Promising that we would use the outboard to go back!

-->Cooking with alcohol stoves... Well, first of all, there are two types of alcohol fuels for the alcohol stoves. One for pressurized, one for regular. Beware of which one you need. After a refill of the alcohol stove, I did what I usually do; let some alcohol out to warm up the outlet then pump it to pressurize. The minute I turn the knob it became a flame ball... Honestly, the fire extinguisher powder is not really good for your nose... And clean up is a pain!

--> Never, give the helm to someone who has no idea about boating (sailing aside) but eager to be the captain! One of my buddies, good guy, average intelligence and eager wanted to take the rudder. I let him by thinking that I'll take control if something goes wrong. So the guy takes the helm, lifts it and pulls it out to feel more comfortable. Of course, the rudder came right off of the pins, unexpecting guy lets the helm go with the sudden weight! Good thing to do, always keep it tied up to the railing or a cleat... Mine was and saved the day!

--> Fishing from a sailboat can be funny... So, it's a sailboat, but you are on the water, why not fish? Well, tell people not try to cast! First thing they will catch will be either your folded sails or sheets and lines... Don't get everyone excited if you catch something, having everyone on the one side will really test your balance Make sure that what you catch can be taken aboard... On my 22 footer, a friend caught a 36" bluefish, (I don't eat bluefish so I told him to lose it, he wanted to keep) so we are sitting on the guard rails the blue fish is still kicking and trying to bite, we have nothing to put that thing into. Not a cool situation but extremely funny to watch guys trying to off the fish yet cannot really get close to it without stepping into the cockpit floor...

more to come later...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Great post! Welcome to Sailnet I'll second what you said about powerboat people. They freak when the boat starts "tipping".
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 11-02-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Great/funny post Merttan, you are very welcome here. Cast some warm light on all these curmudgeons. Maybe you can get them to stop arguing about SolarStiks.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
LMAO

Great story, esp. the one about the bluefish!!!!

Welcome Aboard!

Fred
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-02-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for sharing.
Funny stuff. Don't worry, it gets better.
It has to.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 11-02-2007

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Thanks - when learning to sail it helps to wear a clown outfit
Old 11-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... of course a larger boat would solve alot of your ills.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-02-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Great post and welcome. I don't like bluefish either.
Old 11-02-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Oh, my sides hurt. Jumped overboard when the boat heeled... I nearly peed myself, coffee everywhere. Welcome aboard (keep your hands and feet inside the boat please..)
Old 11-02-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Well told!!

Been there done some of those things... we caught a 48" dorado on our last caribbean trip... quite unprepared for such a fish and it did a game job of trying to destroy the boat once we flipped in aboard.

Too funny about the guy jumping ship!