Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007

deepblueme is on a distinguished road
Boat length LOA or ??

When clearing in to the Bahamas where they have fees that go up based at less than 30' and over 30' do they charge by LOA or boat model/name??
Do they have a tape measure or chart??

Anyone have any idea???

LOA
Ericson+ - 29.9'
Newport 30 - 30.5'
Sabre 30 - 30.6'
Catalina 30 mkIII - 31.6'

I am starting to look at for small "big" boat and that I will be using in the Keys and Bahamas.

The which boat should I buy post will come later.
I promise it will have the what, when, where, budget and experience needed to give proper answers after reading 50+ pages of the buying a boat fourm it seems most people leave the important info out when asking "What boat is perfect for me?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
if the fee schedule is a part of the criteria, you can't afford the boat.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 11-02-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Funny CP...and right!!

DeepBlue...the Bahamas charge goes up at ACTUAL boat length of 35 feet or more. You seem to be focused on 30' so I thought I'd point that out.
As a practical matter...they will most likely accept whatever it says on your documentation about length.
Old 11-02-2007

Thanks for the correction!!!
Your right about me looking at 30' boats. It's a size that the other half and myself can live with for the type of sailing we plan on doing and I just can't see spending the money for a 34' over a 30' for what you get and have to spend for the up keep.
The boat budget is 15-17,000 with 5-7000 to make her Gulf Stream ready.

I was thinking why spend the extra money for a permit and slip fees if all i get is 2 extra feet of boat.
Old 11-02-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Deep...nothing wrong with a 30 foot boat for the Bahamas and Florida and particularly in the keys...a shoal draft will be a big advantage and allow you to cruise inside rather than in the Hawk channel exclusively. As far as Gulf Stream prep goes...my biggest advice will be to have your engine surveyed by a diesel mechanic and with him present on sea trial before you lay your money down. Then spend a bit to clean out the fuel tanks and add a good racor filter. If you are going to be doing extended time cruising at anchor...pay particular attention to where you will put all the battery capacity you need and how much water tankage the boats you are looking at have. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2007

Thanks for the advice Cam, I have been lurking here for about a year now and you guys really are a big help to the newbie/dreamer crowd.

I've been looking at ALOT of different 29-31 footers in and out of my price range mostly at shoal draft, fractional rigs with newer diesels. I am a fair hand at a diesel we pulled one in a 28' foot dive boat I worked on and rebuit it from the pan up, have worked on alot of friends hotrod rebuilds, I'm not arfraid to get grease under my nails...
I even have a fair bit of sea time under my feet (198days, 22 Gulf Stream crossings as crew on a Live aboard dive boat, 65ft sloop sailing the Bahamas) seen alot of things that can/will go wrong in the Gulf Stream, dirty fuel, torn sails, pop up storms, hydrulic hose to steering breaking my favorite repair so far.

That said I will still be having a FULL survey done hull,rig and engine after reading about all the horror stories out there.
Hopefully I'll be out there within the next 2 years, I gave my self till I was 46 to have "MY" Bahamas boat.

Thanks again to everyone here at Sailnet.

Last edited by deepblueme; 11-02-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2007
moderate?

Sounds like you will be well prepared to deal with anything when you shove off Deep. Welcome out from the dark side of Sailnet! (g)
Old 11-02-2007

jimshrayef is on a distinguished road
Question boat lenght

I've been looking to buy my first boat, from a Catalina 25 w/folding keel to a 32'. But I do not want to buy a boat that I could not handle, nor would like to buy something to use in a swimming pool.
If I needed to buy a boat that I could safely take off anywhere safely, what would you recomend considering my inexperience?
Thanks
Old 11-02-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Welcome Jim,

Stick around, read a bunch, then ask again in a week or two.

You will be amazed by what you learn; and you'll be able to ask your question a lot more specifically and get much better answers.

Fred
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-02-2007

But I am smart enough to know that I don't know much!!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.