Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
One of the reasons we are going cruising for five years is because we deliberately want to keep our son away from our own culture during his formative years,
That is so incredibly sad .

Quote:
because we have real reservations about the values of our culture,
And this is in Canada, which, by all accounts, is less a social wasteland than the U.S.A.

Quote:
and about the way in which parents have ceded the responsibility of raising their children to the schools, television, toys designed to market other toys, and the sort of viciousness that thinks having a 9-year-old girl wear make-up, a belly-baring shirt and the word "BITCH" on the seat of her pants is "cute".
Hear, hear!

I am reminded of an incident a few years ago and a story from a teacher I know. The incident was two children playing on an escalator with their mother standing right there. This happened to be at Christmas-time. Finally, in their play, they bumped into me. I gave 'em "The Look." Stopped 'em dead in their tracks. Did their mother apologize? Hell no. "Grinch!," she said. I just turned away, it being the season and all. But what I should have done was read her the riot act. To include the prediction that if one of her little out-of-control darlings injured themselves on that escalator, she'd probably be looking to sue the store.

The teacher... A good teacher, if I'm any judge of character, who was just barely able to keep his job. "Why," you ask, "if he'd a good teacher?" Well, problem is, he tended to grade honestly--based on reality. None of this "feel good" crap for him. It seems the school regularly received demands from parents that the school force him to give their failing children good grades, despite the fact they hadn't earned them. This is in private schools, mind you. So the rot isn't just in the public schools, tho I suspect the rot is much worse there.

Quote:
Better to be on a boat, seeing how the rest of the world lives, while there is still a rest of the world to visit, and from which to learn.
Probably so.

Whatever you do: If the Canadian public school system is anything like what the public school systems in the U.S. have become: Keep the child out of it as long as possible. What these institutions have become can't be described in polite company.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2007

Waterrat is on a distinguished road
I have taught in one form or another in wellover 30 schools and it does depend on the schools but for the most part they are all horrible. It is tuff to help someone become a learner when you have 6 classes and 35 kids in each class. No matter how much time you spend planning, grading, and teaching you will never be half as effective as we should be. I have taught in schools where 70% of the freshmen were failing every single class. I had to teach them biology according to the No Child Left Behind Standards. This is when 95% of my students never learned basic life sciences and could have learned something of value to them if I could have taught to their level. We tell our kids to learn what we tell them they need to know instead of teaching them how to learn and enjoy learning. Our schools teach a thin veneer of informtion and don't give any depth. Just my observations.
Old 11-06-2007
Just another stop...

Bardo is on a distinguished road
Is this why we all love to sail? To get away from what we consider a dying society? I am really saddened by that thought. It may be true. My children love the boat, and are sailing more and more (7&8 y/o). I have always viewed it as my job to give them the best experience possible. Filling in where teaching falls short, providing the foundations of morality, decency and kindness (with strength), exposing them to nature, music, art and science first hand. And I am trying to teach them that our ultimate tool against consumerism and materialism is our ability to say NO. Even in the fast-paced consumer oriented world we live in, you don't have to listen to all the noise in the world. Maybe this is the real value of sailing, hearing the purest of sounds and being purified and fortified by them. Whoa. Sorry, but you hit a real chord with me there.
Old 11-06-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Hey Rat, tell us how you really feel

I totally agree. Generalizations; but true more often than not. I administer adult education/work programs, and you would not believe (or maybe you would) the number of adults carrying high school diplomas who read & write at a 3rd or 4th grade level. Then we wonder why they're on public assistance (welfare).

And no, it's not all the school's fault. There's plenty to go around: Parents, Media, School Bureaucracy, Students themselves, A Generally Lazy populace, declining work ethic, declining ethics in general, it goes on and on.

Don't Worry, Be Happy, there's always television!

Bardo, very eloquent. If all parents could have the same philosophy there might be more hope....
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-06-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
San Francisco is still doing pretty good as far as the interest in sailing. People come down to the beach to watch the weekend races during the summer. Its cold and windy, but everyone is smiling.

Vaya con Dios
Old 11-06-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
... And then there are some oddballs who didn't grow up on the coast of anything, whose parents had nothing to do with sailing, and never even met anyone who ever sailed, who tried to become a sailor anyway. Way back as a kid in central Mass my parents used to take me for an occasional canoe ride and in the back of my fathers Outdoor Life's or Field and Stream's there were ads for 'Sail Kits' by Old Town Canoe. Well..... 20 years later or about 30 years ago I did a crude re-furbish of my fathers failing 14' wood & canvas canoe. After a couple years of playing with that I longed for something else, called Old Town Canoe up in Maine and then took a drive up there and bought a 'sail kit'. The basics of how a sail boat works was spelled out to me in grammer school science books waaayyy back when so I slapped it together, strapped it onto the car roof, headed down to a local pond, and tacked off into the wind........... Now all the Yacht Club programs or whatever are great and I'm not putting them down but I think if someone is going to become a sailor he or she will whether it is spoon fed to them or not.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 11-06-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
If TB hadn't posted pictures of young people sailing, I would have just assumed he was lying. We all know he's a whoremonger and dope fiend, so why not a liar too? But the pictures tell the story, so I stand corrected.

Tommy, HHI is an odd place, and after a year I still haven't figured it out. In the past it's been a big retirement destination, but it's been in a process changing. Lots of young families are moving here from across the country. I'm 41, and we've met quite a few people our age, and it seems that these are the people who can't seem to live life away from the tv. Lots of sculpted facial hair, tatoos -- and they actually play video games. Gotta have the soul patch and tattoos so people don't forget yer a Playstation-playin' rebel!

The race I was in was sponsored by the South Carolina Yacht Club, which his based in Windmill Harbor. It's an unbelieveable facility, with a lock system and a gorgeous club house. However, the overwhelming majority of members don't sail. It's more of a supper club than a sailing club. It's also got a very peculiar Southern thing going on. Everyone comes dressed to the nines, while the sailing folk look like they just stepped off a boat after a long sail, which is as it should be. There are just very few of them, and their numbers are dwindling -- at least around here.

Stan, when you were here, did you see Windmill Harbour? I know you and your wife were at the Yacht Basin, which is definitely nice. Windmill Harbor, however, is where you'll see a great variety of sailboats...
Old 11-06-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Actually Hog, in my Country its the opposite, more people sailing now then ever.

The sailing club where my son races has a waiting list of at least 30 kids.

Most clubs have the teams full, and the amount of older people getting into sailing increased by almost 120% since last year.

We have a problem now..not enough boats for the kids to start.

I know a guy that drives evry Saturday and every sunday, 100 miles each way, so his son can sail in an Opti.
Same thing down here. Trying to get across Sydney Harbour on a Saturday afternoon is one perilous occupation. Everything from the latest hi-tech screamers in both keelers and skiffs to a fleet of replica 18' skiffs and kids on lasers and opti like dinghys.

Yes, there are a lot more stinkers out there but the sailing fleets are alive and kicking.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-06-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
TDW,
I don't know if you noticed, but Alex didn't post any pictures to back up his claims. Therefore I think we should just assume he was lying.
Old 11-06-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
We all know he's a whoremonger and dope fiend...
You 'say' that like it's a bad thing?