Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
SF Bay oil spill

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/index?sec...cal&id=5750652

I am far from a dolphin lovin tree hugger, but sh**. No sailing for a couple of weeks till it all floats out.
Old 11-09-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
yeah, i feel for you guys that totally sux! remember, i'm right next door, hopefully it will just mysteriously disappear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Was it petroleum or petroleum jelly that spilled?

GySgt, I like that Churchill quote. Years ago I had a chance to visit Chartwell. Apparently he had all manner of livestock there -- ducks, pigs, goats, sheep, dairy cows. There were little barns with conical-shaped roofs dating back to the Middle Ages there. Louis Carrol (sp), the guy who wrote Jabberwocky and Alice in Wonderland, lived down the street. Crazy place. You're right. Pigs are very sexy. Very, very, very sexy. Very sexy. MmmmMmmmm...
Old 11-09-2007
Semper Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Was it petroleum or petroleum jelly that spilled?

GySgt, I like that Churchill quote. Years ago I had a chance to visit Chartwell. Apparently he had all manner of livestock there -- ducks, pigs, goats, sheep, dairy cows. There were little barns with conical-shaped roofs dating back to the Middle Ages there. Louis Carrol (sp), the guy who wrote Jabberwocky and Alice in Wonderland, lived down the street. Crazy place. You're right. Pigs are very sexy. Very, very, very sexy. Very sexy. MmmmMmmmm...
LOL, you are one sick Pirate, but I agree, gotta love those pigs.

It was fuel oil, the thick tar like stuff that used to be in it's fuel tank before he peeled the hull like a can opener. The pilot left the boat right after like the cheese eating surrender monkey he is. It took the CG 22 hours to hunt him down.

CG says the pilot was tested with in 2 hours, which is different than initial news reports

Last edited by GySgt; 11-09-2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: CG press release
Old 11-09-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
What nationality was he?
Old 11-09-2007
Semper Gumby

US I believe. The Captain gives control of his vessel about 10 miles out golden gate to a "certified" pilot, and only the rent-a-pilot can navigate the bay. When they go under that bridge there is only about 100 ft on each side with some nasty currents at times.
Old 11-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, it wasn't crude... IIRC, it was bunker oil, which is heavier than normal light crude, and some of it may sink, and coat the bay's bottom, killing a wide swath of life on the seafloor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-09-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
According to the report I read the USCG tested the pilot as well as the crew for alcohol within two hours of the incident. The pilot has a degree of responsibility, but the ultimate responsibility lies with the Master.

There are various grades of fuel oil burned in ship's diesel engines. HFO or heavy fuel oil is generally burned at sea. It may be blended with IFO or intermediate fuel oil for manoeuvering the engine, or IFO alone may be used in those evolutions. Both products are heated within the side tanks they are carried in, in container ships. At ambient temperature they are unpumpable and are not the diesel fuel most mariners are familiar with.

Contact with ambient conditions may cause certain paraffin fractions ot congeal and possibly sink, but most of the oil will float although will have the dark heavy appearance of crude oil, which it is not.

The key to dealing with such incidents is the availability of containment systems. While bunkering (taking on fuel oil for main engines or boilers) in Europoort we experienced the bunker barge's hose rupturing, discharging a couple hundred barrels (42 gal) of HFO into the harbor. Within the hour the spill tug and floating containment booms were alongside and the oil was vacuumed up to the extent we sailed within six hours. Europoort does not have the tidal considerations of SF Bay and the incident occured alonside a sheltered wharf.

There may well be proceedings against the pilot's license, but the Master and company are screwed. Whether the Master will retain his license will be dependant upon the issueing nation's maritime board. It's quite possible the license is Liberian or Panamanian issued and he'll retain it. It's much more likely the pilot will be terminated by the SF Bay Pilot's Assosciation than that the CG will suspend or revoke his license. The pilot is on board as an "advisor" even though his presence is required by law. The responsibility for the vessel remains with the Master, and ultimately the company.

Be prepared for much wringing of hands and wild accusations flying about. A cursory examination of the data will reveal that merchant ship operations, particularly out of the very busy Middle harbor Terminal at Oakland, are very safe. Not far away, the Chevron refinery located at the Richmond Long Wharf, averages about one 70,000 ton tanker per day discharging millions of barrels of Alaskan residium per day without incident. Most residents, and fewer reporters, have any conception of the sheer volume of ships and cargo that move through the port daily, and quite safely. In terms of maritime accidents this one was rather minor, although the effects of wind and tide will make it seem much worse. One account I read headlined with "dead duck" found. No doubt an exhaustive accounting will be forthcoming.

An update on the plans of the Looney Left to seperate citizens and shippers from their future monies can be found below. Be prepared for suggestions ranging all the way up to eliminating commercial traffic. The last thing that will be suggested, and the one with the ability to prevent the most future damage, is an expansion of spill containment and clean-up resources. It's much easier to blame the evil corporate ship owners.

Note that your tax payer funded USCG resources are allocated to the rapid response of CG personnel to ensure the ship's baker was sober. Just an outgrowth of the Valdez incident which increased the bureaucracy while doing little to address maritime safety in practise. Being California, I fully expect this to assume proportions last seen with the Torrey Canyon grounding!

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/200...8/18459201.php

Last edited by sailaway21; 11-09-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Dog,
Us tankermen will eagerly await your dissertation on how HFO ( actually IFO) is "heavier" than the crude oil it is refined from. (g)
Old 11-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailaway-

From what I was told... bunker oil is heavier than light crude because it is what is leftover after the lighter, more desirable, components of crude oil are taken away in the distillation process. It is almost asphalt or tar-like in appearance and has the consistency of honey or thick corn syrup at 50˚F. As it ages, it becomes heavier, as the remaining volatiles evaporate off. It is used in some large marine diesel power plants, as well as steam generating power plants.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.