Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Anytime Giu... He's a good kid... so is Luis... must take after their mother.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Now you all know what surprised me: how unaccented Fred's English is. He could show up in a Canadian school tomorrow and people might think he grew up in Montreal in a bilingual family.

Seriously, I was with this boy on a boat for two days, and you can only tell he's Portuguese by every tenth word or so. Must be the cartoons!

If he didn't know the English word for something, I just tried to explain in French or Latin...he seemed to get it.

Alex's wife speaks very well also, and Alex's friend "Lead Head, Master Halyard Retriever" speaks it well enough to make puns and jokes! He just needed 24 hours of "warming up".

It really puts most of us to shame on this side of the ocean.
Old 11-13-2007

I might add that despite the fact that I work constantly with computers and other technology, I find it fascinating that I can see videos of a kid playing in a room halfway around the world only minutes after it's been recorded.

We live in very interesting times.
Old 11-14-2007
Optimist,a small big boat

OPTIMANIA has a spectacular aura about OPTIMANIA has a spectacular aura about
helo Marc.

I am going to visit Canadá next year with my dad and mum and Luis.

We are going to Canadá. You eat percebes in Portugal and liked, you want me to bring more for your son?

bye bye, I am now going back to school I came for lunch.

You like maclaughlin?

Old 11-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTIMANIA View Post
helo Marc.

I am going to visit Canadá next year with my dad and mum and Luis.

We are going to Canadá. You eat percebes in Portugal and liked, you want me to bring more for your son?

bye bye, I am now going back to school I came for lunch.

You like maclaughlin?
I think my son would have to be introduced to percebes slowly...he is what we call a picky eater. Also, I think if you put them in your bagagem, they would be ...unpleasant...by the time you arrived. But thank you for the offer.

I don't know MacLaughlin, because I don't sail the Optimist. But if the guys here say it's good, I would believe them. I think they want you to go all the way to the Olympics.

My son is six years old, seven next September, and I am going to try to get him into Optimist Junior Sailing next June (he will need special permission, because seven is the earliest age he can join). So maybe when you are here, you can show them how it's done.

I will also have my 3 metre centreboard dinghy by then. You can take it into the lake, and we will follow you in the "rescue boat".

I have to go to my boat now, Fred. Many interesting things to do down there. Talk to you later.
Old 11-14-2007

Marc, I want to sail with your son, and you folow me, OK.

Can you bring Tom? we put spider in his head

Old 11-14-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hi Fred,

We like the McLaughlin Optis. They are made in the USA. I am not certain, but I do not think the Vanguard Opti hulls are made in USA -- maybe China I think. We like the transparent (clear) transoms on the McLaughlins, so you can easily see if you are dragging your stern -- and, as you say, to see the fish!

We almost bought a Mclaughlin Opti for my son -- but now he is a little bit older than you and he wants a Laser. If you decide to buy a McLaughlin, please tell your Dad that you can test-sail them at most big Opti regattas in the USA. And, you can often buy an almost brand new McLaughlin after the regatta -- McLaughlin brings the new optis to the regatta for children who come from far away to race and who cannot bring their own boats. When they are done sailing, McLaughlin likes to sell the boats instead of having to truck them all back to the factory. Maybe that would help you to get one?

Good luck to you, Fred. Sail fast!
Old 11-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTIMANIA View Post
Marc, I want to sail with your son, and you folow me, OK.

Can you bring Tom? we put spider in his head

Tom lives about two Portugals and a Spain west of here, Fred, but he is welcome to come to Toronto and visit anytime. He lived here for a while, and knows our strange customs.
Old 11-21-2007

Tom lives in two Portugals?

Where is Tom?

Old 11-21-2007

Tom is in Michigan, which is a U.S. state on the south side of the Great Lakes.

By two Portugals and a Spain, I mean that you could fit twice the width of Portugal plus the width of Spain in the space between where I live and where he lives. My country is the same size as all of Europe, and the United States is nearly as big. But Tom and I think that we are relatively close to each other...I can probably drive only eight hours to get to his town!

So if you come here, it may surprise you that you spend so much time in the jet airplane over land after crossing the ocean. One of the lakes in my province, Lake Superior, is only slightly smaller than Portugal. It would take about two weeks to cross it in an Optimist...