Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007

jwms is on a distinguished road
Outfitting and upgrading a Catalina 36 would be a series of great lessons in what makes a boat "seaworthy." Those lessons would be very useful when looking for your next, more expensive, "offshore" boat. Those lessons would also be valuable when actually voyaging in any boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Mike,

I am not going to regurgitate what has been said here. I will say that for your intended use, it is a great boat - that is coastal cruising, etc. Ever sailied a C36?? Great sailing boat. YOu will just plain have fun sailing it and just going out on it.

Many cruisers I have known have gone all over the place (N/S America) on a C36. I talked to a couple about amonth ago that lived on theirs for 7 years in the carib. Another I know sailed the carib, around New York, then back down to the carib twice before letting go of her. ANother couple I have communicated with still live on their C36 in the carib.

It is a very comfortable layout, and pretty traditional. It is easy to sail and a nice liveaboard. It should be easy to get rid of when the time should come.

Now that I have said all these praises, I will also say that it would not be my first choice of boats to hop across ANY pond on. In addition to the concerns laid out by Simon, the portholes are not my preferred portholes for crossing, you might want to consider updating/replacing the rigging for something newer (given the age of the boat), and you will have to secure all bilge boards and deck access (like the anchor locker) with positive locks. That is just a few of the things that pop to mind. ANd let's not forget this boat does not have a skeg hung (IIRC) rudder or water tight bulkhead.

SO, can you fix/change all of this? I guess. But the cost would be extraordinary and I doubt you would ever get it back when you sell it. Maybe you don't do all that sstuff and just take your chances. Or, maybe you would be better suited buying another boat that is made for that purpose. HOWEVER>>>>>>>> before you do that:

I find most blue water boats slow and typically motored (no offense).

I find most BW boats tight in both cockpit and down below (by design). Many of them just seem uncomfortable liveaboards until you get into the larger boats.

I find BW boats dissporportionaltely priced, in general.

Buy your boat for your intended purpose. If you are soon to go offshore, buy a boat focused on that. But if that is only a maybe, then buy a boat you will enjoy sailing and will enjoy living aboard. If you really want to cross the pond after that, you will know better than I what your boat would need and whether to replace it or ship it.

Just my suggestions. Take them for what they are worth (probably not much!!! smile)

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-14-2007

MikeAlyea is on a distinguished road
I'm blown away by the amount of info available on this webiste! Thanks to all who've responded to my initial post regarding outfitting a Catalina 36 for 'across the pond' passagemaking. Now, back to the initial question(s).
What are her weak points in the bluewater/passagemaking arena?
What are the logical upgrades I can have done that will enhance her offshore capability while still retaining the good qualities I'll enjoy in coastal So Cal?
Old 11-14-2007

The amount of info on this site is amazing! Thanks to all who have responded thus far regarding a Catalina 36 upgrade for 'across the pond' passagemaking.
Now, back to the original questions.
What are her (C36) weak points in the bluewater/passagemaking arena? What are the logical upgrades I can have done that will enhance her (C36) offshore capability while still retaining the good qualities I'll enjoy in coastal So Cal?
Thanks again in advance!
Old 11-14-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Are you *sure* you don't want a different boat? Because the costs involved to beef up a production boat of any make from anticipated coastal use to bluewater could be ruinously expensive...and you still wouldn't have a bombproof boat, relatively speaking.

Allow me an example: I had a friend in my teenage years who spent a summer putting a 427 cu. in. Chevy V8 engine into a Vega. Oh, how he worked. Finally, he was done. We all hopped in and the rumble of the engine was stunningly loud. So was the sound of the transmission exploding after about 15 minutes at a mere 75 mph. So was the sound of a body panel flying off from the ridiculous vibration. Lucky I had cab fare. It turned out that while you can convert a Vega into a hot rod, it's still a Vega, and it won't last long as a hot rod.

See the full keel/fin keel thread for some greater depth.
Old 11-14-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlyea View Post
The amount of info on this site is amazing! Thanks to all who have responded thus far regarding a Catalina 36 upgrade for 'across the pond' passagemaking.
Now, back to the original questions.
What are her (C36) weak points in the bluewater/passagemaking arena? What are the logical upgrades I can have done that will enhance her (C36) offshore capability while still retaining the good qualities I'll enjoy in coastal So Cal?
Thanks again in advance!
Mike: I love Catalinas... I am a tech editor for them. But forst let me ask: WHat do you define as offshore and passagemaking? How many weeks at sea and how many days/weeks from the closest land mass?

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-15-2007

I'm thinkin' minimum passage from So Cal to Hawaii and maximum passage from Miami to England .... so something on the order of 4 to 6 weeks time at sea.
Thanks to all for all the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlyea View Post
I'm thinkin' minimum passage from So Cal to Hawaii and maximum passage from Miami to England .... so something on the order of 4 to 6 weeks time at sea.
Thanks to all for all the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike,

It is the wrong boat. Sorry. Buy a Tayana 37 for that run. It will not be much more money upfront and the in the end will likely be less money.

People have done it... it has been done many times. If you are serious that this is the only boat you would consider doing it, I will put some thought into it. I just hope it is not intended to be an academic excercise on my part. WHy THAT boat?? 80's-90's will get you a T-37 that will be close to making that trip and outfitting a c36 at 60k may cost you more than that.

I am not trying to be difficult, honetsly. I am just trying to understand. PM me if you would like or we can discuss over the phone.

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-15-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
MikeAlyea.

The big problem as I see it is you are talking about ocean travel in the higher latitudes. You will get hammerd there is no doubt about it, and to spend a week or weeks pushing through a sea way a light weight production boat will not be fun (not that is ever is) and the odds of sustaining structual damage is very real.
That said, I would seriously consider the C36 capable of a Pacific crossing with the trades at the right time of the year with some basic modifications not rushing or working to a strict timetable. Hey I may just do it myself.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 11-15-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
MikeAlyea.

The big problem as I see it is you are talking about ocean travel in the higher latitudes. You will get hammerd there is no doubt about it, and to spend a week or weeks pushing through a sea way a light weight production boat will not be fun (not that is ever is) and the odds of sustaining structual damage is very real.
That said, I would seriously consider the C36 capable of a Pacific crossing with the trades at the right time of the year with some basic modifications not rushing or working to a strict timetable. Hey I may just do it myself.
Simon and I have discussed this in some lengths. He knows those lats better than me and can provide some real insight. If he is amenable, you should PM him.

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.