Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2007

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
C36 to Hawaii

It was done as recently as this summer. Lady Liberty, a 1987 Catalina 36 from Oxnard raced the 2007 Transpac. As a side note, I would think that it is a very safe bet that there are more Santa Cruz's (and N/M's, and Andrews, and J's) crossing oceans every year than BCC's or Westsails. They also return from their various ocean passages against the trades, remember. A full keel, attached rudder, bulwarks, etc., etc. are hardly the absolute necessity some seem to propose. Also, remember that racers can't wait out bad weather and have to sail no matter what they may encounter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2007

MikeAlyea is on a distinguished road
I think I'm coming to recognize just how similar sailing and aviation are. I can fly around the globe in a Cessna 172 - under the 'right conditions' - but WHY?
It sounds like the C36 is nearly ideal for my first 'big boat' slipped in So Cal and sailed 'near offshore' from Cabo to San Fran - with a passage to Hawaii not out of the question. But, when/if the time comes (ie, retirement) that I need to circumnavigate, rather than, shall we say - 'putting lipstick on a pig' -I'll just need to bite the bullet, write the check and buy a true bluewater cruiser.
In the meantime, I'm looking for all the advice available on how best to refit an older C36 to get the most out of her.
I owe everybody lunch - fish tacos at South Beach!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2007

Newporter is on a distinguished road
If your interested in a B/W cruiser, I have a Tayana 37 MK II fully loaded for cruising up in Newport, Or.

S/V Tundra Spirit
Old 11-15-2007

MikeAlyea is on a distinguished road
Year, rig, equipment, recent refits? I see some T37s listed as low as $47,500 - how much are you asking?
Old 11-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mike...a T37 in good condition is an 80-100k boat. Anything listed for less than that will need a lot of work IMHO. You will find the T37 quite small and cramped compared to the Catalina...but that is the trade-off for seaworthiness.
As to Catalina36's...you've gotten good advice here and I am also a fan of the boats for their purpose. One thing I have only seen brushed upon for bluewater use is that the hull has a LOT of flex to it as the seas get heavier. This means that on long passages, the hull and things attached to it like bulkheads and hull deck joint will get flexed extensively which will leads to a lot of wear and tear and possible failures. I don't think you can "upgrade" out of that problem.
Old 11-15-2007

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
For some unknown reason, there are a lot of people around here who like to denigrate Catalina’s. I’m not sure why. A C36 is more than capable for cruising the region between San Francisco and Banderas Bay. I personally know a retired couple who have been cruising western Mexico for the past six years in a C36. Oh, and another thing, at 16,000 pounds, I wouldn’t consider this boat a “lightweight” anything.

Up here in San Francisco, your price range is going to limit you to boats built in the mid 1980s. A lot of what you will have to do is in the nature of bringing the boat up to a more modern cruising standard rather than making it “blue water capable”. For example, you will be looking at: upgrading the electrical and battery systems; installing some sort of auxiliary battery charging system; putting in some long range communication capability; Upgrading the navigation suite; installing a water maker: And an autopilot/self steering system if you plan on sailing short handed.

I am currently helping on bringing a Nordic 44 up to the ORC (Ocean) Category 1 standard so we can race the Pacific Cup. I can tell you there isn’t a boat around that at that standard when shipped from the builder. The biggest thing you have to do is install an emergency steering (rudder) system. The second thing is developing a locking mechanism for the main hatch slider. The Lewmar Ocean series hatches are sufficient although you might want to swap out the plastic Bomar opening portlights for something more substantial. After-all, with a boat that old, you will be removing and rebedding everything anyways. A C36 out of Southern Californial had a bad experience breaking a rudder some time ago. You will want the yard to remove and inspect the rudder shaft and bearing for wear. Also, you should replace the rigging on a boat of that age. If you are thinking of a third reef or storm trysail, you may want to consider putting in a “baby stay” although you’ll probably get a lot more use out of a good spinnaker down in Mexico.

Catalina is one of the few builders left who build the hull and deck first then “fish” interior components through the companionway before installing them. On one hand, it’s nice to know that anything inside the boat can be replaced and it is easy to unscrew interior pieces in order to route wiring and plumbing. The downside is some wood panels are prone to creaking. If that bothers you, feel free to glue everything together with 5200 like the other builders do.

You will hear a lot about the lack of tankage on a C36. They are indeed designed to have a “cruising range” of one week (this is from Gerry Douglas, the designer). So this boat is a little “short legged” for the coast of Baja. However, technology has evolved enough to get a smaller water maker that is modular and the installation can be broken down into several spaces on the boat. I know of one person who did this and swapped out the second water tank for a fuel tank. In regards to fuel tankage, a large number of cruisers employ jerry jugs so don’t worry if you think this is a fashion faux pas.

The C36 owner’s website is an excellent technical resource as is the Single Handed Sailor’s Society of San Francisco. The Pacific Cup website is another great resource for “blue water” preparation.

Given the right weather window, this boat will do the extended cruising you are thinking about. But why would you want to go to someplace like Hawaiil? It’s 2,200 nm out in the middle of nowhere and there is no parking once you get there. For example, once we finish the Pacific Cup in the Nordic, we only have two weeks to prep the boat for the return trip before they kick us out of Kaneohe.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 11-15-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-15-2007

She's an 84 cutter rig. No teak on deck all fiber glass. She has 100 gallons of fuel, 100 gallons of water, water maker, solar panels, auto pilot, Monitor wind vane, 6 bank house baterries 748 amps, 1 starter batterie, cruising spiniker, 2 mains, roller furling, 3 anchors 300 feet 3/8 chain rode. Radar, wind, knot and depth finder. New stays in 97, new bottom paint in 06 no blisters. Many extras. Asking mid 90K. Shes been cruising Mexico when I found her in Lapaz. I bought her in 98 with the thought of cruising when retired. Unfortunately personal life issues came about and decide to either sell her or just live aboard. Only sailed her a couple times since owning her so pretty green on the boats performance. She's very clean and well maintained.
Old 11-15-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
There is a big difference between an ocean race boat and a cruiser. Number age experience and fitness of crew for a start. These factors plus the anticipated duration of the race/cruising would also influence the degree of discomfort tolerable.
They may not wait out bad weather, but many also end up retiring.
They don't in fact return from Hawaii against the trades. The usual route is to go North and try to pick up favourable winds.
The full keel etc etc may not be absolutely necessary but a boat designed for comfortable shorthanded cruising may well be preferable in the long term for long distance cruising, just as a racer may be more suitable for racing.
Old 11-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporter View Post
She's an 84 cutter rig. No teak on deck all fiber glass. She has 100 gallons of fuel, 100 gallons of water, water maker, solar panels, auto pilot, Monitor wind vane, 6 bank house baterries 748 amps, 1 starter batterie, cruising spiniker, 2 mains, roller furling, 3 anchors 300 feet 3/8 chain rode. Radar, wind, knot and depth finder. New stays in 97, new bottom paint in 06 no blisters. Many extras. Asking mid 90K. Shes been cruising Mexico when I found her in Lapaz. I bought her in 98 with the thought of cruising when retired. Unfortunately personal life issues came about and decide to either sell her or just live aboard. Only sailed her a couple times since owning her so pretty green on the boats performance. She's very clean and well maintained.
Your price isn't out of line. Tayanas are heavy even by my standards, but the absence of teak is going to attract someone who likes the type but has spent five minutes thinking about the upkeep of teak over fibreglass. Good luck selling her and it's too bad you feel you have to. If it's in good condition, it would make a good couples cruiser.
Old 11-16-2007

Valiente, Thanks for the input. Yes, heavy boat 33K hanging on the straps. I really love the boat but hate to see it sit at the dock. She should be on the move enjoying the life. Agree perfect boat for a cruising couple. The aft cabin acts as a nice storage area when on the move. I haven't put her up for sail as of yet but if someone is looking for that style of boat I would let her go so she could enjoy the life.

Thanks again !

S/V Tundra Spirit