Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Gasp... did CD suggest a boat other than a Catalina... Say it ain't so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Mike,

It is the wrong boat. Sorry. Buy a Tayana 37 for that run. It will not be much more money upfront and the in the end will likely be less money.

People have done it... it has been done many times. If you are serious that this is the only boat you would consider doing it, I will put some thought into it. I just hope it is not intended to be an academic excercise on my part. WHy THAT boat?? 80's-90's will get you a T-37 that will be close to making that trip and outfitting a c36 at 60k may cost you more than that.

I am not trying to be difficult, honetsly. I am just trying to understand. PM me if you would like or we can discuss over the phone.

- CD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Sorry. There are at least 50 of these for sale, most with offshore gear. Nada gives 49150 for an 84 Tayana plus an allowance for gear. Some I know have been on the market for a couple of years. Top condition, new motor still major negotiation.
Old 11-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporter View Post
Valiente, Thanks for the input. Yes, heavy boat 33K hanging on the straps.

That's incredible. I have (as mentioned elsewhere) a steel 40 footer cutter with vast tankage that weighs 29,500 lbs. in the straps. The boat beside me in the yard is a Tayana 45, and while you wouldn't think a steel tank like mine would have anything to worry about, but I wish it wasn't upwind of me when those winter gales start blowing. It's the only boat heavy enough to crush mine like a pop can if its cradle failed.

Of course, my full keel might act like a wedge...
Old 11-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... valiente, you're steel beastie is a bit heavier in construction than a pop can. Besides, isn't that what insurance is for???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
Sorry. There are at least 50 of these for sale, most with offshore gear. Nada gives 49150 for an 84 Tayana plus an allowance for gear. Some I know have been on the market for a couple of years. Top condition, new motor still major negotiation.
Yes, but I consider Tayanas in good condition like Bayfields or Gozzards: Sentiment and pure esthetics mean that a boat in prime condition can command a bigger premium than the average, whereas a stock Hunter 33 is going to "trade", so to speak, in a more narrow range.

If people want them, it's what the market will bear (look at used Shearwater 45s, I know I have...). If they don't, get out the 30% off signs. C&C 35s command a premium locally, because they hit a known sweet spot of size, comfort, speed and "fun", even though they are 20-30 years old now and frequently have sodden decks and tired stays.

My own boat is unusual enough that I bought it at a discount to what I could get for it in, for instance, Europe, where unrusted steel pilothouses are understood and desirable. This difference is profound enough that it would be worth it to sail it to Europe emptied of personal possessions and selected gear and to sail it to a brokerage in France or Holland. The tax implications of this are unclear as of yet, but I've had inquiries here in Canada from visiting Europeans enough to convince me it's not a crazy notion.

I suppose the only upside to owning a boat that doesn't sell is that you may just give up and sail the thing for its intended purpose. Worse outcomes are conceivable.
Old 11-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Chris...NADA means "NADA" when it comes to pricing boats. They are really not even a great indicator on cars...but closer. The BUC book is closer and for a T37 1984 boat in AVERAGE BUC condition here is their range:
Retail Price Range:* $72,200-$79,400
Please see the vessel condition table below, to determine how condition affects market value.
A boat in top BUC condition adds 15-20% .
www.bucvalue.com is a better site to use when evaluating prices of boats with reasonable production runs. It fails miserably on short production or custome boats.
Old 11-16-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Umm... valiente, you're steel beastie is a bit heavier in construction than a pop can. Besides, isn't that what insurance is for???
I've already come as close to testing my "durability of steel" theories this year as I care to (see below) My boat's insured for $25,000 more than we paid for her, but to build a copy would cost about $400,000...no thanks.

Old 11-16-2007
Telstar 28

Next year, I guess you'll have to see how Alchemy does as an Icebreaker.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-17-2007

SYMandalay is on a distinguished road
It's important to really assess what you are going to do with the boat. I know numerous people who have spent a fortune on an offshore boat only to find they did not like "offshore" for one of many reasons.

A Catalina 36 is certainly capable of what 99% of sailors do.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.